Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 07:58 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,227,286 times

Advertisements

In late October, I will be arriving at Love Field at around 6:00pm and would like to take either Midway Rd or Marsh Ln to my hotel around Brookhaven College instead of the Dallas North Tollway because I see on the map that it runs through Preston Hollow, which I read is very pretty and has awesome looking homes. Which major N/S road would be the least congested and give me a good feel for Preston Hollow. How long would the drive be from Love Field to Brookhaven College on either of these two roads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 08:43 PM

19,776 posts, read 18,060,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
In late October, I will be arriving at Love Field at around 6:00pm and would like to take either Midway Rd or Marsh Ln to my hotel around Brookhaven College instead of the Dallas North Tollway because I see on the map that it runs through Preston Hollow, which I read is very pretty and has awesome looking homes. Which major N/S road would be the least congested and give me a good feel for Preston Hollow. How long would the drive be from Love Field to Brookhaven College on either of these two roads?
To see some great parts of Preston Hollow neither is a great choice.

Assuming you have a few minutes.....

Venture north from Love Field via Inwood. At Inwood and Park Lane (a little street a bit past Northwest Highway) hang a right, go slowly and look around. When you get to Preston hang a left and then a left on Walnut Hill proceed west until you pass Inwood again - just down the little hill hang a right on Strait Lane take Strait, and look around, past Royal to Irvin Simmons and hang a left. The second house on the left is IMO the best looking new modern home in Dallas. You could take Irvin Simmon to Midway hang a right and proceed to your hotel.

This trip will take no more than 10/15 additional minutes.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:05 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
^^^ Agree

Marsh Ln would be a "straight shot" to get from Love Field to Brookhaven.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:18 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Neither run through PH but are both quick direct routes to your destination.

If you want a detour, take midway to Park Lane (no traffic signal but a few blocks north of Northwest Highway) and go right. Park Lane is the heart of the estate section of Preston Hollow. You can take it all the way east to the Tollroad overpass and see some fabulous estate homes. If you're an architecture buff, the only Frank Lloyd Wright home in Dallas is south of Park Lane.

Then you can loop back and go north on Inwood and left on Walnut Hill. Quick right on Strait lane and you'll go past the mega acreage estates of Dirk Nowitzki, Ross Perot, etc. It's Dallas' "Billionaire's Row". At Royal, you can jog left to Midway and head north to Brookhaven.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
To see some great parts of Preston Hollow neither is a great choice.

Assuming you have a few minutes.....

Venture north from Love Field via Inwood. At Inwood and Park Lane (a little street a bit past Northwest Highway) hang a right, go slowly and look around. When you get to Preston hang a left and then a left on Walnut Hill proceed west until you pass Inwood again - just down the little hill hang a right on Strait Lane take Strait, and look around, past Royal to Irvin Simmons and hang a left. The second house on the left is IMO the best looking new modern home in Dallas. You could take Irvin Simmon to Midway hang a right and proceed to your hotel.

This trip will take no more than 10/15 additional minutes.
Good post! I didn't see it and basically posted the exact same thing!

Old 07-09-2011, 12:39 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,563 times
No doubt Park Ln and Strait Ln in PH are the most elegant areas in TX...and arguably more elegant than any residential areas in US outside SiliconValley's Woodside

But...arguably an integral part of elegance is that homes are on >>2ac lots, so rarely see much of note from street beyond an impressive gate and leafy privacy landscaping/trees, maybe a roofline in distance depending upon topography, even in daytime, let alone in dark

In era of Net, fairly easy to analyze any major area (or specific house) on planet via bing aerial views, google street views, websites of top bespoke builders like sebastian (in case of Dallas), etc etc...often, virtual tourism is more effective&efficient than actually driving around an area

HP is more like SF's PacHts or LA's Westside or Chic's LincolnPk where big, new, post-teardown houses are on mockably puny, townhouse-like lots w/zero privacy...fairly tacky IMO for >$10MM houses to be easily visible from public rd to tourist (or other) voyeurs...but to each his own

Old 07-09-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
No doubt Park Ln and Strait Ln in PH are the most elegant areas in TX...and arguably more elegant than any residential areas in US outside SiliconValley's Woodside

But...arguably an integral part of elegance is that homes are on >>2ac lots, so rarely see much of note from street beyond an impressive gate and leafy privacy landscaping/trees, maybe a roofline in distance depending upon topography, even in daytime, let alone in dark

In era of Net, fairly easy to analyze any major area (or specific house) on planet via bing aerial views, google street views, websites of top bespoke builders like sebastian (in case of Dallas), etc etc...often, virtual tourism is more effective&efficient than actually driving around an area

HP is more like SF's PacHts or LA's Westside or Chic's LincolnPk where big, new, post-teardown houses are on mockably puny, townhouse-like lots w/zero privacy...fairly tacky IMO for >$10MM houses to be easily visible from public rd to tourist (or other) voyeurs...but to each his own

Virtual tourism?! Hah- most people still like to explore cities the old fashions way, by walking or driving around.

All but 1 or 2 Park Lane estates are entirely visible from the street. The Lacertr estate is an exeption, but if you go north on the western side street (Ravine?), you can see the estate's ponds and baseball diamond. The home sold about two years and was the most expensive sale ever in Dallas- around $35M.

Strait Lane is more secluded. Even still, most homes on the west side of the street are visible and maybe half the homes on the east side.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:05 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,227,286 times
Thanks for the routing suggestions. I think I'll take a look on the return trip back to the airport, since I'll have more sunny daylight hours to enjoy looking at the beautiful homes. Going directly from Love Field to the Brookhaven College area on either Marsh Ln or Midway Rd, how long will it take at around 6:00pm? Is there a lot of rush hour traffic at this time and is one road better than the other?

Old 07-10-2011, 02:49 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,362 times
Marsh doesn't run through Preston Hollow at all. You won't really be impressed by anything driving down it. Midway runs along the edge of Preston Hollow and is a lot more scenic than Marsh, but there are hardly any businesses until you get to LBJ so don't expect to stop for a burger or anything. If you're hungry, there are many restaurants on Northwest Hwy going west from Midway, including a few at the shopping plaza at NW HWY and Midway.

I live between Marsh and Midway and traffic doesn't really get congested on these two streets. Northwest Hwy can get fairly congested and LBJ is terrible. Google Maps is probably pretty accurate as to how long it'll take. Between the two, I'd take Midway for the more scenic route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas