U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 04:37 PM

219 posts, read 313,257 times

Advertisements

can anybody tell me if you have any med tech schools? i am already a CNA and i want to become a med tech so i want to know if there are any schools? Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 06:20 PM

34,012 posts, read 54,008,664 times
check community colleges where you live
TIC northeaast in Hurst has several well-rated, popular medical fields-like x-ray tech is that is what you are talking about
they are very competitive and get more applicants every semester than they can accept

Old 07-25-2011, 07:53 PM

11,080 posts, read 24,077,470 times
DO NOT GOT TO MEDICAL ASSISTANT SCHOOL!!! THERE ARE *NO* JOBS FOR THESE GRADUATES!!! I'm in HR at a hospital, and I see these Medical Assistants looking for work all the time. We DO NOT hire them, and the only place they can work is in a doctor's office. The schools that teach MAs are currently being watched by the US Dept of Education for their predatory "financial aid" processes because too many of their graduates are unable to find work in the field and end up defaulting on their federal student loans.

If you are a CNA and you want to advance your career, go get your RN. (Don't even do LVN; it costs MORE than the RN programs and is only 3 months shorter, but there are less jobs for LVNs!) Or if you want a REALLY good program, go to TCC and do their Physical Therapy Assistant program!!

Old 07-25-2011, 10:08 PM

207 posts, read 476,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
DO NOT GOT TO MEDICAL ASSISTANT SCHOOL!!! THERE ARE *NO* JOBS FOR THESE GRADUATES!!! I'm in HR at a hospital, and I see these Medical Assistants looking for work all the time. We DO NOT hire them, and the only place they can work is in a doctor's office. The schools that teach MAs are currently being watched by the US Dept of Education for their predatory "financial aid" processes because too many of their graduates are unable to find work in the field and end up defaulting on their federal student loans.

If you are a CNA and you want to advance your career, go get your RN. (Don't even do LVN; it costs MORE than the RN programs and is only 3 months shorter, but there are less jobs for LVNs!) Or if you want a REALLY good program, go to TCC and do their Physical Therapy Assistant program!!

Old 07-26-2011, 01:56 PM

690 posts, read 1,629,921 times
I agree with the other entries, don't waste your money on something that will not give you a return
on investment. There are many vocational/technical schools which might as well be diploma mills.
Look into the community college and University system.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:43 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,133,585 times
Wow. We actually have quite a few MA's in my office and good ones are in short supply. That's coming from a surgeon. But you are limited. Getting a RN or even becomes a surgical tech could open up many more doors to you. If my MA could also scrub in and help out in clinic I'm sure her understanding of surgery, the procedures and outcomes would make her an even more valued asset than she is now.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 PM

11,080 posts, read 24,077,470 times
There was a story in today's Fort Worth Star-Telegram stating that the Texas WOrkforce Commission has ordered ATI Career Schools to close within 60 days because over 60% of their graduates were not placed in the careers they went to school for and ended up defaulting on their federal student loans. Unfortunately, I cannot find a link to this story anywhere online. It was in the Metro section on page 3. Here's a link to the story in Dallas Business Journal: http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/bl...i-schools.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>