Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 09:09 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,671,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney lee douglas View Post
In Farmers Branch there was a public pool called I think Valwood public pool and I used to ride my Schwinn Sting Ray Bicycle almost every day from Royal Lane and 35 (Field City) and swim.
My Sister owned The Farmers Branch Florist and I worked there making deliveries when and even before I got my license to drive.
BLD
That was the Don Showman pool. Took swim lessons there.

Hubby worked at the Kroger on Valwood and Josey when they were still in the old location and wore the brown, rust & orange pullover poly shirts. LOL!!!

Does anyone remember the townhomes on Webbs Chapel just south of Belt Line w/ the 2 big fountains out front? I went to Maclaughlin and it was not uncommon to arrive at school and see a completely covered soap suds front lawn at the school and bubbles blowing across from those fountains. It was quite the common prank for people to put soap in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 10:10 AM

339 posts, read 1,430,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Does anyone remember the townhomes on Webbs Chapel just south of Belt Line w/ the 2 big fountains out front? I went to Maclaughlin and it was not uncommon to arrive at school and see a completely covered soap suds front lawn at the school and bubbles blowing across from those fountains. It was quite the common prank for people to put soap in there.
North of Pebble Creek and just S of Beltline? Yes! Remember them well!! Enjoyed riding my bike around that area since I grew up right on Fyke @ Nix. Who doesn't love a good soap in the fountain prank?? I had not thought about the bubbles crossing Webb Chapel in YEARS! Thanks for the memory, Momof2.

I had my first dive at Showman and waiting in the long line at the high diving board with the 'big kids' always terrified and thrilled me. Good times, good times.

Funny about those ugly shirts at Kroger, that's going way back!! LOL. I was talking to my mom recently about how many competing grocery stores we had back in the day in Carr/FB. The Kroger, Safeway at Beltline and Josey, Tom Thumb at Fyke and Josey, Skaggs Alpha Beta at Valley View and the super new and exciting Sack N Save--bagging your own was so so exotic-- right when it opened. Now the three nearest markets to my house are all these huge, identical Tom Thumbs. I kinda miss all those beat up ole grocery stores. (Except Food Lion. Ewww.)

Old 01-15-2010, 11:11 PM

4 posts, read 14,823 times
hey Lackwooder I was one of the people that painted Forest Lane back in the 70"s and I didn't do it for the Bicentennial.. I went to W.T.White High School and so did everyone that help paint it. I had a yellow and black GTO back then with the best 8 track player on the Lane. Rock N Roll. My little brother live's down the road from there and said it's still there in 2010.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:53 AM

104 posts, read 420,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Dreamer View Post
hey Lackwooder I was one of the people that painted Forest Lane back in the 70"s and I didn't do it for the Bicentennial.. I went to W.T.White High School and so did everyone that help paint it. I had a yellow and black GTO back then with the best 8 track player on the Lane. Rock N Roll. My little brother live's down the road from there and said it's still there in 2010.

What year did you graduate? I'm a '74 grad. We had our Prom at The Cowboy Club at Texas Stadium.
BLD

Old 01-21-2010, 03:30 PM

273 posts, read 697,331 times
Does anyone remember Jim’s restaurants?

Back in the mid – late 70’s there was a Jim’s restaurant rights next to the Old Addison School. The same company owns the old Addison school which was turned into the Magic Time machine.

There was also a Jim’s restaurant located on Campbell Road in Richardson just west of central.

They are now all gone from the Dallas area but are still operating in San Antonio

Old 01-21-2010, 03:44 PM

273 posts, read 697,331 times
I remember as a young teen eating at Baby Does Matchless Mine, and how cool the place was. The place is long gone but the memories of Buffalo on the menu and the cool atmosphere and dinner with dad will remain forever.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:16 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,569,003 times
Used to go to happy hour at Baby Doe's, and sometimes stay for dinner. My ex was a cocktail waitress there when she was young.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:16 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,412,732 times
Baby Does was a huge treat when we were kids! Loved it and I can't even tell you what I ate there. LOL.

Other big nights out- Magic Time Machine. The place is still there and it's just awful! We took our kid a few years back for her birthday, she loved it, of course. I'm convinced they keep it so dark in there so you can't see all the yucky stains all over the place!

The Egyptian (Campisi's). Still love that place.

Old San Francisco Steak House. We kids loved the swing, of course!

Old Spaghetti Warehouse. Took our daughter there a year ago. Terrible! But she liked it fine.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:39 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,671,273 times
I remember Jim's.

Baby Doe's...... went there for my birthday one year. Can't remember but I want to say 16th.

Magic Time Machine. YUCK!!! Way over priced garbage food that is worse than any microwave generic brand dinner left over from 10 years ago. NO LIE!!! I swear it was over $100 for the 4 of us to eat there and 2 of those were KIDS MEALS! The food was NASTY! I mean N-A-S-T-Y! Kids had fun seeing the characters but that is all it is good for. Nothing more and I still would have a hard time going there for that.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:44 PM

16,087 posts, read 40,998,312 times
FYI the streetcar in Spaghetti Warehouse downtown is the one which served Junius Heights Historic District in the Lakewood area up until 1956 -- or so I am told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas