Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 12:18 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

Looking for local feedback on this....

I currently have u-verse and am not happy with it. I'm tempted to switch to TWC but this house isn't "cable ready" in the traditional sense.

What goes along with a cable hookup these days? Any TWC users here? Are you happy with the service? And what do you pay per month? I have the U-300 package with 12 mbps DSL, only one DVR and no other receivers, and the "best" AT&T can do is $130 a month. Ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 01:13 PM

663 posts, read 1,724,680 times
I'm paying $30 per month for a 10mbps cable modem connection from TWC. I've been really happy with it so far. My kids can stream Netflix on the XBox upstairs while we stream from Hulu or Netflix downstairs and we can all still surf the web. That's a lot better than we were getting from our previous DSL service. I'm not sure how it stacks up to U-Verse specifically. I also have no idea what they charge for TV packages. We ditched cable/satellite television a long time ago.

As far as what's involved with the hookup, we had cable set up already so the cable guy just had to get to the box in the backyard and wire something up and we were good to go. You're best bet is to call them and ask.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:54 PM

345 posts, read 994,409 times
Have you considered satellite since your house is not cable ready? I'm not impressed with u-verse either, and will re-evaluate it when i get a chance. I've had u-verse, TWC, and satellite, and preferred satellite because it was the most reliable and best features for the price.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:57 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW transplant View Post
Have you considered satellite since your house is not cable ready? I'm not impressed with u-verse either, and will re-evaluate it when i get a chance. I've had u-verse, TWC, and satellite, and preferred satellite because it was the most reliable and best features for the price.
Well, I say it's not cable ready. When I was doing some wiring in the den I found a coax but shoved it into the wall and covered it with a blank plate. There are no other coax connections in the house so they'd have to put those in, which I'm sure they'd charge me for unless they have some kind of whole house wireless network for everything. I do have ethernet drops but I don't know if cable can use those for a home network. I don't know anything about networking.

I've heard bad things about satellite, i.e. it goes out when it gets windy or rainy.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:40 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Well, I say it's not cable ready. When I was doing some wiring in the den I found a coax but shoved it into the wall and covered it with a blank plate. There are no other coax connections in the house so they'd have to put those in, which I'm sure they'd charge me for unless they have some kind of whole house wireless network for everything. I do have ethernet drops but I don't know if cable can use those for a home network. I don't know anything about networking.

I've heard bad things about satellite, i.e. it goes out when it gets windy or rainy.
Quote:
I found a coax but shoved it into the wall and covered it with a blank plate
If you have a coax inside then there could be a place where it ends outside. Do some research. However, if it's fairly old it may not suit your purpose. That is... my experience with TWC in Oak Lawn is that it 'may be' a pair of coax lines. They would probably use the same entry point and terminate at some mutual 'most convenient' place in the home. At that point you'd have your cable modem and broadband modem - both tied to that 'pair' of coax. From the cable modem then to the TV by coax. From the broadband modem to your router or other device by ethernet - Cat5. Then to your choice of device (computer, xBox, Roku, cell, other) by Cat5 or wireless.

The TWC service I had in Oak Lawn was excellent. As for satellite - yes, they do experience what is called 'rain fade'. That is, when an intense storm cell passes between the satellite and your dish, you will lose your signal... sometimes for only seconds to a few minutes. Sometimes only some mixed up pixels. Take this as an alert that there is something going on to which you might need to pay attention, rather than the TV. I did have DirecTV from '01 to '06 with VERY little interruption. And a most awesome service.

To compare tho'... TWC can NO LONGER point to rain fade as a point of cable superiority. During the freeze of early 2011 and rolling blackouts, TWC suspended its service during the day. Early that day - during my second blackout - I called TXU to inquire, receiving the news of the rolling blackouts. However, in the process of pushing buttons I did indeed choose the residential button. Within two minutes my power was back on and remained on for the rest of the day - a benefit of the SmartMeter and targeted service. TWC remained off until after 3 p.m. If I had satellite, I'd have had TV. So TWC can be subject to rolling blackout fade, a selling point for satellite.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:41 PM

551 posts, read 1,098,880 times
I switched from TWC to DirecTV and then to Uverse when it first came out. At the time it was a great deal. I paid $114 for the U450 and 2nd level internet. The cost has steadily gone up. I really like the whole house DVR and I have had good service. I looked into TWC about a year ago and it wasn't going to be worth it to switch. I'll will never go back to DirecTV.

As far as not being cable ready I don't think that is a problem. TWC should wire your house as needed as part of the install.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:48 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,225,208 times
I used TWC for years because I had to. Nothing but problems and horrible customer service. I tried uvese when it first came out years ago and loved it. had to wait until this past year when we moved to a place that had it available. We had a fresh install in a brand new house and had nothing but problems. They expect the customer to do all kinds of weird troubleshooting and they blame the customer (or their house) for the issues. You'll have to really fight to get a tech sent to the house for repairs. After 3 months, I finally got a good tech who spent 6 hours essentially re-installing everything. Problems have been minimal since then and I am happy.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:39 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
I agree with Mr Bungle--we had TWC in Bedford for over 20 years and it was bad--
I would never go back to TWC
we have Uverse since we moved into this house and while it has not been perfect it has certainly been better than our old cable--
we are having problems with bandwidth for Internet use and downloading from Netflix at same time--
that should not be happening according to what we are paying for--
but we don't normally have that conflict--
I think they are working on the Uverse cables in the area
I have had decent to very good customer support when I have called about problems

sorry your situation is not similar

Old 08-05-2011, 03:48 PM

345 posts, read 994,409 times
I'd heard satellites had weather problems, but didn't have a choice because our new subdivision did not have cable lines. Had to get satellite. In spite of strong winds, heavy rains, lightning, snow, and intense sun, I rarely had issues with reception with my Dish satellite. I tried u-verse because it was suppose to be the next great thing, and the new customer offer was amazing. Don't think u-verse is the next great thing. Maybe in a few years when they get the kinks worked out, but not now.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:55 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
that is what people have said about Uverse since it started...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: