Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:13 AM

4 posts, read 5,729 times

Advertisements

Hi every one,
i am new to this site. i moved to TX recently. i work in South Lake. Can you guys recommend me which place to buy a house. i am looking for Best Schools and good Community with lots of activities for Kids. How is Flower Mound? are there any new construction going on in that area and how r the Schools? How about West Plano, Frisco, Allen? what about the Schools and Property Tax? i am ready to commute 30min drive if its the best place for kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 06:06 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,480 times
The only one what could work with a 30minute commute would be Flower Mound. I think you would b nuts to consider Allen, Frisco or West Plano and work in Southlake.

Why not Southlake? They have great schools.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:29 AM

663 posts, read 1,725,010 times
You seem to be zeroing in on places that are pretty far away from Southlake. Any particular reason why? Is there something in that area you want to live near? IMHO, the best place for kids is right there in Southlake. I'd be looking in Southlake if I could afford it or Grapevine, Keller, and Roanoke if I couldn't. That whole are is full of solid school districts with Carroll, Grapevine-Colleyville, Keller, and Northwest all right there. Even somewhere like Justin would be closer from a traffic standpoint than Flower Mound. Not that Flower Mound is a bad area. It's at least as good as the others. It's just further away.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:04 AM

695 posts, read 1,447,703 times
I agree with the other posters. If Southlake is too expensive for you, I'd be looking in towns right around that area.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:23 AM

36 posts, read 88,140 times
A lot of times realtors are familiar with areas in terms of schools, neighborhoods, crime rates etc...
I would recommend getting listings from a realtor based on your specifics and also get feedback from people living in those areas. If interested, I can provide you the info of this realtor I've used. Great guy and had no issues with him.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:47 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
look at the map
a 30 min commute could be Keller, Roanoak, Grapevine, NRHills, Bedford, Hurst, north Euless, Trophy Club, Coppell, Las Colinas/N Irving (more iffy for drive time), Flower Mound, Carrollton, Colleyville

depending on WHERE in Southlake--maybe into Haslet, Saginaw, Azle if you are on the west side of Southlake

money will drive your choices--
some towns are way more expensive than others--Colleyville and Southlake have NO apartments and rental homes are generall expensive unless you are willing to take an older home that needs remodeling that the owners are renting out just to cover the tax bill while they wait for someone to offer to buy the lot

within your budget you just have to make the best choice for what schools and neighborhoods work for you

there is plenty of info about all of those towns I mentioned on this forum--
just run a search for them and see the threads

Old 07-08-2011, 09:23 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
What's your budget? There is some new construction in Flower Mound right now, but it is all in the 400k+ range. I can point out specific areas to look (was driving around there with my mom last night looking for lots) if it fits your budget. The schools in Flower Mound are excellent.

Keller is nice too--definitely new construction there. Not sure about the schools.

Southlake is great in itself as well. Not sure on new construction.

Grapevine is nice, but I would try and get into Southlake schools--Grapevine schools are in no way bad, but I wouldn't put them on the "best" list.

I'd stay west of 2499/airport construction if you can, just because of traffic concerns, although it wont last forever.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:52 AM

6,824 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Hard to narrow your choices without you giving us your budget. There are plenty of great school districts in that part of town. No need of us recommending South Lake if your budget is 200k. Giving a little more information will help narrow down your choices.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:55 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,558,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse View Post
I agree with the other posters. If Southlake is too expensive for you, I'd be looking in towns right around that area.
Agree too.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:06 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInTX View Post
West Plano, Frisco, Allen?.
You left out McKinney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas