Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:08 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times

Advertisements

I love dogs as much as the next person but I'm not picking up dog poo. Then you have to walk down the street with poo in a bag, sorry but that isn't happening lol

Poo in a bag...eewww lol

Ya, I know I'll get flamed for that. I mean don't get me wrong, I don't agree with letting your dogs poo in someone's yard. I just don't see picking it up off the street or from some field etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 08:22 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
^
Our public walking trails are littelred with dog poo because people like you thinks its gross or beneath them to pick up after thier pet!
Our kids school playgrounds have poop all over and the kids step in it etc...
This my friend is a health hazard.
I clean up my dogs mess in my yard, when I mow or get my mail... I do not want to step in your dogs crap, in my yard, on my sidewalk or smell it on the street infront of my house!
You leave it on the street, I drive over it and then it is stinking up my garage etc....

Please if you do not want to clean up after your pet in public spaces, let it stink up your yard!

Old 07-22-2011, 09:11 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
^
Our public walking trails are littelred with dog poo because people like you thinks its gross or beneath them to pick up after thier pet!
I clean up my dogs mess in my yard, when I mow or get my mail... I do not want to step in your dogs crap, in my yard, on my sidewalk or smell it on the street infront of my house!
You leave it on the street, I drive over it and then it is stinking up my garage etc....

Please if you do not want to clean up after your pet in public spaces, let it stink up your yard!
I stopped picking up poo when our son was finally house broken lol

Anyhow, I don't own a dog. So don't blame me for your poo build up I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't own a dog in an area that requires me to pick up poo.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:14 AM

38 posts, read 76,178 times
I walk my dog without a leash. Now let me explain.............

Our dog went through 6 weeks of dog training. The training was done with a shock collar to aid in training. The resutls were amazing! Now when I walk her, the shock collar is put on and used only when she needs a correction if a command is not followed. When she ventures out too far from me, a simple command brings her back. There were a couple of times when we first started she bolted to chase a rabbit but a quick correction with the collar brought here right back. When we pass people/children, I bring her right close to me and do not let her stray. When cars approach, I make her sit where she is till the car passes. I also carry a leash just in case I thought she needed it. A well trained dog (with the backup collar for quick corrections) allows me to do so. Now, I also live in a neighborhood that is not "high traffic" so that is a factor. I would never do this unless she was trained like she is and I had the backup of the shock collar.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:15 AM

346 posts, read 498,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
^

I agree- let your dog crap all over your own yard, but there is no earthly excuse for anyone to not pick up after their own pet.

Too gross? Too icky??? Too BAD! No kidding it's gross, that's why other people don't care to step in it.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:22 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,529,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metcalf101 View Post
I walk my dog without a leash. Now let me explain.............

Our dog went through 6 weeks of dog training. The training was done with a shock collar to aid in training. The resutls were amazing! Now when I walk her, the shock collar is put on and used only when she needs a correction if a command is not followed. When she ventures out too far from me, a simple command brings her back. There were a couple of times when we first started she bolted to chase a rabbit but a quick correction with the collar brought here right back. When we pass people/children, I bring her right close to me and do not let her stray. When cars approach, I make her sit where she is till the car passes. I also carry a leash just in case I thought she needed it. A well trained dog (with the backup collar for quick corrections) allows me to do so. Now, I also live in a neighborhood that is not "high traffic" so that is a factor. I would never do this unless she was trained like she is and I had the backup of the shock collar.
Would you wear the shock collar? Off topic here but you can train WITHOUT an electrical divice shooting bolts of electric through your dogs body. Who ever invented that darn shock collar needs to be shot.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:58 AM

38 posts, read 76,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
Would you wear the shock collar? Off topic here but you can train WITHOUT an electrical divice shooting bolts of electric through your dogs body. Who ever invented that darn shock collar needs to be shot.
Ha...yep, I knew that might spark some opinions on that topic. I'm not going to get into the debate of a dog vs humans, but rest assure if you pass me on the street with my dog, you will not have to worry about your personal safety or well being.

But since you asked, I did put the collar around my wrist and felt the pulse that would be administered (multiple times) if I hit the button. It did not hurt but it was enough to get my attention. That is the purpose of a shock collar, not to shock the hell out of your dog when they do something wrong. In the hands of the right trainer and right owner, it is an effective way to get the dog that everyone wished they had.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:32 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,529,597 times
Quote:
Ha...yep, I knew that might spark some opinions on that topic. I'm not going to get into the debate of a dog vs humans, but rest assure if you pass me on the street with my dog, you will not have to worry about your personal safety or well being.

But since you asked, I did put the collar around my wrist and felt the pulse that would be administered (multiple times) if I hit the button. It did not hurt but it was enough to get my attention. That is the purpose of a shock collar, not to shock the hell out of your dog when they do something wrong. In the hands of the right trainer and right owner, it is an effective way to get the dog that everyone wished they had.

but rest assure if you pass me on the street with my dog, you will not have to worry about your personal safety or well being.

a simple lash and proper training would work- as for dogs and their potty on other yard, parks etc....yes you should ALWAYS clean up after your dog.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:44 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,433,841 times
Quote:
but rest assure if you pass me on the street with my dog, you will not have to worry about your personal safety or well being.
That is simply not true. No matter how well your dog is trained, and I do not doubt that your dog is beautifully trained, dogs are still animals. They are never 100% safe, and that is the reason it is illegal in most cities to walk them without a lead - as it should be. My sister is a vet tech, and one of the worst dog fights she ever witnessed was in front of her clinic. One dog was a regular client, a sweet thing, and a dog that regularly won shows and competitions including obedience portions. For no reason anyone has ver understood one day she went for another dog and owner. Never happened before or since. They are animals, and we do not understand everything they do. If this dog had been leashed it would have been easy to separate the animals. With only one go leashed it was more difficult. If neither had been leash, I'm sure it would have been impossible.

Leaving this aside, do you trust any other dog that might attack your dog? With a lead you have some control. No mater how well your dog is trained if it is attacked it is going to fight back. With a leash you could probably separate them, without......

There are reasons it is not only irresponsible, but usually illegal to take an unleashed dog out.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:29 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
^agree 100%
It does not matter how beautifully your dog is trained. The law is the law if you are in a city or town that requires a leash or lead then you need to obey the law. It's called being a responsible owner.

On the off chance your wonderful pet should attack another dog or God forbid a child and it is of leash, you will be sued and financially taken to the proverbal cleaners. If your dog NEVER ever strays from your side and you carry a leash, then why not have it on the dog? You are not giving the dog any freedom (esp since it has a shock collar on).

AND those do hurt! We had an invisable fence in our old neighborhood (it was more rural) and yes, shock collars work wonderfully...but do not tell me they are minimal! my hand got zapped once and it hurt very bad.

Everybody thinks thier dog is the most wonderful family pet and would never hurt a fly... we have 2 vets in the family and they can tell you horror stories about family pets that have been "set off" for no reason. Nothing is 100%, I would not take the chance that docil dog would not hurt someone etc...because it never has. ALL animals are unpredicable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas