U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 04:51 PM

4,725 posts, read 6,054,778 times

Advertisements

I think it boils down to size. If DTFW was as large as DTD it would only have pockets of activity too. It works both ways.If DTD was smaller it would feel as busy and bustling as FW.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 03:43 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,007,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I think it boils down to size. If DTFW was as large as DTD it would only have pockets of activity too. It works both ways.If DTD was smaller it would feel as busy and bustling as FW.

Manhatten is bigger than Downtown Dallas and I feel much safer walking there than I do in Downtown Dallas. There are more people walking around, hot dog vendors on many of the corners, bars open all over the place, etc. Also, the typical ground floor of most buildings have a retail establishment.

I would venture to guess that the average person in Dallas cannot name ten places to grab a bite to eat in DT Dallas.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:13 PM

743 posts, read 1,176,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post

Manhatten is bigger than Downtown Dallas and I feel much safer walking there than I do in Downtown Dallas. There are more people walking around, hot dog vendors on many of the corners, bars open all over the place, etc. Also, the typical ground floor of most buildings have a retail establishment.

I would venture to guess that the average person in Dallas cannot name ten places to grab a bite to eat in DT Dallas.
Manhattan isn't a business district. I doubt you've walked around 145th Street and felt safer than you would in Pegasus Plaza.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
Manhattan isn't a business district. I doubt you've walked around 145th Street and felt safer than you would in Pegasus Plaza.

Manhattan had 353.7 million square feet (32,860,000 m²) of office space in 2001.[17]
Midtown Manhattan is the largest central business district in the world.

Per Wikipedia.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:23 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,473,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
When do you expect to make your move to Ft Worth ?
Hello - was UpstateBooster, now Made_it_To_the_Metroplex.... Moved to Dallas last week.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:30 AM

1,470 posts, read 1,616,021 times
Not saying that Dallas is horrible, it has it's perks, but I hate driving down there, because I always get lost; all the twists and turns, and the difficulty in reading the signs or shortages of signs, and the construction areas just make it worse. Fort Worth is a bit smaller, and I hear from many people that Fort Worth's downtown is more pedestrian friendly than Dallas, which is what I have found from my experiences. And no, you can't park for free in downtown Dallas and I'm always confused about where to park or not to, it's just too much going on in Dallas' downtown. I enjoy the quaintness of Fort Worth's downtown. I can walk pretty much anywhere and find something. They have improved Fort Worth's downtown very much, and also our cultural arts area has thrived. So many eateries, and shopping, pubs, music, nice events. I enjoy Fort Worth, it wasn't like this when I left.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 AM

743 posts, read 1,176,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post

Manhattan had 353.7 million square feet (32,860,000 m²) of office space in 2001.[17]
Midtown Manhattan is the largest central business district in the world.

Per Wikipedia.
Do you think what you've written somehow disproves what I've written?

Manhattan is home to two business districts (you forgot the Financial District). Manhattan is not a business district. Is Dallas a business district? If you meant to say you would feel safer in Midtown than in Downtown Dallas, then by all means say that. But don't be so provincial as to assume that every inch of the island of Manhattan is a business district. Or that it is uniform in its context. I doubt your vacations or business trips have taken you north of 96th Street, but it is still there. And Downtown Dallas is very much safer than the nooks and crannies of Central Harlem.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:51 AM
JJG

13,588 posts, read 20,479,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
This is one of those moments where size really doesn't matter that much.

There are several downtown areas that are of the same size or smaller than Fort Worth's and I wouldn't want to spend a few minutes in them.

(BTW, please, PLEASE keep in mind that DTFW is more than just Sundance Square... because I feel like many of you don't get that)

Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 PM

4,725 posts, read 6,054,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
This is one of those moments where size really doesn't matter that much.

There are several downtown areas that are of the same size or smaller than Fort Worth's and I wouldn't want to spend a few minutes in them.

(BTW, please, PLEASE keep in mind that DTFW is more than just Sundance Square... because I feel like many of you don't get that)
The activity on main street and around the westend is equal to DTFW.If DTD was limited to just those areas it would be as big as DTFW and as busy.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
Do you think what you've written somehow disproves what I've written?

Manhattan is home to two business districts (you forgot the Financial District). Manhattan is not a business district. Is Dallas a business district? If you meant to say you would feel safer in Midtown than in Downtown Dallas, then by all means say that. But don't be so provincial as to assume that every inch of the island of Manhattan is a business district. Or that it is uniform in its context. I doubt your vacations or business trips have taken you north of 96th Street, but it is still there. And Downtown Dallas is very much safer than the nooks and crannies of Central Harlem.

We could argue the points of geography, but the original point of my post is that I feel, along with most everyone in my office (we work for a bank that has several offices in NYC) much safer walking around the City than we do walking around DTD.

Why do we feel safer? Is it because there is generally more foot traffic? Is it because there is generally more activity (bars, restaurants, stores, etc.)? Is it because of the police? Is it because you can always catch a cab? I am sure everyone in my office has different reasons, but the point is the same, DTD is still pretty scary and there is not much going on at night that is positive.

Maybe DTD will make a comeback, but I am not so sure. Projects that should be positive, like the Museum Tower, have been a disaster. Moreover, they are building up Uptown and Victory Plaza rather than remodeling space downtown. There are at least two major office buildings facing foreclosure in DT, whereas they are buidling new buildings in Uptown left and right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas