Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 12:20 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
Loved Olla Podrida.

Remember Granny's Dinner Theatre? Small venue but good acts....I saw Captain and Tenneile, Ray Charles, lots of plays, etc. Nowhere like that left around, is there.
I rememeber seeing Tina Turner there right after her breakup with Ike. Very racy show. I was about 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 02:47 PM

506 posts, read 2,149,512 times
Remember the Cabana Motor Hotel on Stemmons? It's still there but the city bought it years ago and it's now a jail. It was owned by Doris Day and, in it's day, was gorgeous. The 6 or 7 story building was lighted like Ceasar's Palace and had rows of fountains along the front. The Beatles stayed there when they came to Dallas for the first time in the early 1960's.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:15 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt2le View Post
Remember the Cabana Motor Hotel on Stemmons? It's still there but the city bought it years ago and it's now a jail. It was owned by Doris Day and, in it's day, was gorgeous. The 6 or 7 story building was lighted like Ceasar's Palace and had rows of fountains along the front. The Beatles stayed there when they came to Dallas for the first time in the early 1960's.
Yes, and it had another name too I thought and I can't remember right now. Dadgummit. My dad worked right around from there on Industrial. We would go down at all hours of the night, stop at the McDonalds on the corner too. The jail is now the Decker Jail. Some Katrina refugees were put up there and complained. When Reunion got full they housed them there. Said they had "no privacy". Honey, I'd take my own "space" with walls between me and the next family rather than stay at Reunion w/ 1000's and NO WALLS. They even had their own bathrooms. They did not like the "bars" on the cells. Whatever.

Grannys Theater. Remember my parents going often.

Penny Whistle Park - YES!!! Big spot for kids birthday parties.

Ferrells at Valley View Mall.

Lloves at Love Field. The sign was neon red and the "o" was in the shape of a heart. When DFW opened the flights at Love Field decreased significantly. That is why several years ago after the growth of SW people around there started complaining. Okay ----- been an airport there for how long????

The Lady in White at White Rock Lake................. scary. Did anyone ever see her?

Southern Kitchen and the yummiest yeast rolls. Melt in your mouth goodness.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:26 PM

709 posts, read 3,473,816 times
Wow... I forgot all about Southern Kitchen until you brought it up momof2dfw. That was one of my all times favorites growing up. Memories.

Also, Farrells was like one of our youth group hangouts in high school. We use to go every Sunday evening and tell them it was one of our birthdays (usually it wasn't anyones...LOL)just for the huge ice cream treat they provided and the hoopla they made around birthdays.

I have many memories of Lloves at Love Field. My dad was Braniff Int. pilot, and we use to go with him and shuttle airplaines from LoveField to DFW in the middle of the night so that the planes could get ready for the early morning flights leaving DFW. That was so cool...just he and my brother and I on a huge plane with no passengers in the cockpit. It was awesome! Memories.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:56 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshinelife View Post
Wow... I forgot all about Southern Kitchen until you brought it up momof2dfw. That was one of my all times favorites growing up. Memories.

Also, Farrells was like one of our youth group hangouts in high school. We use to go every Sunday evening and tell them it was one of our birthdays (usually it wasn't anyones...LOL)just for the huge ice cream treat they provided and the hoopla they made around birthdays.

I have many memories of Lloves at Love Field. My dad was Braniff Int. pilot, and we use to go with him and shuttle airplaines from LoveField to DFW in the middle of the night so that the planes could get ready for the early morning flights leaving DFW. That was so cool...just he and my brother and I on a huge plane with no passengers in the cockpit. It was awesome! Memories.
Speaking of ice cream sundae's........

Kip's Big Boy
Hot Fudge Ice Cream sundae served in the silver sundae dish w/ the extra cup of hot fudge on the side. sugar shakes thinking about it... Went to the one on Forest & Marsh often. Then of course the Big Boy getting stolen and parked on the practice football field behind the high school .

I had several friends whose parents worked for Braniff. And to think I almost went to work for them.

Easter Egg Hunts in the park at Bachman Lake by the pavillion.

Hart Bowl.

El Fenix in the shopping center across from Bachman Lake.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:09 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Yes, and it had another name too I thought and I can't remember right now. Dadgummit. My dad worked right around from there on Industrial. We would go down at all hours of the night, stop at the McDonalds on the corner too. The jail is now the Decker Jail. Some Katrina refugees were put up there and complained. When Reunion got full they housed them there. Said they had "no privacy". Honey, I'd take my own "space" with walls between me and the next family rather than stay at Reunion w/ 1000's and NO WALLS. They even had their own bathrooms. They did not like the "bars" on the cells. Whatever.

Grannys Theater. Remember my parents going often.

Penny Whistle Park - YES!!! Big spot for kids birthday parties.

Ferrells at Valley View Mall.

Lloves at Love Field. The sign was neon red and the "o" was in the shape of a heart. When DFW opened the flights at Love Field decreased significantly. That is why several years ago after the growth of SW people around there started complaining. Okay ----- been an airport there for how long????

The Lady in White at White Rock Lake................. scary. Did anyone ever see her?

Southern Kitchen and the yummiest yeast rolls. Melt in your mouth goodness.
Ah the legendary lady of White Rock Lake, good bit of Dallas folklore. I remember going to the lake one Halloween night with some friends, never seen her though.

I think it so silly that people buy houses near Love and then complain about the planes. I highly doubt theres anyone there who has been there since before Love opened. Ranks right up there with the folks who bought along lower Greenvilles nightclub district, and complained about noise and crowds. But thats enough of that

Even twenty years after they left the Dallas market you can still spot the distinctive old Safeway buildings.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:14 AM

454 posts, read 1,339,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Remember when Albertsons was Skaggs Albertson and then Skaggs Alpha Beta and then Albertsons?

Remember the Next Door restaurant where you had a phone on your table and you called your order into the kitchen?

Remember when Valley View Mall was just a Sears store?

Remember Olla Padrida?
Olla Padrida! I can't believe they tore that down.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:16 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,762,286 times
What is El Fenix? Also, there is a Penny Whistle Park group on Facebook.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
When was that? Love was very busy with commercial traffic until '74 when DFW opened but general aviation has always been busy and SW started flying in '71 so I don't ever remember a time when there were no planes.
I remember it; it was fabulous for a kid. It was huge, of course, and it just seemed like a wonderland of fun.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
I miss the old Prestonwood Mall. My mom and I used to go there a lot when I was in my early teens and I wanted "cool" clothes.

Seems like in the early 80's there was a McDonalds in NorthPark, and maybe a Sbarro Pizza.

Anyone else remember Pennywhistle Park? It was an indoor amusement park for kids.

I remember Olla Padrida.
I was just going to post Pennywhistle Park! Aaaaaaah, man! this thread is such a trip down memory lane!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas