Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 05:05 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,243 times

Advertisements

and sorry for getting us off track, Lakewooder.
All the development is good in the 'hood!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 05:43 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Mi Cocina's menu sucks for vegans.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:02 PM

256 posts, read 448,206 times
I'd like to see better tenants at Hillside village, at Mockingbird and Abrams. Tuesday morning, a dollar store, and Steinmart are crummy.

White Rock Coffee is good for drive-through but there's no way anyone is going to sit at the little table outside and enjoy the lovely alfresco ambience of a parking lot. Fuzzy's Tacos is terrible, and Pizzeria Venti just closed for good reason. How about a good BBQ, or a better deli/sandwich place than Subway? Preston Center and Snider Plaza in the Park Cities are both far more inviting.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:19 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,555,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
That is why I think most Lakewood people love Dixie House. It might be a Blackeyed Pea, but it is "our" Blackeyed Pea by a different name.
I remember the first (well...the only) time I went to the Dixie House. A friend raved about how good it was so we went to check it out. I didn't know it was actually a Black Eyed Pea, just under a different name. Though I am not a fan of BEP, I had been to one recently to meet some other friends, so I was somewhat familiar with the menu. So at the Dixie House, I kept insisting that this place must somehow be related to BEP because the similarities were glaring. But my friend was adamant..."No, No, No! It's nothing like that." She was floored (and a bit embarrassed) when the waitress told us (upon being questioned) that yes, it was a Black Eyed Pea restaurant after all. I felt bad for her, after she had talked it up so. But secretly, I was thinking Man, of all the cool places in Lakewood we COULD have gone...and we came here! hahaha!

Old 07-15-2011, 11:14 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,433,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
They are whining and throwing a tizz over something they are not even supporting.
Well I think for some it is a principal issue. the closer to local the better; therefore, in descending order of preference: national chain, big local chain, small local chain, unless you see a huge quality difference. In this case some see a quality difference one way, some the other, and some don't see at all. I know several people who eat there regularly and swear by it - I am not one of those I admit. Then there are a few who don't consider even quality. Like a quote in the old tv series "To the Manor Born" "It doesn't matter if he can do the job or not. Ned is Old Grantley" Meaning he is part of the heritage and culture of the neighborhood, and to some that supersedes all other concerns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
I know these people (I might even say some are friends).
Hey. I resemble that remark!

Tempers among some will run high till it is done, and maybe for a month after. Then no one will really care anymore.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:44 PM

617 posts, read 1,041,119 times
Here's an ungated version of the story (sssh, don't tell the DMN!)

New owners new tenants mean big changes for - Road Runner

My 2 cents: the amount of money on display in the WF parking lot is truly remarkable.

Also, Matt's chile relleno is amazing, as is the atmosphere. The Matt's patio is the first place we transplants would take out of town guests to show them the best of 75214. The margaritas do the job well. The rest of the menu is not that impressive. I don't get the Bob Armstrong dip at all. And yet, we'd go back again and again! The atmosphere is just that great.

One of the best things about the Matt's atmosphere is the almost complete lack of the "Dallas D-bag" factor -- in spite of the aforementioned impressive amount of money nearby -- said DDB factor is for me personally reason enough to avoid Knox-Henderson, Uptown and increasingly Bishop Arts (but not Jefferson Blvd.!) (to say nothing of the Bubble) -- for me one of the most congenial things about Lakewood is the way that the money as often as not comes with discretion, taste and manners, not to be taken for granted around here. However, if Mi Cocina comes through as promised with an "Austin-type" space (see article), I would be cautiously optimistic.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:42 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
Re: Hillside Village (Mockingbird and Abrams) read this extensive story -

The revitalization of Hillside Village | Advocate Magazine

"Within a matter of months last year, Hillside Village welcomed seven new tenants, most of them mom-and-pops based in Dallas. All of a sudden, the area referred to as “the shopping center at the northeast corner of Mockingbird and Abrams” once again became known by its original name, the one dubbed by the late Dallas developer W.W. Caruth when he built the shopping center in the mid-’50s"

"Caruth already had developed Inwood Village and Park Cities Village, the strip of shops on Mockinbird west of Central. But Hillside Village was to be his greatest yet, serving a burgeoning area of Dallas that, at the time, was the fastest growing with the highest income bracket"

Old 07-18-2011, 11:48 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,111 times
Don't Frisco my Lakewood!!!

I like Matt's because it is unique and has a very laid-back vibe. I don't want some fancy-shmancy Mi Cocina to replace it. Lakewood is great because it is an affluent neighborhood with a laid-back atmosphere. These new owners need to realize that and not change it too much. Otherwise, their endeavor will fail.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:51 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
Ha - a Lakewood Elem/Woodrow/SMU friend was at the HP Village Mi Cocina the other night and 'checked-in' on Facebook. She was laughing about how everyone was showboating and what a fashion show it was. Somebody posted, "tell them to keep out of Lakewood" and it prompted some lively comments!

Old 07-18-2011, 02:36 PM

256 posts, read 448,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Re: Hillside Village (Mockingbird and Abrams) read this extensive story -"
Yes, I know. Still not feeling it. As I said, Fuzzy's is pretty bad weird tacos and Pizzeria Venti lasted all of a few months. I know Rome wasn't built in a day, but how about some shade trees, benches, landscaping, a fountain, a bistro with a patio, a decent Chinese, etc., etc. Someplace where you could stroll.

I love Lakewood too, but I think we can do better up there than an IHop and a dollar store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas