Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 03:51 PM

392 posts, read 749,117 times

Advertisements

I get to see what all this fun and enjoyment is all about tomorrow in San Antonio. The vehicle registration and driver's license process in Baton Rouge is VERY easy and nice. There's even a "Driver's License Express" location in another part of BR away from the OMV main office for the parish that was for renewals and such, where you could whip in and out in no time. I got my Texas inspection today, and the guy at the oil change joint that did it, handed me my inspection certificate, and told me "take care of this all the way to the tax office. If there's so much as a crease, fold, or stray mark at all on this piece of paper, they will send you right back over here."

What else is stupid is having to sacrifice my Louisiana ID for a PAPER one in Texas, and then I get to wait for however long until they decide to send me one... I have to travel soon, so I have to use my passport just for going out of state. They handed us a license/ID in Louisiana on-the-spot.

I live in San Antonio, but am thinking of going to New Braunfels for my actual driver's license, for possibly shorter lines. Do you have to do it in the county where you're living, or can I just go wherever in Texas for that, like the suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 07:42 AM

42 posts, read 67,065 times
Just got my plates and DL. It was fun and interesting. When I went to get my plates they were "nicely" explaining to a woman that the insurance info she handed them was fraudulent and they could have her arrested. The man said "they didn't tell you that when they sent you in here did they"? He then proceeded to keep everything. Hopefully they catch the little scammers!!!

Then when I went to get my DL, it was funny to watch all the workers. I went in on a Thursday which is their late day. I went in at 9 and there were maybe 4 workers. 10 rolls around and 4 workers stumble in. And I'm talking 10, not 9:55. They then proceed to go in a back room. At maybe 10:15, 10:20 they "finally" come out to start their shift. The same thing happened with every worker who came in. Now I don't know about the rest of yall but I have never worked for a company that allows you to start your shift 15 minutes after it begins. I'm sitting there thinking "I need to get a job working for the TDOT"

Also there was one worker who I swear was drunk. She came stumbling down the hallway and stumbling around the area they worked at. Holding her coffee cup, wearing her gold outfit with her gold high heels. She was missing her cigarette though.

But anywho in Pennsylvania you made your appt online for your driving test. It might be months later but at least you weren't waiting in line for hours to make an appointment. Other than that it was the same waiting game there as it is here. The workers are friendlier here I must say.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:13 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,529,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones11 View Post

Also there was one worker who I swear was drunk. She came stumbling down the hallway and stumbling around the area they worked at. Holding her coffee cup, wearing her gold outfit with her gold high heels. She was missing her cigarette though.

The workers are friendlier here I must say.
After a few at break time

Old 07-25-2011, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicePlusMom View Post
STAY AWAY from the Rockwall office this week. We have gone three times already to the Rockwall location which is recommended as one of the better locations. Twice the lines were too long to bother. Today, we took a day off work and were up at 5 am and in line before 6 am at the Rockwall location that opens at 8 AM. We were 5th in line. Just before we were called to the desk at 8:20 am, the employee announced that all driving tests were full for the day. They took 4 people today for 15 min driving tests. There reasoning was they are understaffed and the driver test employee has a court appointment this afternoon. There were at least 30 people in line behind us that were there for driving tests. No better in McKinney. You have to stand in line for several hours in order to secure an appointment for a driving test 2 + weeks later. That is at least 2 days off of work. Why can't an appointment be made over the phone or online? And everyone says not to go near the Plano office. And then the only time they answer the phones in the offices is when their systems are down and they are incapable of helping anyone in person. They claim "it is always bad in the summer and don't dare go on a Monday or a Friday." People have to take multiple days off work, arrive hours before offices open (the first in line at Rockwall was there since 2 am). So my question is - where can I go now for the 4th time and have my son actually walk out with a driver's license???
Had the exact same experience at Rockwall, we have been there twice in the last week. The first time was on the same day as the above poster when the DMV employee was out in the afternoon. Today we arrived a little after 6 and the line was twice as long as it was the last time probably at least 50 people or more there for the driving test. By 8:20 they announced that all slots were full. We talked to one of the last people to get an appointment and they said that they had arrived at 4:30 am. I am retired military and I have lived in 6 different states and I have to say that the DMV here is, by far, the most inefficient and least modernized of any that I have experienced. Even Maine, where I lived last, who has one the poorest economies in the country had 3 to 4 times as many employees and an automated ticketing system. It is absurd that you have to camp out overnight just to get a simple driving test. Another note, we have been into the Rockwall office several times and the employees are not very helpful and we have seen them be outright rude to people at times.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:29 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
guys
what do you think will happen when the budget cuts really kick in--
MORE time wasted trying to get some personal attention at the DMV

do you think any legislator has to do this--or the gov---
special rules for special people--

and frankly I hope everyone who voted for Perry has to wait a long time...
I could see this coming two years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas