Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2007, 07:36 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times

Advertisements

Hey, gang, let's see if you remember some TV names from the past. For some of you, I'm going to go waaaaaaay back.

Channel 4 (when it had CBS)- Ray Walker, Judy Jordan, Eddie Barker, Warren Culbertson, Lee Martin, Judd Hambrick, Tony Garcia, Dick Johnson, Jay Ruffin, Frank Glieber, Dick Risenhoover, Roger Twibell, Wayne Shattuck, Jack Harrison, Barry Judge, Dennis Monson.

Channel 5 - Russ Bloxom, Ward Andrews, Harold Taft, Boyd Matson, Lee Elsesser, Frank Mills, Bobbie Wygant, Jane Jayroe, Dave Layman, Brad Wright, Roy Eaton, Ron Spain, Ron Godbey, Mary Ruth Carleton, Bill Kelley.

Channel 8 - Bob Gooding, Murphy Martin, Verne Lundquist, Dale Milford, Don Harris, Suzie Humphreys, Jack Van Roy, Rene Castilla, Ray Gaskin, John Criswell, Judi Hanna, Blaine Smith, Ed Hogan.

Channel 11 (when it was independent)- John Whitson, Durwood Rowell, Howard McNeil, Doug Carter, Robin Johnson, Icky Twerp, Jim Newton.

Any of them ring a bell??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 08:06 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
Harold Taft, and John Criswell I both remember. I think Criswell was on 4 for a while.

I remember Walter Evans on the noon news for channel 4 for many years.

and the 8 country reporter/Dairy Queen guy.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:17 PM
pfw

186 posts, read 848,915 times
I remember a restaurant by Love that had head phones at each table. You could put them on and hear the control tower or something. I also remember getting orange sherbet every time I went there for desert. Am I making this up???

I saw that someone mentioned Swenson's ice cream parlor. My family loved that place. We sometimes go to the one in Plano but it's just not the same anymore.

The news people I remember...Harold Taft, Brad Wright, John Criswell, Bill Kelley (didn't he also do the children's program that had Davey & Goliath?), Suzie Humphreys (she was KVIL with Ron Chapman, am I right?).

Old 09-13-2007, 08:38 PM

I don't know why I'm thinking about this, but does anyone remember Jim Dandy fried chicken? That was the first time I had spicy fried chicken.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfw View Post
I remember a restaurant by Love that had head phones at each table. You could put them on and hear the control tower or something. I also remember getting orange sherbet every time I went there for desert. Am I making this up???

I saw that someone mentioned Swenson's ice cream parlor. My family loved that place. We sometimes go to the one in Plano but it's just not the same anymore.

The news people I remember...Harold Taft, Brad Wright, John Criswell, Bill Kelley (didn't he also do the children's program that had Davey & Goliath?), Suzie Humphreys (she was KVIL with Ron Chapman, am I right?).
Right. Bill Kelley hosted "The Children's Hour", and Suzie Humphreys did weather and co-hosted "News 8 Etc." in the mornings a few years before she joined Ron Chapman at KVIL.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
Harold Taft, and John Criswell I both remember. I think Criswell was on 4 for a while.

I remember Walter Evans on the noon news for channel 4 for many years.

and the 8 country reporter/Dairy Queen guy.
You are right. The 4/8 Country Reporter guy was Bob Phillips.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:49 PM
pfw

186 posts, read 848,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I don't know why I'm thinking about this, but does anyone remember Jim Dandy fried chicken? That was the first time I had spicy fried chicken.
I do, my uncle was a manager at one of the stores.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:23 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Ahh, Harold Taft. If he said it was going to rain, it rained. I remember many more of those than I thought I would - geez, must have been watching too much news as a kid. OOHHHH, "It's Ten O'Clock. Do you know where your children are?"

Used to watch Davey & Goliath every Sunday morning before heading off to church.

We were just discussing Bob Phillips and the Country Reporter show the other day. Sponsered by DQ and James Wood Motors.

Cruising Forest Lane and actually being allowed to hangout in the parking lots along the road. When they first painted the mural on the wall along Forest.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:27 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
Is Mr. Peppermint in there somewhere?

Old 09-13-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
Is Mr. Peppermint in there somewhere?
That's good ol' Jerry Haynes. Before he was Mr. Peppermint, he was the very first sportscaster on Channel 8 in the 1950s. Hard to believe, but he was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas