Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 04:27 PM

937 posts, read 2,908,026 times

Advertisements

Anyone heard any reviews about this service for TV and internet access? Pros/Cons?

Old 10-30-2007, 09:01 PM

197 posts, read 1,138,745 times
Go here: AT&T U-verse forum - dslreports.com broadband community

Then avoid it like the plague.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:50 PM

1 posts, read 10,862 times
I work on the Uverse equipment for at&t in network operations and will try to give you a little more information than "avoid it like the plague". I also provide official support when I can on the at&t direct forums on the BBR link KBilly provided. BBR can be a tad hostile towards large telco/cable companies and you usually see the postings from people who are having issues. Remember, happy consumers tend not to complain.

Some better links to check out that have discussions from people thar are actually using the service are:

uverseusers.com and utalk.att.com

I will also try to list out a few of this things I consider pros/cons.

Pros
1.Instant channel change

2. IPTV is cutting edge technology with huge potential for added growth/features, great for the technophile.

3. Bundled billing

4. voip/data/wireless/tv home integration

5. Considerable number of HD channels

6. Large video on demand selections

7. Price

8. No multiple receiver or HD charge

Cons.
1. Its new, so there are bugs still being shaken out.

2. No whole house DVR yet.

3. Only 1 HD stream is allowed at time.

4. Internet speeds are lower than most of the competition.

5. Long install times.

6. Unless you have fiber to the home, it is distance limited.

Now, most of the cons are actually being worked on now and will be eliminated in the future.

Note - I am not providing any information in an official AT&T capacity. These are just my personal opinions.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:42 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,764,496 times
We have Charter and are upset with them for not offering the Center Ice Hockey package. My husband has called almost everyday and has been told something different each time. We have looked at UVerse since they offer it, but decided against it and will probably switch over to dish tv since they offer the center ice package and have better HD channels.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:31 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,656,344 times
We have had the at&t service for about a week . We are fine with what we have compared to the Time Warner. I was never able to get a good connection with the Time Warner internet wireless we had and with the current, yes. Like crashbot said, the connection is a tad slower but am so grateful I can connect. I was addicted to On Demand when we had Time Warner and prior Comcast, I find that I don't get as many choices there but I am not disappointed at all with that because there are still several free programs on demand. The big difference is price and we are paying WAY BELOW than what we were paying with Time Warner. 79 dollars versus the 139 monthly.

I hope that helps.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:21 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,442,886 times
I've had U-verse since may. I love it! I've had one little service interruption that last a day and a half. The DVR is great, and clarity is wonderful. The customer service that I have received has been excellent from the time it was installed to the one hiccup.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:40 AM

1,067 posts, read 5,656,344 times
Ditto about the service. The man that came in to install was excellent and very courteous towards my family. My husband use to work for Time Warner in Florida in corporate finace, then it became Brighthouse. From his opinion, they are overall better in quality and service than Time Warner here.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:49 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,931,364 times
We've had it for about three months and are very happy. The quality is good and not too pricey. The one drawback is the so called "speed" that they claim to have with instant channel selection. It's not instant, it's not even close. When I press any menu or want to switch channels, it sometimes takes up to one or two seconds for anything to pop up. The fiber optic cable doesn't run all the way to our house as they had promised, we're about 1 block away so that may have something to do with it. But, overall, the service is very good and if I ever call in the reps are very courteous and quick to resolve any problem. It's not down very often either. If at all, maybe once a month I'll lose service but this is to be expected while they are still working the bugs out.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:16 AM

36 posts, read 164,361 times
I've had U-verse for about 6 months. I haven't been that happy with it. I am in an apartment complex, though, so maybe it's better in a house. However, the fiber optic cable is very close by. The installer was very nice and courteous. The picture is great. Internet is ok. I have wireless, and it loses its connection a lot - at least once every 45 minutes to an hour. My router isn't far away either. Not sure what the deal is with that. The instant channel selection isn't instant. I think the prices are kind of high. I only watch 5 channels, but the cheapest package I can have with DVR included is the U-200. So, I never watch the other 195 channels, but I still pay close to $90/month with taxes and all. My DVR has failed to record a couple shows when it was supposed to. Customer service is ok. AT&T U-verse sends lots of junk mail and fancy 4-color direct mail pieces ($$$!) once you're a customer.

I had Time Warner at my former apartment complex and never once had a problem. U-verse might be better once all the bugs are worked out.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:58 AM

3 posts, read 16,467 times
I have Had uvese for about a month love the service had lots of problems and severals trouble calls when first installed. I am also a cable contractor so i ran fiber to my apt building where i live and manage since i did i haev had no problems love the service and 95% of my building has switched to uvese

UVERSE KICKS ASS....
TIME WARNER CABLE SUCKS BALLS BIG TIME AND ARE VERY COSTLY FOR ****Y SERVICE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas