Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 04:56 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Ok, I have to call this on the carpet. Judging people because they are "showboating" is just as bad as judging people because they "keep it real" in Lakewood. The fact is there are different strokes for different folks. If you don't like the brands on display in the Park Cities because they aren't the brands you prefer (and make no mistake, this mentality that Lakewood is laid back is just a brand) then don't go there. I get tired of the "we're better than you because we drive a Ford, not a Mercedes" mentality that gets tossed around on this forum. It's just as fake, just in a different way. Judging is judging. Period.

Brian
irony duly noted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 05:05 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
I don't like 'brands' period. Why does everything these days have to be a 'brand'!

Old 07-18-2011, 05:48 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
To the parking issues: I visited Portland last year and was pleasantly surprised to see how people didn't get into a tizz over having to park a few blocks from their destination (brunch, dinner, etc).
Absolutely true. This bizarre attitude that we have to be able to park three steps from the door has got to go. Also the attitude that "Oh dear God people who don't live on my street might park on my street," has to go too. Like the people who move to a street off loer greenville, and then complain about people parking on their street, noise and bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Ok, I have to call this on the carpet. Judging people because they are "showboating" is just as bad as judging people because they "keep it real" in Lakewood.
I think that depends. Were they wearing/using high end brands, or were they showboating? The two are very different. I remember my late, much missed friend, and fellow church member Bud Knight and his story (retold in the obit I linked to) of sewing in labels upside down at the request of customers, so that when they tossed their coat casually over a chair people could read the label. THAT is showboating, and I feel perfectly okay in judging/mocking those who do that sort of thing. On the other hand someone who simply bought the same beautiful expensive coat... no.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:06 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Might as well stick a pitch thru Lakewooders heart as this is going to kill him.

Matt's has already moved north of 635 into Garland up on 190. They are also opening up a location........................... in Allen.

Matt's is also in Cedar Hill and doing well there.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:34 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Don't Frisco my Lakewood!!!

I like Matt's because it is unique and has a very laid-back vibe. I don't want some fancy-shmancy Mi Cocina to replace it. Lakewood is great because it is an affluent neighborhood with a laid-back atmosphere. These new owners need to realize that and not change it too much. Otherwise, their endeavor will fail.
Haha, was on my way to post that with Whole Foods, MiCocina and Black Eyed Pea that Lakewood was turning into Plano but you beat me to it. LOL!

Old 07-20-2011, 11:17 AM

Actually that "Black-Eyed Pea" started out as Dixie House which was another restaurant in Gene Street's realm - opened around 1978 or so -- it became more of a BEP later when the company was sold. Up until a couple of years ago you got one more side dish for the same amount of money over BEP.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:10 AM

Another Lakewood landmark shopping center sold, stunning!

East Dallas shopping center changes hands | Dallas-Fort Worth Commercial Real Estate News - Business News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

"The Skillman Live Oak Shopping Center at 1900 Skillman St. and La Vista Drive contains almost 32,000 square feet of space and was built in 1948.

... Investor SK Oak LP sold the center to an Austin investment partnership. The seller was a partnership that includes Mitchell Rasansky and Leland R. Burke. Terms of the sale were not disclosed.

The purchase is the second major retail building transaction in the area in the last few months.

... In June, developer and investor Lincoln Property Co. purchased a large portion of the nearby Lakewood Shopping Center"

Old 07-22-2011, 01:59 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,689 times
Wow...and...more...

Is Lakewood the new Uptown? | www.pegasusnews.com | Dallas/Fort Worth

Old 07-22-2011, 03:02 PM

Susan Arledge, who wrote that article, is another Woodrow Wilson Wildcat famous in Real Estate and development circles.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:16 PM

"People around here don’t like a lot of change, and they do understandably like their small, locally-owned Lakewood shops. Lakewood offers a rare, small hometown feel, not often found within our Megaplex society.”

I'm don't think you can call that 'branding' - you are applying an exogenous term to something which grew organically from the early 20th century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas