U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,778 times

Advertisements

Hello all-
My family is relocating to the DFW area. We are looking to rent an apartment, up to $1300/mo

The challenge is that I will be working near Legacy Town Center in Plano, and my wife will be working in Mansfield.

We have one child in elementary school, and two in day care. So one of us will have to be picking up the kids from day care/after school care by 6:30 pm.

This makes choosing an area to live a bit challenging. Do we live in Mansfield (or Arlington/Grand Prarie), and then I will make the S to N commute?

Do we live in Plano, and she makes the N to S commute?

Or should we live somewhere in the middle?

So location is key, but we also have to be in a safe and well kept area.

All of your suggestions and ideas are welcome!! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 04:53 PM

13,036 posts, read 26,143,539 times
Serious advice....one of you needs to find a different job. Those two suburbs are about 50 miles apart- close to 90 minutes in rush hour!! My coworker commutes from Mansfield to Legaxy & Tollroad and it takes about 75-90 minutes to do the "reverse" south to north commute. She starts her drive at 6am and leaves the office around 7pm. It's a LONG day!!

If you must take these jobs, I'd probably live in Mansfield. There's not much in the middle that makes sense for schools & budget- and Mansfield meets your budget criteia more easily than Plano will. The Plano to Mansfield commute would be even longer than the reverse.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:02 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,037,943 times
Live in Plano, find a cheap apartment/extended stay hotel in Mansfield for your wife to live during the week. You can see her on the weekends.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:09 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,277,453 times
I think TC80 is right that one of you should begin seeking new employment; however, I recognize that in the current economy, and depending on your fields, that may take a while.
As far as where to live, decide which one of you is going to keep the current job, versus which one will begin looking for a new job. Live near the job of whichever one will not be seeking new employment. It will mean one of you has a horrific commute for a while, but it really is the only long term solution.

Last edited by Macbeth2003; 08-03-2011 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: left the 0 off in tc80

Old 08-03-2011, 06:36 PM

6,578 posts, read 24,416,482 times
Yeah, I would say the lower salaried parent not work and then live close to the working parent's job. Two kids in daycare plus a third child in aftercare will cost a lot and they could all be in child care open to close because of these distances. 50 miles in metroplex traffic is - I mean right though the middle of it - really really bad. It's not worth it.

The schools are better in the Plano area, but Mansfield area is cheaper. Daycare and housing will be cheaper. If you shoot for in the middle, say Euless, then neither parent is near the kids and attending school functions will be tough in addition to needing daycare open to close.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:57 PM

6,952 posts, read 21,725,608 times
I think you should try and rent something in Valley Ranch. use 161 for the Mansfield commute and the Geo. Bush 190 for the Plano commute. look in zip code 75063. It will be a bit of a challenge but it is doable and sure beats unemployment.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:09 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,277,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
and sure beats unemployment.
Oh yes. I think in my post I was clear, but in case I wasn't, I am not suggesting anyone quit their job. I just agree with other posters that the bets long term solution is for one of the household to begin looking for a job closer to the other member of the household. I would not suggest simply cutting the household income drastically.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:21 AM

35,465 posts, read 55,051,219 times
George Bush into Legacy from the 183 Airport Frwy area is not a bad commute--takes about 15-20 with light traffic and I don't think there is really that much traffic on the Bush compared to other freeway systems like the 183 or the North Loop around Dallas or I35 for sure--
the Bush is also going south of 183--not sure how far--
so Las Colinas might be the best option for now

staggered work times would also be helpful to reduce traffic but I think you might find it difficult to get daycare that will take your children before 730 am--and schools don't like you to drop kids off too early either--don't know how that would affect your drive time--and you might even consider having parents take them close to the work areas so that you are closer to them if there is problem and they need to be picked up early--like illness develops--

Old 08-04-2011, 08:27 AM

301 posts, read 540,034 times
A lot of daycares open and will take kids as early as 6:30am. The school-aged kiddo could be more of an issue. We take the one of ours not eligible for the bus in the morning but then an after school program picks him up. Either way you go, there will have to be some concessions made. And if you take the tollways, you will need to budget accordingly. They aren't cheap unfortunately.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:42 AM

35,465 posts, read 55,051,219 times
some daycares MIGHT take your school age child and do a dropoff at school as well as the after school care--
so you could have all three at same location
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas