Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:13 PM

574 posts, read 1,478,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenBook777 View Post
I was born and raised in LH and my mom still resides in the home there. I would search for homes zoned for Lake Highlands Elem., White Rock Elem., or Merriman Park Elem. White Rock Elem is the current 'hot spot' for families with homes selling very quickly. Not sure if you can find one in your price range for White Rock Elem, but if not, LH Elem is an exemplary blue ribbon school.

This might work really well for them if they don't want much yardwork:
9218 Highedge Cir Dallas TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11596251 - Realtor.com®
Looks cute! Not sure why this didn't come up on my search. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I second Ridgewood Park -- Dallas, Texas - a lot of new development in this area, DART, Katy Trail extension, White Rock Lake and very near SMU/UP, NorthPark, Greenville Avenue and the wonderful Central Market.
Yes I like this area but they really want to stay around $175k...not much was coming up for me. But I think I need to search realtor.com instead of the one I was searching (rhymes with webby...).

Old 06-28-2011, 09:37 PM

65 posts, read 122,530 times
Mami2emily, it might not have come up if you were only searching for single family detached. It is a duplex. Glad you liked it .

Old 06-29-2011, 09:54 AM

20 posts, read 57,746 times
Default split neighborhoods

I would disagree about parts of the forest meadow area turtle creek was talking about. The Moss Meadows, Moss Farm and twin bridge areas are all very nice settled between Greenville to the west, Abrams to the east, Royal to the north and Forest to the south. The elementary school is Moss Haven which is still a good school. This area is surrounded by low income apartments that attract most of the attention but most of the single family residences are patrolled by DPD and private armed security.

I'd say Moss Haven, Merriman Park, Lake Highlands, White Rock, and Wallace are the sought out schools. Some parents send their kids to Hamilton Park Pacesetter. Some people will tell you to stay away from Skyview, Northlake and the elementary schools north of LBJ.

I live in the Highland Meadows area just east of the L-streets, which our neighborhood is split in half between DISD and RISD. Some kids on the RISD side go to Wallace others start at private schools like St. Patrick or Highlander. I have an infant so schools aren't an issue yet but in north and north east Dallas you have to really pay attention to the district and school boundaries.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:06 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fndallas View Post
I would disagree about parts of the forest meadow area turtle creek was talking about. The Moss Meadows, Moss Farm and twin bridge areas are all very nice settled between Greenville to the west, Abrams to the east, Royal to the north and Forest to the south. The elementary school is Moss Haven which is still a good school. This area is surrounded by low income apartments that attract most of the attention but most of the single family residences are patrolled by DPD and private armed security.

I'd say Moss Haven, Merriman Park, Lake Highlands, White Rock, and Wallace are the sought out schools. Some parents send their kids to Hamilton Park Pacesetter. Some people will tell you to stay away from Skyview, Northlake and the elementary schools north of LBJ.

I live in the Highland Meadows area just east of the L-streets, which our neighborhood is split in half between DISD and RISD. Some kids on the RISD side go to Wallace others start at private schools like St. Patrick or Highlander. I have an infant so schools aren't an issue yet but in north and north east Dallas you have to really pay attention to the district and school boundaries.
11 murders in central/north Dallas last year and 3 of them were in the "Forrest Ghetto" neighborhoods just south of LBJ. The only murder this year is also in that neighborhood. It is ROUGH.

There are nice neighborhoods off Abrams north of Royal- I have family members who live in the neighborhood west of Abrams. But beware the parts of the area that look/ feel sketchy becasue they are.

Also, your description of the neighborhood with Royal to the north and Forrest to the south makes no sense at all. Forrest is north of Royal.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:18 PM

922 posts, read 1,697,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
11 murders in central/north Dallas last year and 3 of them were in the "Forrest Ghetto" neighborhoods just south of LBJ. The only murder this year is also in that neighborhood. It is ROUGH.

There are nice neighborhoods off Abrams north of Royal- I have family members who live in the neighborhood west of Abrams. But beware the parts of the area that look/ feel sketchy becasue they are.

Also, your description of the neighborhood with Royal to the north and Forrest to the south makes no sense at all. Forrest is north of Royal.
2010 map

* old print screen, one at Lake Ray Hubbard was dropped..

2011 map

yellow dots = double murders

Old 06-29-2011, 12:36 PM

20 posts, read 57,746 times
Turtle creek, you are correct I meant Royal to the south and Forest to the north. The crimes comes out of the apartments off of forest lane from stults road to audelia. But the residential areas like Moss Farms, Merriman Park Estates are still nice, but they are surrounded by the low income apartments as I mentioned.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:43 AM

"Forrest Ghetto" ... does that include anything feeding into Forest Meadow Junior High? My parents really liked several townhomes in a gated complex just off Skillman and south of Whitehurst ( Copperfield Homes). Now wondering if it's gated for safety issues. It feeds into Skyview Elementary and Forest Meadow JH.

Very hard to find a small house with updated kitchen/bathrooms for around $170k...but we keep looking!

Old 07-09-2011, 01:47 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Are you talking about Coppertown Lane? I know people who live in that area and it is a nice little pocket surrounded by a bit of yuck. No one I know who lived there or currently lives there used Skyview Elementary as it is full of transient low income apartment kids despite the fact it is surrounded by nice houses. The people I know went private or magnet - or they didn't have kids. In fact one attorney I know went to enroll their child at Skyview and the front desk person at the school told this lady that since she is a professional homeowner she might want to find a different school. Seriously. She ignored the clerk ("How bad could it be?"), enrolled her daughter and then withdrew her within 3 months.

But the folks I know who still live off Coppertown are very happy with it and refer to it as a "best kept secret" for inexpensive inside 635 living.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Are you talking about Coppertown Lane? .
Yes! My parents (early 70's) really liked it; I want to make sure it's an o.k. area for them. Mom is now receptive to townhomes, which will open a lot more possibilities in their price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas