Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 06:07 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember when Hockaday was in my neighborhood?>>

When did it move to it's current location, late 50s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 07:10 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
I was born in 1990, grew up in Dallas, and already a lot of my childhood memories are gone.

I remember farms out in Frisco, and going up to visit family friends with multiple acres of land...I remember them building Stonebriar and wondering who on earth would shop there.

Field trips to Samuel Farm were always a highlight, pretty much once a year in elementary school. My little brother was in DISD 7 years later and they no longer did this. That's pretty sad, it was such a special place.

I remember not noticing the fact that the public schools in Preston Hollow had been segregated racially within the school. Looking back it seems ridiculous that they got away with it for as long as they did, but they did it at Pershing when I went there.

I remember when Valley View wasn't run down, and when Northpark was...only the old folks went to Northpark when I was a little kid.

There are a lot more, and I'm sure 20 years from now there will be a LOT more, but this is just for starters...

Old 04-28-2009, 07:33 PM

17 posts, read 61,991 times
I Miss Slam Bang Theatre and Icky Twirp and the ABA team the Dallas Chapparalls(spelling?) who are now the hated San Antonio Spurs

Old 04-28-2009, 08:07 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA IN KC View Post
Now I have a question....there were a few posts about two girls that went missing from the Forest Lane area and were never found?? What year was this and exactly where? I can't remember anything like that - I left the area in 1975 the first time - close to 1980 for good.
They were from Carrollton and were seniors at Newman Smith High School. I believe they were right around the same age as my little sister (she is now 39) and went to school together. It would have been around 1988 or so. Their car was found in the parking lot of one of the shopping centers at Forest & Webbs Chapel. One or both of the girls worked at the Steak & Ale in Addison. I remember something about their locker there and their paycheck still being there or something??? They also said their purses were still IN their car. I think their names were Madison & Stacy. I'll have to google real quick for sure. Never heard or found anything at all for their families

Old 04-28-2009, 08:16 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Stacie Madison and Susan Smalley. There has ALWAYS been a lot about this case that just did not add up. Funny thing.......... I was actually thinking about these two girls the other night over the weekend when I saw the Natalie Holloway movie on tv. At least the Holloways have some kind of clue as to what happened to their daughter. These two families have ZIPPO! Nada, NOTHING!

Here is more from another website:
TX-Stacie Madison, 17, and Susan Smalley, 18, Carrollton - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Circumstances of Disappearance
Smalley and her friend, Stacie Madison, stayed at Smalley's home overnight on March 19, 1988. Both girls had disappeared by the following morning (March 20). Police know the girls were at Susan's house by midnight. At 12:01 a.m. that Sunday, they called one of Stacie's friends in Arlington, a guy she may have been dating. Police aren't sure why the two went out again.
The first item on their evening's itinerary had been to pick up Susan's mother at the Prestonwood Dillard's, where Audett worked as a clerk. Stacie followed in her '67 Mustang convertible, which bore the colors of their school, Newman Smith High School.
At some point during the evening, they drove to Arlington and found an apartment full of people hanging out. They left, with plans to eat at Chili's, and said they might return, according to the police file. That night, Susan and Stacie also went to the Steak and Ale on Belt Line Road. Stacie waited in her car while Susan went inside to talk to a co-worker. Susan and Stacie left in less than five minutes. A 7-Eleven clerk later told police the two had tried to buy beer from her Saturday night, apparently before they went to the restaurant. That was the last time anyone saw them.
Stacie's green-and-gold Mustang convertible was found that day in a strip-mall parking lot at Forest Lane and Webb Chapel Road in Dallas -- locked, with her portable stereo undisturbed on the back seat. There was no sign of either Smalley or Madison. Susan Smalley was only 18 but possessed the maturity and responsibility of an older woman. She worked two jobs while earning above-average grades.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:09 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
Wow Forest and Webb Chapel...down the street from my neighborhood. That's kinda scary.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:41 AM

38 posts, read 121,395 times
Thanks everyone for all the info...I thought it might have happen back 10 to 12 years earlier then that when I was still in Dallas. What caught my attention was that we knew a family that lived close to Forest and Webb Chapel and I had never heard anything about it... now I know why. It was much later.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:49 PM

190 posts, read 430,277 times
who here remembers the movie theaters of the 90s?

glen lakes 8, ua plaza, now loews cityplace is done!

as far as the plaza goes though, anybody remember qzar? best laser tag in the world haha

Old 04-29-2009, 04:41 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastdallasson View Post
who here remembers the movie theaters of the 90s?

glen lakes 8, ua plaza, now loews cityplace is done!

as far as the plaza goes though, anybody remember qzar? best laser tag in the world haha
I thought those were the new ones.

The OLD ones I remember:

Casa Linda
Plaza in Garland
Majestic
Palace
Esquire
Inwood
Gemini Drive-In
Apollo Drive-In
Town N Country Drive-In
Belt Line/30 Drive-In
Lone Star Drive-In (with the "right" girl)

Old 04-29-2009, 04:53 PM

190 posts, read 430,277 times
i said the 90s theaters that closed down. casa linda closed in my youth too. as far as many of the others they are sadly before my time i fear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas