Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 09:13 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd323 View Post
I have no problem with someone speaking honestly about the downsides of living in the area, but you just seem to make-up stuff in your posts. Only 10% speak english? It sounds like you are the one that lives in your own bubble. Also, as for your constant complaints regarding the job market, it sounds like your problem is due to lack of any skills instead of any basis in reality. Don't believe me, then check the latest Fed Reserve Beige book:

http://www.federalreserve.gov/Fomc/B...06/default.htm

Seems like a lot of "skilled" industries are begging for workers in the Dallas area, but that's just the Federal Reserve talking...I'm sure they don't know what they are talking about.

I'll back that one up 100%. We have been looking to fill 4 positions for months (2 of those for over a year) and have had no luck. Why? Because too many people just want a check but do not want to actually work. Yes, you HAVE to show up. Yes, you MUST wait on customers and be nice. And the list goes on. Yes, YOU MUST HAVE THE REQUIRED LICENSE FOR THE JOB!!!! I know we are not alone either as we hear all the time from our own customers about their job openings. I also hear about companies expanding every day. Good people can find good jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2006, 09:52 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,916 times
imammy wrote:
Quote:
Is dallas a fairly diverse city? I'm indian/pakistani and muslim and am wondering if there are areas to avoid being of this nationality and culture, however i was born and raised in the states. Are there certain areas where you can find a heavier concentration of muslims?
Many of my coworkers in Plano are Indian/Pakistani. Most of them live in the North Dallas/Plano/Richardson area. According to the US Census Bureau Asian Indian/Pakistani represent about 1.3% of the population in Dallas county and about 2.3% in Plano (sorry there were not stats for Collin county as a whole, and I'm to lazy to compile the stats city by city). Which is from just under 2 to right at 3 times the national average of 0.75%.

According to Google maps there are Mosques in Richardson, Plano, Carrollton, Irving, and Arlington. Plenty of Indian restaurants and even two Pakistani. I think most of the Metroplex is open and accepting to different cultures, although I would always recommend using some common sense when out on the town, expecially in an area you are unfamilar with. Also I'd caution anyone to try and avoid areas with high crime.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:12 AM

10 posts, read 26,631 times
naturally....thanks for the insight. I'll have look more into the mosques in the plano region...the more and more it seems, the more and more plano and garland seem to stand out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
imammy wrote:

Many of my coworkers in Plano are Indian/Pakistani. Most of them live in the North Dallas/Plano/Richardson area. According to the US Census Bureau Asian Indian/Pakistani represent about 1.3% of the population in Dallas county and about 2.3% in Plano (sorry there were not stats for Collin county as a whole, and I'm to lazy to compile the stats city by city). Which is from just under 2 to right at 3 times the national average of 0.75%.

According to Google maps there are Mosques in Richardson, Plano, Carrollton, Irving, and Arlington. Plenty of Indian restaurants and even two Pakistani. I think most of the Metroplex is open and accepting to different cultures, although I would always recommend using some common sense when out on the town, expecially in an area you are unfamilar with. Also I'd caution anyone to try and avoid areas with high crime.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:16 PM

20 posts, read 77,690 times
Default Since you have family in Houston...

Go East Dallas along I-80 you will find some surprising prices in low crime areas with A+ schools in your price range-but the drive might not be to your liking.

Oh and as a personal note to "Want out of Texas"...come to Miami...you will have a never-ending litany of things to complain about. You'll be very happy here. I'm really not sure of what we are most proud of...having the title of the 'rudest drivers in the US' or the "F" schools, or the outrageous home prices....but then again the FL voters never saw a Tax Increase they didn't love! That's something we're REALLY proud of. Yes...You'll be VERY happy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas