Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 09:13 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,971 times

Advertisements

Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 10:19 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,745,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
There's no way in hell we believe someone passed up a chance at Yale for SMU
Not that I agree with SMUboy, but I passed up two Ivies to go to UT, Austin. My major was not crowded at the upper level, it was a much better deal financially, the professors were more approachable, the campuses cleaner, and it was much closer to home. The snobbishness of the eastern elite was another reason.

As for private schools, the number of national merit finalists as a percentage of the student body at St Marks year over year is quite impressive. The only other school that comes close is Hunter College High for Girls in NYC.

What is troubling is that if the sisters of St Marks boys go to Hockaday, and intelligence is closely linked to genetics and family, then why do we not see the same national merit distribution at Hockaday?

As for MIT not accepting more than X from a school - that is not true. Lynbrook HS in San Jose and Thomas Jefferson in VA regularly send 10-20 kids to MIT every year.

Here is Thomas Jefferson' list.

http://www.tjhsst.edu/curriculum/dss...ofile_2011.pdf

24 to Princeton and 23 to MIT.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:12 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Not that I agree with SMUboy, but I passed up two Ivies to go to UT, Austin. My major was not crowded at the upper level, it was a much better deal financially, the professors were more approachable, the campuses cleaner, and it was much closer to home. The snobbishness of the eastern elite was another reason.

As for private schools, the number of national merit finalists as a percentage of the student body at St Marks year over year is quite impressive. The only other school that comes close is Hunter College High for Girls in NYC.

What is troubling is that if the sisters of St Marks boys go to Hockaday, and intelligence is closely linked to genetics and family, then why do we not see the same national merit distribution at Hockaday?

As for MIT not accepting more than X from a school - that is not true. Lynbrook HS in San Jose and Thomas Jefferson in VA regularly send 10-20 kids to MIT every year.

Here is Thomas Jefferson' list
http://www.tjhsst.edu/curriculum/dss...ofile_2011.pdf

24 to Princeton and 23 to MIT.
Lots of top kids pick UT (particularly PlanII, Bus Honors, or Engineering) over East Coast schools. SMU isn't quite in that echelon....

Look at the list I posted from ESD, Greenhill, St Marks- usually 1 or more of the top 10 grads are going to UT. They aren't going to SMU.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:37 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,109 times
Plano Senior's Val or Sal last year picked UTD (!) over MIT. I suspect the 100+% free ride for National Merit Finalists was a big factor, but I believe he was also already hooked up with a research professor at UTD.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:13 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Not lending our unsympathetic SMU poster any creedence, but I turned down a scholarship at Columbia for SMU. I graduated from a public high school, and I was in the top twenty of 275.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Not lending our unsympathetic SMU poster any creedence, but I turned down a scholarship at Columbia for SMU. I graduated from a public high school, and I was in the top twenty of 275.
One flaw in your story- Ivies don't give any undergrad scholarships (academics or athletics), just need-based financial aid.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:09 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
One flaw in your story- Ivies don't give any undergrad scholarships (academics or athletics), just need-based financial aid.
That's not precisely accurate. Lots of schools, like Notre Dame, that don't offer merit based scholarships do have, I'm not sure what the proper term is, "private placement" scholarships maybe? Donors effectively pay for a kids to go in lieu of school sponsored academic scholarships.

I know this for a fact because my son was offered one to ND.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:04 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Quote:
It's not a story - did you think I made it up? This how Parkies get a bad reputation!. It was a long time ago but the amount was $6,000 per semester. Maybe it was financial aid... I am thinking SMU tuition was about $7500 at the time...

As my father (b. 1921) was the first in his family to go to college since the civil war (they were Texas pioneers after they lost everything), I was not really that familiar with the process, so I didn't really consider it that much. It sort of came out of the blue, I think from my ACT performance.

Twelve people in my class went to SMU so I was eager to go there..back in those days you just had to submit a transcript and write an essay!

Last edited by Lakewooder; 08-17-2011 at 05:12 PM..

Old 08-17-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That's not precisely accurate. Lots of schools, like Notre Dame, that don't offer merit based scholarships do have, I'm not sure what the proper term is, "private placement" scholarships maybe? Donors effectively pay for a kids to go in lieu of school sponsored academic scholarships.

I know this for a fact because my son was offered one to ND.
Notre Dame is not in the Ivy Leage. Straight from UPenn's website and clear as day (in bolded highlighted type), Like the other Ivy League schools, Penn does not award scholarships based on academic or athletic merit.
All aid is based solely on financial need

Here is from Columbia's website:

Does Columbia offer merit scholarships?
No. There are no academic, athletic or talent-based institutional scholarships. University grants are offered on the basis of demonstrated financial need. However, our students are often the recipients of merit-based scholarships from outside organizations (state grants/scholarships, local/national merit-based awards, etc.)

Does Columbia offer scholarships and if so, how many?
Columbia College and the undergraduate division of The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science provide need-based financial aid to students on the basis of their family's financial circumstances. There is no limit on the number of students who receive need-based financial aid. Each application is considered individually

Even the "private" scholarships you mentioned at ND are ENTIRELY need based at Ivy schools:
University Named ScholarshipsThese scholarships are provided through direct gifts to the University and privately endowed funds established by alumni and friends. Named scholarships enable Penn to continue its two-fold commitment to admit students solely on the basis of academic merit, and to meet 100% of a student's financial need. All scholarships are need-based, so students must complete the financial aid process. Student Financial Services selects recipients based on the scholarship's criteria; no separate application is necessary.

Whereas Notre Dame's website says that all students admitted are considered worthy of scholarships based on ACADEMIC and other credentials. It also does offer a merit-based scholarship program for EA appliacants.

[SIZE=3]Does the University of Notre Dame offer academic merit-scholarships that are not based upon financial need? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]The majority of financial aid at Notre Dame is administered and awarded based upon financial need as demonstrated through the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). All students admitted through the University's very selective admissions process are considered worthy of scholarship consideration on the basis of their outstanding academic and personal credentials. A thorough and consistent review of each applicant is conducted by the Financial Aid Office [/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3]each year [/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]in order to determine a student's financial aid eligibility, including scholarship eligibility. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The Hesburgh-Yusko Scholars Program is a merit-based scholarship and enrichment program at the University of Notre Dame. The program is highly competitive. Students who wish to be considered for this program must apply through the Early Action admission program [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Old 08-17-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
It's not a story - did you think I made it up? This how Parkies get a bad reputation!. It was a long time ago but the amount was $6,000 per semester. Maybe it was financial aid... I am thinking SMU tuition was about $7500 at the time...

As my father (b. 1921) was the first in his family to go to college since the civil war (they were Texas pioneers after they lost everything), I was not really that familiar with the process, so I didn't really consider it that much. It sort of came out of the blue, I think from my ACT performance.

Twelve people in my class went to SMU so I was eager to go there..back in those days you just had to submit a transcript and write an essay!

I don't know how old you are Lakewooder, but the Ivies have not been awarding merit schoarships since at least 1945!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas