Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 06:35 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,091,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinsMom View Post
Here is what I am looking for:
- Low Cost of living
Depends on what metric you're looking at:
-No state income tax
-Property taxes are about 2.5% per year. That $150k home is going to come with a $3200-ish annual tax bill and a $1000-1200ish annual insurance premium.
-Depending on where you work & live, there are a TON of tollroads here. It's about $7-8/day to get from Frisco (a popular inexpensive suburb) to downtown Dallas and the tollroad is pretty much your only option for that 25-30 mile drive.
-Gas is about $3.70/ gallon right now.
-Sales tax is 8.25% and nearly everything is taxed, outside of some food items. (Some states do tax breaks for clothing under $100 or other "gimmes", but we don't. THink there's one weekend per year right before school starts but the "no tax" item list is pretty stringent).
-Typically people can afford a bigger home here than wherever they moved from, which means more square footage to heat & cool. We run our AC here from May-early October. Right now the bills are going to be awful as we are in a major heat wave (25 days of over 100 & counting!)
-Car insurance can be high here due to the large amount of uninsured motorists.
-Food & other household goods are probably the same or a bit less than in the northeast. Comprable if you're not coming from the city, less if you're coming from Boston.

Quote:
- Reasonable housing costs
I think you are going to be disappointed at what you get for $120k in the Dallas area. You really need $180-200k to start looking at the solidly middle class neighborhoods that feed into great schools.

Quote:
- Great schools for my son (he will be 8)
Some of the better school districts that are relatively near your budget are: Plano ISD (Best of this bunch), then Richardson ISD, Grapevine-Colleyville ISD, Lewisville ISD, then Mansfield ISD, Frisco ISD, McKinney ISD. I have just named suburbs north, northwest, and southwest- so it will depend on your job location as to which you should explore.

Quote:
- Decent job market (I'm in HR)
It's ok. Staying put at around 8% unemployment (more for those w/o college degree and about 4% for those with one), but so many people are moving here that the jobs being created aren't enough to hire those people AND the people already here & unemployed. I have noticed more recruiters calling my office in the past 6 months so some things must be picking up (although most are calling for jobs in the northeast, interestingly enough!)

Quote:
- Minimal Snow
You're good there. We get about 1-2 snowfalls a year, a couple inches each time. No shoveling here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 07:10 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,597,783 times
If you rent month-to-month once you have settled in -- or do a 6 month lease -- you might just be able to pounce on a buy. Example: this is in Coppell School district. Small, but this community has held value beautifully. If you are watchful, patient and ready it can happen that you get a place in good schools at the right price; will be a bit of a fixer-upper. Just an example:
9006 Cumberland Dr Irving TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11580709 - Realtor.com®
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas