Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 11:03 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,331 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I relocated to Houston from Tennessee about a year ago because of economic failures in Nashville and while we liked it at first we've really grown to hate Houston for the crime above all else and the overall feel that we're no longer living in America.

We spent about two weeks a few months ago in DFW and kinda liked the feel of the metroplex although our hotel was in Plano. I don't know too much about Dallas but is there as large a hispanic population in Dallas as there is in Houston ? Is the crime really that bad in Dallas ? Plano and the northern suburbs and Arlington seemed really nice but I also know the show "The first 48" is basically based around Dallas.

Right now, We like Texas but we're looking for more of an American Texas, I think if Dallas falls through we'll likely move to the North East or West Coast but prefer to stay in Texas if at all possible.

I hope I didn't sound prejudice our rude above towards hispanics because that's not the case, My wife and I are just overwhelmed and had heard about the friendliness of Texas but Houston has really soured us on that.

Any information you can provide would be great, Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 11:26 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,209,830 times
Quote:
is there as large a hispanic population in Dallas as there is in Houston
I lived in Houston for 25 years then 10 in Dallas... all as an adult. I encountered far more hispanics in my daily Dallas than in Houston. Though my life in Houston was mostly on the west side. In Dallas, north of but near downtown. My work was in Las Colinas or north Irving.

I think it may have more to do with what you do and where you go. Otherwise I'd say... Go for the adventure.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:32 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I lived in Houston for 25 years then 10 in Dallas... all as an adult. I encountered far more hispanics in my daily Dallas than in Houston. Though my life in Houston was mostly on the west side. In Dallas, north of but near downtown. My work was in Las Colinas or north Irving.

I think it may have more to do with what you do and where you go. Otherwise I'd say... Go for the adventure.
That's what I was affraid of. I appreciate the reply.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:44 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,032 times
If your price range is about $250,000 + I would suggest Prosper,Southlake or west Flower Mound depending on which actual town location suits you best.The DFW suburbs are truly one of the best places to live.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:05 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
Prosper would be an exurb if you ask me.. you should also consider neighborhoods south of 635/LBJ, they tend to have better appreciation and trees!

Old 06-30-2011, 07:14 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,032 times
Prosper is 40 minutes from downtown Dallas on the tollway.Prosper (like Southlake and Flower Mound ,has some gorgeous natural terrain,hills and trees.All 3 have done a great job at preserving trees,space and keeping lots large ( unlike my idea of a nightmare city,Frisco) I know many people who live in Collin,Denton and Tarrant counties that simply do not travel to Dallas.That is one thing about the growing Texas suburbs.They are massive in size.Plan is close to 3000,000,a true city. Frisco,Mc Kinney and Denton are large and getting larger.Many,many jobs and offices are located in these huge suburban cities,unlike in many other states.Dallas is in no way where everyone in the suburbs works.Many people have no need to travel to Dallas for work.A 40 minute drive is not a big deal to many people if they need to get to Dallas for anything else.Anyone who needs to travel to downtown Dallas for work should not be moving to Prosper.If you are traveling no further than the North Dallas Plano/border ,Prosper is the only northern suburb I would invest my money in.If I was looking for a suburbs of Fort Worth west of Dallas I would choose Southlake. If I wanted to be close to Dallas,I would go with the Highland Park or University Park.Both have their own school district ( shared ).

Old 06-30-2011, 07:36 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,755,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Hello,

My wife and I relocated to Houston from Tennessee about a year ago because of economic failures in Nashville and while we liked it at first we've really grown to hate Houston for the crime above all else and the overall feel that we're no longer living in America.

We spent about two weeks a few months ago in DFW and kinda liked the feel of the metroplex although our hotel was in Plano. I don't know too much about Dallas but is there as large a hispanic population in Dallas as there is in Houston ? Is the crime really that bad in Dallas ? Plano and the northern suburbs and Arlington seemed really nice but I also know the show "The first 48" is basically based around Dallas.

Right now, We like Texas but we're looking for more of an American Texas, I think if Dallas falls through we'll likely move to the North East or West Coast but prefer to stay in Texas if at all possible.

I hope I didn't sound prejudice our rude above towards hispanics because that's not the case, My wife and I are just overwhelmed and had heard about the friendliness of Texas but Houston has really soured us on that.

I know where you're comming from lol. I have no problem with hispanics, but I do have a problem with the fact that Houston is over ran with Illegals. There has been at least 5 LEO killed by them since we've moved to Houston 4yrs ago

Old 06-30-2011, 07:42 PM

180 posts, read 479,412 times
Just a quick question...what part of Houston do you currently live in? Houston is huge.......maybe move to a different neighborhood? I'm originally from the Houston area. Have you thought about the norther suburbs like Kingwood and The Woodlands?

Last edited by flpyrner; 06-30-2011 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: Re-read OP more closely

Old 06-30-2011, 07:58 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Hello,

Well...ya do.

I think you just need to move to a small town with a mostly white population. I think there's nothing wrong with that, you just need to admit what you want. Try Lubbock or Amarillo or some of the other Panhandle areas. It should also be more in your price range (Arlington and Plano are not in it). Large cities are not for you.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:04 PM

333 posts, read 1,021,456 times
I live in Plano and see way more Indian and Asian population than Hispanic, which is great since I am somewhat anti-social and those groups leave me alone more than nosy white folks, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas