Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2011, 06:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,057 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I am an IT professional and trying to understand more the job market in Dallas Vs. Houston Vs. Austin. I have an opportunity lined up that I can take up in either of the three locations.

Does anyone have any advice on the job market and cost of living in these areas? In Dallas, I am considering (Grapevine/Euless), Houston (Sugarland) and Austin (not sure).

Need a response very quickly since I am relocating in 2-3 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 06:51 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,577,796 times
How old are you? Single/married? What do you like to do for fun? You gave us zero information to go on and asked this in a Dallas forum, so guess what? With the info provided, most folks here are going to say to come to Dallas. Also, if you want to know what the IT market is within an area, "IT professional" is very generic. If you're a programmer in the gaming industry, we might steer you toward Austin... so what's your area of specialty?

The weather differences between the three are:

- Houston - most humid of the three.
- Austin - least humid, but a bit hotter
- Dallas - about in the middle of the other two.

Brian

Old 07-10-2011, 06:18 PM

390 posts, read 712,807 times
Will you need to travel? If so, take Austin out of the mix.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:02 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,633,623 times
the locations that you mention--Grapevine/Euless and Sugarland are very different from Dallas and Houston--
check the map
Grapevine/Euless area is suburban -- not urban--like Uptown or even areas like Las Colinas in Irving (Dallas)
there are apts and restaurants and bars but not the same type of walkable environment that most people imagine when they say "city living" anc certainly not the number of young people vs married/older suburbanites
if you were working in Grapevine/Euless area you are probably NOT going to want to live in Dallas and drive a 40 min commute each way (no public transportation either)

same with Sugarland to metro Houston--

Austin is smaller metro area than Dallas or Houston but there are also outlying towns with IT presence--like Round Rock which is about 30 min north of Austin and with a horrible commute

same with Sugarland from what I know--vs Houston itself or closer enclaves in Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas