Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 12:34 PM

33 posts, read 136,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duxgone View Post
How about Jamie's and their curly fries and beans on copper plates?????????? Anybody remember Easy Parlor on Greenville before Snuffer's took over that building?????
The Easy Parlor, hadn't thought about the place is years although I used to go there all the time. Thanks Duxgone. Remember Chelsea Street Pub at Knox & McKinney (where Chuy's is now) another fav of mine.

Last edited by fontexter; 02-08-2009 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 09:08 AM

10 posts, read 53,940 times
I remember the Easy Parlor. A band called Deadwood played there (or was it Redwood) and the singer dude's name was David Evans. I used to usher at the Granada before there was a Easy Parlor and the A & P grocery was a block away.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:49 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I'm wondering if the Easy Parlor had the same ghost as Snuffer's. Trying to remember the A&P around there - can only remember the one at Hillside Village.

BTW, didn't you mean Chealsea Corner on McKinney at Monticello? Andrews on McKinney at Hall was sort of similar but Chelsea lasted a few years longer. Chelsea Street Pub was at European Crossroads by Bachman Lake -- everytime I hear the "Aimee" song I think about everyone singing along there...

Old 02-09-2009, 12:10 PM

42 posts, read 175,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Anyone remember Keystone Park (Spring Valley and Central/75) where you got your drivers license?
YES! I got my license there on my 16th birthday and I remember having to turn to the side to get my picture taken. That shopping center looks nothing like its former self. Unfortunately, the neighborhood leaves a lot to be desired now.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:10 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJBMom View Post
YES! I got my license there on my 16th birthday and I remember having to turn to the side to get my picture taken. That shopping center looks nothing like its former self. Unfortunately, the neighborhood leaves a lot to be desired now.
Was there a Boy Scouts of America store in that strip mall? If so, yeah, I remember it!

Old 02-13-2009, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,808 times
Default Olla Podrida

I spent a few years at the Olla Podrida in the late 70's and again in the late 80's! It was all wooden
and cobblestones. Beautiful! With it's fiberglass(?) translucent roof that wood let the light in and cast
the place in a warm glow. When it rained you could hear the rain hitting the roof and it was a remarkable
sound to sit and listen to. I was sad to see it was torn down, as I grew up in that area. I used to hang
around after school and play with a few other kids whose parents worked there also. My friends Andrew and
Amy. Andrew's parents sold lots of dolls. I think it was called The Doll House or Attic??? I was 7 at the
time My mom worked there in a shop called The Final Touch. It was a shop that Framed pictures and sold
gifts. My second grade class had artwork display in the mall there. I drew a picture of my mom at work
and they displayed it right in front of her store where she could see it while she worked. Her boss had
it framed and I still have today. The Final Touch was located next to the Candyman. Oh! How I had the
Biggest Crush on the girl that worked behind the counter there! I can't even remember her name now! Amy's
parents are Roger and Vickie Francis who crafted candles and Ivory carvings upstairs. They were a very
lovely couple that were always smiling as I remember. I read that they relocated to the West End in 1996.
I have such fond memories of that place and I wish I had some photos. That's how I found this thread
today! I met Roddy McDowell (sp?) walking through the mall. The Popcorn store (Adobe House?) was above the Final Touch. The owner there used to call down to
me at the end of the day and throw a bag of flavored popcorn down to me. It was such a wonderous place to
be. I am glad I was a part of it all! I remember a puppet theatre (marrionettes) there as well, with a box
office. I still sing a line from one show that has been stuck in my head since then! There was a huge (by
7 year-old standards) bell out front that people could ring. In the late 80's I worked there awhile
making sandwiches and drinks at a shop next to The Upper Crust Restaurant which it was a part of. Sadly,
the name escapes me! I used to skateboard to work everyday. Frank, who owned a winemaking store above,
used to lower a bucket down on a rope complete with clothespin and money attached for his food order. I
can close my eyes and still see all the individual shops and faces and little coin operated hand crank
movie machines straight outta the early 1900's. I might use my memory of the place and make a walk
through 3-d model of the place.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I do remember the fish place that is there now, at the north east corner of medallion center, "The Fish Bone" and "Crackers" before that, did have a bow of a boat as part of the roof. That is where I believe spanish galleon moved after leaving the original location where HPB took over. THere was a big ship formerly at that location as well. Is this ringing any bells? The old spanish galleon became a night club of some sorts for a while.
I remember shopping at the Half Priced Books on NW Highway before they took over the old Sterling building where they are now. I always wondered why there was a bridge-like structure in the middle of the store that was shaped like a ship, so I guess this explains it! So when was this boat structure first created, when it was the Spanish Galleon or was it there before that?

Old 02-14-2009, 04:15 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
i don't rember what was there before SG. But I do remember when Vickory Feed Store was actually a feed store (NE quadrant of Park @ Greenville). I used to get my Rabbit's food and hay there for her little hutch, and seeing huge bags of Purina Horse Chow.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:14 PM

288 posts, read 1,191,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by velcro penguin View Post
stores - Gibsons, Spartans, Motts

bars - Mother Blues, Cafe Dallas, Prohibition room, Monopoly, Brio

restaurants - Guadalajaras (ross ave) Shed (all you could eat steak) Bishop Grill (Oak Cliff)
Gibsons ignored the blue laws; you could buy hardware there on Sundays.

Guadalajaras (ross ave)--reliable place to eat late in the evenings.

Cafe Dallas, Monopoly, Brio--grassfires. Packed for the first three or four weeks, then left to smolder when some next newest spot arrived. Confetti, Acapulco... .

Old 02-18-2009, 04:01 PM

13 posts, read 52,594 times
The 'Arcadia Theater' burnt down some time back. What was built in it's place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas