Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 06:39 PM

4 posts, read 26,667 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I just got a job in Irving and am coming to Texas for the first time. I went to apartment ratings and got really scared whether to even try looking for an apartment in irving and fortworth.
crimes, drug addicts, auto theft and damage, ants,bees,mice and whatnot.
I dont know whom to approach for a sincere answer bcoz obviously agents are the last to trust. Once they have their money they're gone their way.
I dont have a very high budget. just around 800-1100$ per month for rent.but could go to around 1400$ for the right apartment.

Has anyone heard of casa valley apartments, santa fe trail. How is it? Is it safe there. What is the meaning of the words 'ghetto' and 'section 8 housing'. Is casa valley a section 8 housing.(saw it in apartment ratings)

If that is not good pls then could someone pls suggest somehting good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 09:52 PM

3 posts, read 23,567 times
What part of Irving will you be working? I used to work in Irving just north of 183 and we lived in an apartment in the Coppell/North Irving area, which was about a 20 minute drive, but it wasn't bad because I could drive right down Beltline Rd. and avoid highways. The apartment we lived in was called Fairways at Riverchase and it was very nice... we only had 800 square ft. but it was on a golf course, VERY friendly environment/neighbors, walk in closet, oversized bath tub, grocery store nearby along with lots of restaurants/shops, we really enjoyed living there.

It looks as if there are apartments called Lexington at Valley Ranch that got very good ratings from residents, so you might want to check them out. My advice is to stay in North Irving if possible... definitely north of 183.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-10-2007, 10:18 PM

709 posts, read 3,473,816 times
I'd come a little more into the Valley Ranch area if I were you but not the apartments near Landry Elementary. The ones closest to Freeman on Valley Ranch Parkway are nice. I think the ones next to Landry on Red River are section 8 if that makes a difference to you.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshinelife View Post
I'd come a little more into the Valley Ranch area if I were you but not the apartments near Landry Elementary. The ones closest to Freeman on Valley Ranch Parkway are nice. I think the ones next to Landry on Red River are section 8 if that makes a difference to you.
I am sorry to ask this again but what is section 8?

Old 08-11-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcrist View Post
What part of Irving will you be working? I used to work in Irving just north of 183 and we lived in an apartment in the Coppell/North Irving area, which was about a 20 minute drive, but it wasn't bad because I could drive right down Beltline Rd. and avoid highways. The apartment we lived in was called Fairways at Riverchase and it was very nice... we only had 800 square ft. but it was on a golf course, VERY friendly environment/neighbors, walk in closet, oversized bath tub, grocery store nearby along with lots of restaurants/shops, we really enjoyed living there.

It looks as if there are apartments called Lexington at Valley Ranch that got very good ratings from residents, so you might want to check them out. My advice is to stay in North Irving if possible... definitely north of 183.

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot. i am a first timer in texas so i have no idea how to go about this and dont have any clue about roads but i will surely take your advice.

i also went to apartment rating and read the comments for Fairways. pretty good ratings except someone saying there were lots of rats and that the carpets are thin so there seems to be lots of noise. is that true?

i got the job in las colinas boulevard. tx 75038

Old 08-11-2007, 09:38 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Section 8 is low income housing.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:32 PM

Thank you. I did not know that.
So then why should people not take apartments with section 8,
bcoz thats what i read in apartment ratings for CASA VALLEY APARTMENTS.

Is it not safe there???

Old 08-11-2007, 02:10 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Section 8 can be hit or miss. There's a neighbor who rents a house out through Section 8 and he can get drug users and dealers in there and then a nice sane family of Russian immigrants and then another family that has a lot of drama, domestic violence and what not.

I worked with a single mom of 3 who was Section 8 and she said there were a lot of rules and restrictions. Rooms can't be overcrowded and may even require every child to have their own bedroom for instance. She had to stop taking raises at work though or she would lose her Section 8 and the raise would not make up for the amount of rent Section 8 was paying. I lost track of her when she got fired for incompetence and she reunited with her ex-husband when he got out of prison for murder. And maybe I'm wrong, but I bet there was a lot of drama at her Section 8 apartment when the ex showed up. In fact, I know the police were called several times according to someone who kept up with her.

This is all I know about Section 8. Personally, I would not rent an apartment in a complex that accepted Section 8. I know. It makes me a snob.

Here's the link to HUD about it:

Housing Choice Vouchers Fact Sheet - HUD

Old 08-11-2007, 04:28 PM

3 posts, read 23,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragini View Post
Thanks a lot. i am a first timer in texas so i have no idea how to go about this and dont have any clue about roads but i will surely take your advice.

i also went to apartment rating and read the comments for Fairways. pretty good ratings except someone saying there were lots of rats and that the carpets are thin so there seems to be lots of noise. is that true?

i got the job in las colinas boulevard. tx 75038

Just as the person who responded to that person's post on apartment ratings said, I have no idea what that man/woman is talking about. I lived there for a little over a year and never once saw a rat or a roach anywhere, and the only time I had a problem with noise was when the guy below us blasted his music, but all we had to do was ask and he turned the music down. He/she also commented on little light but all of the covered parking spots have lights above them, every apartment door has a light outside of it along with lights in the outside walkways, and the mail/laundry area is also very well lit.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,423 times
I am a recipient if a section 8 voucher and I feel that we are often stereotyped. I am a 54 tear old mother of 5 adult year, and worked(often 2 jobs) from the age of 21-51, in which at that time I started having issues with my knees, so severe I had to stop working. At that time zi applied for a program that enabled me to receive help from DHA I thank God for it. I have ran into instances were nice places don't accept the vouchers. I don't think it's right to discriminate on the ratchet behavior of a few. That type of behavior is displayed in all races. Ghetto is a state of mind, not where one lives. One can be wealthy and have a ghetto mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: