Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-11-2012, 11:00 AM
 
1,190 posts, read 2,641,283 times
Reputation: 1413

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yay, because Dallas needs more Freebird's and Starbucks.
My thoughts exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2012, 11:18 AM
 
16,087 posts, read 41,211,984 times
Reputation: 6376
I have never been to Freebirds and I am not a fan of Starbucks...as predicted the downside of all this attention and money is the appearance of chains in East Dallas.

Somebody posted a comment on this story that this could be the first HEB grocery store in Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2012, 11:58 AM
 
5,268 posts, read 6,428,748 times
Reputation: 6249
Quote:
the first HEB grocery store in Dallas.
Sort of. Central Market is owned by HEB. I'm not sure why you'd want downscale HEB if you already have upscale HEB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2012, 12:10 PM
 
1,190 posts, read 2,641,283 times
Reputation: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Sort of. Central Market is owned by HEB. I'm not sure why you'd want downscale HEB if you already have upscale HEB.
I disagree with you. My sister's have "regular" HEBs near them in Austin. They are GREAT stores. I like Central Market, but it isn't my first choice for day-to-day shopping. I would welcome an HEB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2012, 01:41 PM
 
Location: North Texas
24,561 posts, read 40,355,109 times
Reputation: 28564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I have never been to Freebirds and I am not a fan of Starbucks...as predicted the downside of all this attention and money is the appearance of chains in East Dallas.

Somebody posted a comment on this story that this could be the first HEB grocery store in Dallas.
Yeah, cos people with fat bank balances choose to eat at Chipotle. That's why Belt Line and Coit is getting one too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2012, 02:47 PM
 
16,087 posts, read 41,211,984 times
Reputation: 6376
I've never eaten at Chipolte, either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2012, 03:11 PM
 
2,348 posts, read 4,825,910 times
Reputation: 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I've never eaten at Chipolte, either...
How could you from your Ivory Tower!

You live in Dallas and act like strip malls and corporate chains are some new growing phenomena..Wrong city to live in and champion a discussion like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2012, 03:21 PM
 
446 posts, read 1,008,358 times
Reputation: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
How could you from your Ivory Tower!

You live in Dallas and act like strip malls and corporate chains are some new growing phenomena..Wrong city to live in and champion a discussion like this.
I have read many assertions here from the folks from the northern suburbs touting their locally-owned restaurants in the face of criticism about chains. Just because we are surrounded by these places doesn't mean that what they serve isn't generally substandard. And just because we are surrounded by strip malls doesn't mean they are charming. And wanting a charming environment and good quality food isn't something only the high and mighty want, it's a pretty universal preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2012, 03:50 PM
 
16,087 posts, read 41,211,984 times
Reputation: 6376
Skids, Moderator cut: Off-Topic If I am not mistaken you don't even live here - Boston right? BUT you feel qualified to comment on the mixed emotions of East Dallasites who are now getting chain restaurants that we never had in the past. IF you knew the background, you would know that the chains did not think that we had 'the demographics' to support their schemes. Some have put a few chain stores here that have failed because East Dallasites didn't think they 'were all that'. So it was not seen as a good area in which to 'expand'. This was the case about every other section of Dallas except the north, with which I would imagine you are most familiar.

We are happy that some people finally discovered that yes, we do have 'the demographics' but now we are not so sure that this is a good thing. Sorry you are having difficulty in understanding this.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-11-2012 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: Off-Topic - resolve this thru DM's, not in the forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2012, 05:29 PM
 
2,348 posts, read 4,825,910 times
Reputation: 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
skids, Moderator cut: Off-Topic If I am not mistaken you don't even live here - Boston right? BUT you feel qualified to comment on the mixed emotions of East Dallasites who are now getting chain restaurants that we never had in the past. IF you knew the background, you would know that the chains did not think that we had 'the demographics' to support their schemes. Some have put a few chain stores here that have failed because East Dallasites didn't think they 'were all that'. So it was not seen as a good area in which to 'expand'. This was the case about every other section of Dallas except the north, with which I would imagine you are most familiar.

We are happy that some people finally discovered that yes, we do have 'the demographics' but now we are not so sure that this is a good thing. Sorry you are having difficulty in understanding this.
Moderator cut: Off-Topic Just having a little fun at your expense.

But yes, my interest are in mostly the Northern and Northwest burbs I suppose. Chains galore!!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-11-2012 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: Off-Topic - - resolve this thru DM's, not in the forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top