Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 01:42 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
Um, thanks? How many Lakewoodians do you actually know in person because that doesn't fit many that I know.
I know a few and they're all d-bags...sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 01:43 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I know a few and they're all d-bags...sorry.
I will invite you to our next block party.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:44 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
I will invite you to our next block party.
Just as there are some people in PH who aren't d-bags, I'm sure there are people in Lakewood who aren't either. However, I see it going that way because the people with money are crowding out the people without it...and people with money, especially the nouveau riche, are more prone to douchiness. It's simple math.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:58 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,433,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Just as there are some people in PH who aren't d-bags, I'm sure there are people in Lakewood who aren't either. However, I see it going that way because the people with money are crowding out the people without it...and people with money, especially the nouveau riche, are more prone to douchiness. It's simple math.
Lakewood has been people with money since time out of mind. Stanley Marcus lived there, and there can be no name more synonymous with Dallas, and money.Some of Munger Place has as much as Lakewood - even if the homes cost less, our little local school has kids picked up in a couple of 911's and one Maserati.
The difference isn't money it is the culture of the area. People used to move to Lakewood because they A: Had money, B: Worked in the city and C: liked the East Dallas culture. Now it seems people move to Lakewood. More and more people are moving to Lakewood now because they A: Have money B: Work in the city, and C: Cannot yet afford the Park Cities, or Preston Hollow.

I have met several new residents who truly view Lakewood as Park Cityish. As an Island, as a place different from "East Dallas" instead of part of East Dallas. Friends in Junius Heights and Munger Place have had kids on sports team with kids in Lakewood, and some of the Lakewood Parents have complained about them, some actually wouldn't come to a party in Junius Heights because it was "The Ghetto". Another came and said they had been afraid, but really they were surprised it was all right. Now I don't think this is most people in Lakewood, but it is telling that A: All of these people are new residents, All came from outside Dallas, and C: No one I know in our area, can remember anything like that happening 10 years ago - when the neighborhood wasn't as nice here. This change is a change in attitude, it has NOTHING to do with money, except in so much as the more moneyed areas has a disproportionate influence on what businesses in the area do, and therefore what the neighborhood culture is.

Incidentally I have met NO ONE on these boards who matches the kind of person I am describing. Whether new resident or old. I have met many in day to day life though, and it seems more all the time.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:41 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
Anyone remember John Anders? This explains a few things about us (I have permission to use this):

Lakewood's summer of discontent (1993)
John Anders

Dallas has always been an upright sort of place. A man has to
keep on his feet in this town.

But can you believe this? Forty years ago, a boy growing up in
Lakewood could lie on his stomach in the middle of the floor at
Harrell's Drugs and read Donald Duck comic books.

Well, this was a different place in time, all right.

Eventually ol' Doc Harrell wearied of seeing his paying
customers tip-toe through this mine field of school children
spread-eagled across the floor.

On such occasions, Doc Harrell - the "mayor of Lakewood," our
neighborhood pharmacist and official baby sitter to East Dallas -
would reluctantly shoo us away from the magazine counter. Either
that, or he'd make the schoolchildren of William Lipscomb
Elementary stand or at least slouch while reading his comic books
on the cuff. We hardly ever bought any.

A mom would call up and ask her son's whereabouts. "He's
here," Doc would tell her over the phone. E.C. "Doc" Harrell knew
all of us.

Teen-age boys from Woodrow Wilson High School would screw
their courage to the sticking point before asking Doc Harrell for a
package of condoms.

"What size?" Doc would loudly ask. That usually did the trick:
The young men with red faces retreated wordlessly.

Tough times

This summer has been a long, dry season in Lakewood. The June 17
fire of suspicious origins that apparently began in the rear of a
small cafe on Gaston Avenue and gutted the Lakewood Lighthouse
Seafood Grill - the building that originally housed Harrell's Drugs
- has hit old Lakewood " Rats" like a death in the family. Several
other businesses, notably Paperbacks Plus, also were destroyed.
Many one-of-a-kind secondhand books went up in a whoosh; it was
horrible.

But the fire wasn't the end of it. More recently the Lakewood
Theater ceased its policy of showing first-run movies (although
it's fun to see vintage, hoary epics like Doctor Zhivago on the big
screen again). Worse, the ebullient balladeer G.T. Reed, of the
Lakewood Theater's adjacent Balcony Club, died several weeks ago.

On a good night, G.T. Reed sounded like Billy Eckstine on a bad
night. You couldn't get out of the place without G.T. saying,
"Thank you for choosing the Balcony Club" - even if the old crooner
had to sing those inserted sentiments in the middle of Ebb Tide.

Lakewood will bounce back from its summer of discontent, I'm
certain, buoyed by the recuperative spirit of its residents and the
strength of the center's lively 60-year history.

Perhaps the restorative powers of a celestial chile relleno from
Matt's Rancho Martinez and a sneaky-fast margarita will help
everyone's feelings, too.

I've never been able to position myself very far from White
Rock Lake or Lakewood
, and those of us who have grown up in or
around this part of East Dallas seem to have developed a sort of
islander mentality.

Getting there

Like East Dallas in general, Lakewood cannot be driven through
directly. Strictly speaking, you can't get into the place or out of
it without the patrician hand of a native shepherding you through
Lakewood's narrow shoals. Lakewood soreheads never will forgive the
City Council for screwing up Abrams Road as it cuts through the
shopping center.

But throughout the changes, for good or ill, the cone-headed
tower of old Harrell's Drugs has remained a cheering and familiar
landmark to Lakewood residents of all ages and pedigrees. Remnants
of the blackened tower are a sad, lingering spectacle while the
business of city agencies, insurance adjustors and fire officials
continues to transpire amidst the rubble.

Whether the spherical tower can be restored, rebuilt or simply
copied has yet to be decided. The future of the edifice itself is
an open question in a part of town that reveres ol' Doc Harrell's
building mainly for its memories and charm.

Naturally, we old Lakewood Rats want to see the building that
was Harrell's restored to its familiar glory. We vote the straight,
progressive ticket - against parking lots, bingo parlors and
fast-food eateries

(Note from Lakewooder - it was restored).

Old 09-23-2011, 09:55 AM

446 posts, read 1,005,174 times
I realize this is an old post, but I'm interested in the topic and missed it the first time around.

Lakewood is huge, and it's big enough for all types. We need businesses that cater to all those segments...from the Parkie-lites to the artistic working poor. It's not all that surprising that the core of Old Lakewood is going a little upscale, given that house prices have skyrocketed in the last 10 years. But there are tons of other retail spots here, and we're seeing a re-emergence of the rest of the neighborhood - Hillside Village is making a shift, and the other shopping centers at that intersection will see a halo effect. Not to mention the exciting things happening along Garland, which consensus says has lot of opportunity.

It's fantastic. Put on your shiny clothes and head West to posh it up. Put on your stretchy pants and head east for tacos and beer. All options are available, both in terms of retail/food, but in terms of housing price point and school choice. It's a good thing to have all these options, it keeps the neighborhood dynamic.

As for us being d-bags. I have certainly met my share of name-dropping, label-centric morons. But I have had no problem finding laid-back, friendly, fun people that shop primarily at Target...honestly, I find that category to be the majority, not the minority, in this neighborhood. A truly open-minded person embraces those differences as interesting, even if you can't always identify with them.

This diversity continues up into Lake Highlands, by the way, which has it's own incredibly diversity of options. It's just as vibrant as Lakewood, just quieter about it.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:23 AM

Above referenced Harrell's Drug Store this - the first store in Lakewood (now Republic Title) photographed this week (Homecoming):

The words over the triple portal: "Never forget that you are the best" - taken from "Doc" Harrell's "Your Hometown" a photo booklet mailed to all the soldiers from Woodrow in World War II. Full quote "Never forget that you are the best: from the best city, in the best state, in the best country on earth".

Mr. Harrell lost his only child, Arthur, during the war. He was a Navy Pilot and a 1944 Woodrow grad.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:26 AM

119 posts, read 352,049 times
Not a fan of Mi Cocina, but it alone will not usher in a new Age Of Douchebaggery. BigDGeek, the crack pipe isn't helping your arithmetic. Our island remains intact and relatively undisturbed. Three cheers for that & Lakewood still rocks.

The only truly pant-crapping exception would be the McMansion scorched earth policy on the streets west of Lakewood Elementary. Literally, my jaw dropped. I had no idea where I was. It's the most un-Lakewood Lakewood I can think of. Hopefully a tightly localized earthquake will restore the nature order soon.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:59 AM

82 posts, read 126,434 times
I want Lakewood to be Lakewood, not everywhere else. You can only get Lakewood in Lakewood.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:21 AM

Lincoln Property planning big White Rock retail center | Dallas-Fort Worth Commercial Real Estate News - Business News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

"Developer Lincoln Property Co. is buying both sides of Gaston Avenue at Garland Road near White Rock Lake for a major retail center.

The shopping center project will include redeveloping the property now occupied by the East Dallas YMCA, along with the two-story shopping center across the street.

The project is close to 15 acres, making it one of the largest such developments on tap for East Dallas.

“We are looking at a big retail center,” said Lincoln Property executive vice president Robert Dozier. “This is one of the best potential development sites in the city.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas