Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 01:43 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times

Advertisements

The "Eat more Chicken" chant is from Chickfila, a fast food restaurant based in Atlanta.

I can sympathize with some of your post but you need to put any grievances with that aside.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:26 PM

27 posts, read 87,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
One must realize the history of this state and how embedded ranching is into the fabric of Texas history. This state will never be a majority vegan state. I don't see a discrimination against vegetarians, but to fault the state because it is not promoting vegetarianism considering the history of what made Texas... which in large part is an agricultural and ranching lifestyle built around beef... is rather naive, if not insulting. Why would the flagship university of the state have the Longhorn as its mascot if the state were not the epicenter of the beef industry?
Absolutely, which is why I said, comparing TX & CA from a vegetarian diet perspective is like comparing Oranges to Apples. They're completely different and one is certainly not better than the other. They're both great in their own different ways.

Quote:
It is one thing to come from another culture and want to know whether or not your differing culture will be accepted. It is a totally different thing to come into a place with a rich culture and history and then be upset... not that your lifestyle is not accepted and made available... but that the area is not promoting YOUR lifestyle at the expense of its own history and culture.
Don't know who you're addressing here - Californians / Indians ? There are meat eaters and non-meat eaters from either region. Since the discussion is around vegan / vegetarian/ organic, choices , I don't see what warrants the Our culture v/s Your culture thing you bring up.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:24 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,916 times
Lots of socioeconomic diffces amongst "Indians", not unlike o&g white Texans, or any other allegedly monolithic group

Have had Indians who were Stanford PhD engineers in SV for past ~50yrs; hell, some of their US-born kids are rather wealthy engineers/financiers in PaloAlto region these days

Even today, major diffces btwn <30yo Indians from top of class at IIT who are Stanford/Berk CS alums and now >$1MM/yr engineers at GOOG, etc vs IT support staff w/far lesser incomes and "different", perhaps ethnic tastes...not unlike economic underachievers of any ethnic gp

Much like huge diffces from an o&g drill worker/grunt engineer who may be a multi-gen Texan vs a multi-gen TX o&g entrepreneur who resides in PrestonHollow but has a wkend house on LA's Westside....and understands health/enjoyment value of grass-fed beef, organic/local CA produce, etc etc; slurps Bordeaux/Burgundy/single-malts; drives a Merc, blah-blah

US food available at upscale grocery stores/restaurants has changed dramatically over past 15-25yrs, even in allegedly sophisticated places like PaloAlto or Manhattan, etc....and even today most upscale restaurants in PaloAlto region still suck...much of why many SV yuppies choose to live in SF and drive the 35+mis each-way to offices in SV...and stuff available at upscale groceries in affluent suburbs of NYC, etc (or ironically groc stores in affluent parts of City of SF or Manhattan itself) often still sucks, whether in terms of meat/fish/veggies/fruits, no matter what one's illegal maid/toilet cleaner/cook buys and cooks....

Old 03-25-2012, 10:37 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,855,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momwithadot View Post
Don't know who you're addressing here - Californians / Indians ? There are meat eaters and non-meat eaters from either region. Since the discussion is around vegan / vegetarian/ organic, choices , I don't see what warrants the Our culture v/s Your culture thing you bring up.
The OP is about the life of Indians in Texas, not about Vegan/Vegetarian diets. I am sure vegetarianism is a valid subtopic in the larger scope of things, but didn't see that it was limited to this. Yes, I was specifically addressing your previous posts. They came across as a denigration of Texas, so it did have an air of our culture vs. your culture. I don't think I am alone in feeling this, got more rep points for my my previous post than I have for any single post in months.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:32 AM

27 posts, read 87,097 times
Quote:
The OP is about the life of Indians in Texas, not about Vegan/Vegetarian diets. I am sure vegetarianism is a valid subtopic in the larger scope of things, but didn't see that it was limited to this. Yes, I was specifically addressing your previous posts. They came across as a denigration of Texas, so it did have an air of our culture vs. your culture. I don't think I am alone in feeling this, got more rep points for my my previous post than I have for any single post in months.
My posts never once spoke ill of Texas /Texans (far less denigrate) nor do they mention any other culture, let alone tout it. It is unfortunate if people draw such conclusions.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,778 times
Default New to Dallas

Can someone please suggest places to stay in Dallas with good elementary schools nearby and is also close to noel road, dallas texas?

Old 03-17-2013, 10:11 PM

36 posts, read 95,054 times
Am Indian and moved here about 8 months ago after living in NC for 12 years. From my very limited experience so far,I see a lot of self segregation in the Indian community. I have a few Indian friends who have lived in this area for a while and they took me around to parties, every time it is a majority Indian crowd. The only places I have seen white folks mingle with Indians in a social settings are afternoon school based bday parties etc. This is your typical B-school, dual income , mid level executive , mid 30's crowd who have done well for themselves professionally but I am shocked to see their circles to be 100% Indian!
My experience is not representative but I am definitely observing self segregation because the option is there like someone else commented and this has been very different from my experience in NC.

I want my kid to grow up and experience other cultures as opposed to having a majority Indian classmates and majority Indian neighbors. Maybe I have to buy my way into it...private schools and $800k + housing and that may still not guarantee results. Maybe there is more interaction in the communities at schools etc but I am definitely not observing that at the Montessori my 3 year old goes to and am not hopeful of that in a Plano public school setting either.

I definitely like DFW with all its amenities etc but this one point above has be concerned.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:14 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
LOL.
No one is going to even think twice about you being an Indian in Dallas.

My family has been here since 1989. No troubles, no issues.

Where do people get these weird ideas?

This is one of the biggest Indian populations in the entire country.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:15 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desidon View Post
Am Indian and moved here about 8 months ago after living in NC for 12 years. From my very limited experience so far,I see a lot of self segregation in the Indian community. I have a few Indian friends who have lived in this area for a while and they took me around to parties, every time it is a majority Indian crowd. The only places I have seen white folks mingle with Indians in a social settings are afternoon school based bday parties etc. This is your typical B-school, dual income , mid level executive , mid 30's crowd who have done well for themselves professionally but I am shocked to see their circles to be 100% Indian!
My experience is not representative but I am definitely observing self segregation because the option is there like someone else commented and this has been very different from my experience in NC.

I want my kid to grow up and experience other cultures as opposed to having a majority Indian classmates and majority Indian neighbors. Maybe I have to buy my way into it...private schools and $800k + housing and that may still not guarantee results. Maybe there is more interaction in the communities at schools etc but I am definitely not observing that at the Montessori my 3 year old goes to and am not hopeful of that in a Plano public school setting either.

I definitely like DFW with all its amenities etc but this one point above has be concerned.

You have lame friends.
The only Indian friends my parents have are from their pujah group.
They see them maybe once a month or so.

All their other friends are white.

If people are segregated, they are doing it to themselves.

My brother and I went to middle school/high school in Plano, and I had no close Indian friends and he had ONE.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:12 PM

69 posts, read 120,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Lots of socioeconomic diffces amongst "Indians", not unlike o&g white Texans, or any other allegedly monolithic group

Have had Indians who were Stanford PhD engineers in SV for past ~50yrs; hell, some of their US-born kids are rather wealthy engineers/financiers in PaloAlto region these days

Even today, major diffces btwn <30yo Indians from top of class at IIT who are Stanford/Berk CS alums and now >$1MM/yr engineers at GOOG, etc vs IT support staff w/far lesser incomes and "different", perhaps ethnic tastes...not unlike economic underachievers of any ethnic gp

Much like huge diffces from an o&g drill worker/grunt engineer who may be a multi-gen Texan vs a multi-gen TX o&g entrepreneur who resides in PrestonHollow but has a wkend house on LA's Westside....and understands health/enjoyment value of grass-fed beef, organic/local CA produce, etc etc; slurps Bordeaux/Burgundy/single-malts; drives a Merc, blah-blah

US food available at upscale grocery stores/restaurants has changed dramatically over past 15-25yrs, even in allegedly sophisticated places like PaloAlto or Manhattan, etc....and even today most upscale restaurants in PaloAlto region still suck...much of why many SV yuppies choose to live in SF and drive the 35+mis each-way to offices in SV...and stuff available at upscale groceries in affluent suburbs of NYC, etc (or ironically groc stores in affluent parts of City of SF or Manhattan itself) often still sucks, whether in terms of meat/fish/veggies/fruits, no matter what one's illegal maid/toilet cleaner/cook buys and cooks....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas