Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 05:51 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,433,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I remember Jim's.

Baby Doe's...... went there for my birthday one year. Can't remember but I want to say 16th.

Magic Time Machine. YUCK!!! Way over priced garbage food that is worse than any microwave generic brand dinner left over from 10 years ago. NO LIE!!! I swear it was over $100 for the 4 of us to eat there and 2 of those were KIDS MEALS! The food was NASTY! I mean N-A-S-T-Y! Kids had fun seeing the characters but that is all it is good for. Nothing more and I still would have a hard time going there for that.
I know! It's terrible! LOL. Was it always that bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 10:40 AM

104 posts, read 420,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Baby Does was a huge treat when we were kids! Loved it and I can't even tell you what I ate there. LOL.

Other big nights out- Magic Time Machine. The place is still there and it's just awful! We took our kid a few years back for her birthday, she loved it, of course. I'm convinced they keep it so dark in there so you can't see all the yucky stains all over the place!

The Egyptian (Campisi's). Still love that place.

Old San Francisco Steak House. We kids loved the swing, of course!

Old Spaghetti Warehouse. Took our daughter there a year ago. Terrible! But she liked it fine.
Spaghetti Warehouse used to be so good back in the day.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:40 PM

3 posts, read 8,441 times
6 year old insisted on Magic Time Machine recently for b-day. Agreed, worst--and MOST EXPENSIVE--TV dinners ever! I just got the salad bar, which is minimal, but at least under $10 (amazingly!). It's served in the body of an old car of some sorts...

Which reminds me, wasn't there a place in Hillside Village called Bobby McGee's that had a bathtub salad bar?

I married up, into Lakewood, but grew up in the Grove ("Hungry Heights" as my dad always called it!). Corner of St. Augustine and Bruton road--used to swipe those street signs regularly! Then, as Fate would have it, married a gal related to the Brutons...!

Any other Grove Rats out there? Remember "Folwers EZ-Way" on the NE side of that intersection, between Diamond Shamrock and the car wash?

Old 01-25-2010, 03:50 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,038,951 times
I know a Grove Rat who 'married up' into HP. I knew him when he went to our WW rival Samuell but he doesn't seem to like it when I bring that up in 'the bubble'!

You can really tell a person is new to Dallas if he hasn't heard about Grove Rats and Lakewood Rats.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:26 PM

3 posts, read 8,441 times
Blue collar to blue blood, eh...?!

Ya know, as I remember it, the Grove was actually pretty decent back in the day. I recall growing up with neighborhood parades, backyard circuses, and camping out back many a-night. I used to be literally miles away from the house on my bike and it was no big deal. Even played and built forts in some heavily wooded areas.

I swung by to take a look at my childhood home several years ago and, well--let's just say that if I ever see it again, it will be on Google Earth! Glad I got out of there alive! I shutter to think of my kids miles away from home in the woods in the Grove these days...

Sad...

Old 01-27-2010, 07:09 AM

13 posts, read 52,393 times
Anyone remember 'The Cable' in the woods of Pleasant Grove. 'John the Hermitt'

Old 01-29-2010, 07:58 AM

33 posts, read 135,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Yes, I remember the bands that would play out at North Lake. That used to be a popular place to go out to a lake even though you could not get on it.

Yep, grew up in FB and Carrollton. Grew up going to Northtown Mall. We were just talking about it the other day.

That was Love. It was when Love Field closed and was not an airport. Went there a many a time as well.

I used to work at LLOVE, up in the disco area called the Rainbow Room. There are some photos from those days on my profile.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:33 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,396,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fontexter View Post
I used to work at LLOVE, up in the disco area called the Rainbow Room. There are some photos from those days on my profile.
OMG those LLove pictures are so funny. I don't remember the outfits though. I only went a couple of times when it was open, but we thought it was so cool. I wonder why it closed after only a couple of years.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:12 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,038,951 times
fontexter - I remember those cloud-like ceiling hanger thingies!

You should send those photos to Robert Wilonsky at the Dallas Observer - I bet he would post them on the Unfair Park Blog.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:36 AM

104 posts, read 420,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fontexter View Post
The photos were not there.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas