Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:04 AM

111 posts, read 194,441 times

Advertisements

Okay, I moved to Dallas,Texas from Oklahoma in September of 2010. I waited to get my license plates and driver's license to make sure I would like it here.

Well, I do love it here, and I had no problem getting my plates. But since I had unknowingly let my driver's license expire in February, I found out, after standing in line for over an hour, that I had to re-take the driver's license test. Taking the written exam and the eyesight exam was no problem. But I apparently have to take the road test also. This means standing in line once again to just make an appointment! And then I have to wait two more weeks to take the test!!

This has to be the most screwed up system I have ever seen. Because of all the kids wanting to take their tests, apparently the system is swamped. The thing is, when I look at the lines of people, I don't see that many kids. What the hell is the deal with this state? It looks as though the whole Department of Public Safety needs to be revamped.

Is there a shortcut I can take to get this drivers license thing done? I've been driving for over 30 years and am amazed I have to take a road test. Is there a station in the Dallas area that is less busy than the others?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 11:17 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,502,217 times
Uh- you can take the behind the while in Garland and in Rockwall by just walking in....unless they have changed things since about 6 months ago>>>>

Old 07-14-2011, 11:18 AM

574 posts, read 1,471,103 times
Sorry you are going through this. The process to get a driver's license in Texas is a bit different indeed. My suggestion would be to go outside Dallas to get it done. Keep hearing it is not as busy in Garland? Other people on the forum can confirm.

I just went through this (minus the road test part) at the East Dallas location. Talk about busy! What I learned while waiting in line an hour before they opened was that they give out a limited amount of numbers for the road test. The number ended with the person 2 ahead of me. Everyone behind me who was there for a road test had to come back and try again another day. So if you decide to stick it out at a Dallas location I suggest getting there at 6am or earlier...and bring a chair. Most everyone at the front of the line had brought a chair, but I was not close enough to find out at what time they got there.

Unfortunately no matter how long you've been driving, if your license expires you have to start from scratch. And I don't think Texas is the only state where this happens.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2emily View Post
Sorry you are going through this. The process to get a driver's license in Texas is a bit different indeed. My suggestion would be to go outside Dallas to get it done. Keep hearing it is not as busy in Garland? Other people on the forum can confirm.

I just went through this (minus the road test part) at the East Dallas location. Talk about busy! What I learned while waiting in line an hour before they opened was that they give out a limited amount of numbers for the road test. The number ended with the person 2 ahead of me. Everyone behind me who was there for a road test had to come back and try again another day. So if you decide to stick it out at a Dallas location I suggest getting there at 6am or earlier...and bring a chair. Most everyone at the front of the line had brought a chair, but I was not close enough to find out at what time they got there.

Unfortunately no matter how long you've been driving, if your license expires you have to start from scratch. And I don't think Texas is the only state where this happens.
Thanks for the advice. I will try Garland or Rockwall. I guess I don't have as much of a problem taking the test as I do with the procedure. Stand in line for an hour just to make an appointment? And then they're two weeks out? I think they need more driver's license stations for one thing. The one in downtown Dallas only does renewels and lost licenses. Most of the stations only do the road tests on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Some don't do the road tests at all. You would think they could expand that for the summertime if it's so much busier.

I also think they need to get the word out better about renewing your license over the internet. I would wager that a lot of people standing in line don't know they can do this. Even if they don't have internet access, they can always go to the library and use a computer there.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:35 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,434,320 times
yep its a mess! Pain in the butt to do anything.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:42 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,165,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko959 View Post
Okay, I moved to Dallas,Texas from Oklahoma in September of 2010. I waited to get my license plates and driver's license to make sure I would like it here.

Well, I do love it here, and I had no problem getting my plates. But since I had unknowingly let my driver's license expire in February, I found out, after standing in line for over an hour, that I had to re-take the driver's license test. Taking the written exam and the eyesight exam was no problem. But I apparently have to take the road test also. This means standing in line once again to just make an appointment! And then I have to wait two more weeks to take the test!!

This has to be the most screwed up system I have ever seen. Because of all the kids wanting to take their tests, apparently the system is swamped. The thing is, when I look at the lines of people, I don't see that many kids. What the hell is the deal with this state? It looks as though the whole Department of Public Safety needs to be revamped.

Is there a shortcut I can take to get this drivers license thing done? I've been driving for over 30 years and am amazed I have to take a road test. Is there a station in the Dallas area that is less busy than the others?

Thanks
I'm sure you've recognized the lessons to be understood from your experience. Remember, Texas is a destination state for residency. You're not the only person who has moved here this year. But that doesn't necessarily warrant increasing staff for unexpected growth. And Texas is cutting funding for most anything government related.

That said, my experience has always been that DL offices in outer areas and towns are not as busy. Maybe plan a trip to Llano and do the license thing there.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:44 AM

663 posts, read 1,717,100 times
Can you renew in Oklahoma without the test and then bring the now-current license to Texas to transfer?

Old 07-14-2011, 11:46 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,502,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2emily View Post

Wow Really my daughter did her behind the wheel at the Garland location right off the service road exit Broadway and we went there around 3pm and she took her test and walked out of there by 430pm.....very strange....maybe something has changed. My co workers daughter did hers in Rockwall and there was NO WAIT- NO LINE

Old 07-14-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
Uh- you can take the behind the while in Garland and in Rockwall by just walking in....unless they have changed things since about 6 months ago>>>>
It's possible they could have, since this is the busy time of year with all the teens getting their licenses. At least that's the excuse anyway. I tried calling Garland, but I keep getting the message that all the operators are busy.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:00 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,671,273 times
I've been to both Rockwall and Garland. It's hit or miss. Some days are busier than others. When I renewed my license in Rockwall I literally walked in and was the only one there besides the two clerks waiting for me. A few months later in January when my daughter went to take her road test there was a line but you could get it done that day but her appointment was for later in the day. However, there was no one there the next day for it as they had a meeting they had to be at. At the Garland location there was a line of about 2 people the next morning for me to make her appointment. I scheduled it for later that day at 2:00 and there were a few more open spots left for that day. Garland has 2 or 3 officers that give the road test. Rockwall only has 1 and if she is scheduled to be in a meeting or on vacation there is no one to take her place.

It's a busy time of year. You have all of the kids that are doing their road tests now so that they don't have to miss school. Add in all of the people from other areas coming here to get a license that have moved here. It can get pretty darn busy. As others have said, this is a popular place for people to move to and you did let your license expire. Can't really blame that on the state or the Texas DPS offices. It would be foolish for them to have an over abundance of staff "just in case" that our tax dollars would be paying for when our money could be better served in other areas.

I've heard the wait in the Plano office can be just as bad. This time of year even in the burbs I don't see it being that uncrowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas