Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 08:24 PM

436 posts, read 1,348,230 times

Advertisements

Oh man, I've lived 30+ years in Dallas and am really thinking about moving TO Chicago. I love the neighborhoods, the fact you can walk many places, being close to the water. Yes, I know winters up there are long and dreary and it's more expensive. Guess I can always move back to Dallas if I've had enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 09:33 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2emily View Post
Hmmm...I have seen just the opposite. Most everyday at some point I drive along Southwestern through The Village to get somewhere. And everyday, at different times, I see people in that area running outdoors, playing ultimate frisbee, playing soccer, doing boot-camp style exercises, etc. All outdoors and during daytime hours. I wonder how they are able to do this, because I am still adjusting to this heat, but they don't seem bothered by it at all. I also see a lot of people running and biking and walking dogs in my neighborhood, often at times when I wouldn't want to be outside.

So there are people that stay indoors because of the heat, and there are those who don't let it bother them (although I hope for their sake that they are well-hydrated).
Same thing here. I've actually been surprised at the number of people I DO see running in this heat. Even in the middle of the afternoon! And once the sun starts to get low in the sky....watch out! They come out in droves!

To the OP...I'm so glad you are enjoying things here...a good attitude is everything!

Old 07-28-2011, 08:38 PM

443 posts, read 600,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychomantis View Post
I was visiting last month in the Addison, Richardson, and Plano areas and was completely amazed with how clean, modern, and well kept everything was. It was the complete opposite of the old, dirty, run down, and the general state of disrepair our roads and buildings are here in Pittsburgh. I can't wait to move there at the end of the year.
Agreed! New, Characterless, boring, bland suburbs are the way to go!

Old 07-28-2011, 11:39 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,297 times
I had to rep this. I am always trying to explain this to both people relocating from the north and to people here who think Dallas is ugly. I've only seen one area of Dallas that compares to what huge chunks of cities like Chicago, NYC and other older cities in the NE look like.

People here don't know how nice it is to have 8 10 and 12 land highways, with nice wide lanes. Abandon and dilapidated buildings are almost unheard of here. Usually no sooner does a building go vacant that it gets sold, rented, or razed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas