Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,754 times

Advertisements

can i use my indian driving license to learn driving in US (Texas) or do I have to apply for a learners permit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 06:13 PM

213 posts, read 863,324 times
You will need to obtain a Learners Permit by clearing the written test.

If you have an Indian driving license / International Drivers Permit, you can rent a car and drive it but to get a Texas DL, you will need to get the Learners permit first.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:30 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,309,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abpat2203 View Post
You will need to obtain a Learners Permit by clearing the written test.

If you have an Indian driving license / International Drivers Permit, you can rent a car and drive it but to get a Texas DL, you will need to get the Learners permit first.
That's technically not entirely true, if the person in question is confident in their driving abilities he can do the theoretical test and if he pass (which is quite easy, again, if you're a good driver), schedule the practical test right away.

The practical test, by any measure is a joke, and is simple to pass for anyone with any sort of driving experience, even minor.

When I did all of this in July of this year, I took the theory test, and immediately booked a practical test, no learners permit were issued, before this I drove with my Norwegian (and international) license for 6-7 months with no trouble.

For any person seeking to get a TX DL, who has a license from another country; my driving test at least consisted of parallel parking in a gap big enough for a large truck, drive on surface streets in a residential neighborhood with a 30 Mph speed limit and no light signals and back up 50 or so feet without messing up, it wasn't as much a driving test as it was a minimum car management skill test, and absolutely nothing to worry about.

EDIT: The TX DOT guide is useful to read up on actual traffic laws though, both before the theoretical test, but also for putting it in practice, outside of that, driving a car is driving a car no matter where you are.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:37 AM

527 posts, read 2,166,498 times
Oh this thread lives still.

Btw i have already got my Driving License here and passed the test first time.

@Arundhati
I too came here with an Indian Driving License (not IDP) and took a class of 4 hours before hiring a car over one weekend to go to places to buy a car. Then i bought the car, too the computer test and later after 15 days took the road test.
The learner's permit that you get after passing the computer test has the restriction that a 21 years+ DL holder has to be besides you when you are driving. This was not possible in my case as i drive alone. So what you do is keep your Indian License also and in worst case if you get pulled over (for any reason), DO NOT show the permit but show the Indian License since if you show the permit then you are breaking law by not having a 21+ years DL holder besides you.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:01 AM

213 posts, read 863,324 times
@The Vikings: True. You can have the theoretical test and the actual driving test scheduled for the same day. But most of the times, their offices are so clogged with applicants that is next to impossible to get that done. In fact in Irving, I had to go in one day and stand in line just to get an appointment for the driving test a week later!

@rak007: What you suggest might work though you will still be essentially twisting the law to your advantage. On top of that, the person should have an IDP as the officer can ignore your Indian license as it is for the left-hand driving. It is really upto the officer whether he wishes to ticket you or not. I also think there is a 3-month (or is it 1-month) time period after which you have to get a TX DL if you wish to continue driving here, even if you possess another states DL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas