Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 07:44 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,463,908 times

Advertisements

there should be a minimum speed limit and if you cant go that fast stay on the sidewalk where the bicycles belong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 08:01 PM

256 posts, read 448,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
there should be a minimum speed limit and if you cant go that fast stay on the sidewalk where the bicycles belong.
What minimum speed limit? 30mph and if you can't do that, stay on the sidewalk? So you want a guy whizzing down the sidewalk at 29mph? Hope he doesn't smash into the mom pushing the stroller.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:59 PM

372 posts, read 710,461 times
They will be coming up my road tomorrow like clockwork around the 10 o clock hour I don't have an issue, I just want them to be safe. When I see them riding, it makes me glad to see someone is doing something for their health... sorta jealous in a way, I have health issues that would not permit me to ride.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:16 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
Quote:
Some roads do, and bicyclists are naturally not allowed on those roads, it would be foolish to ban bicycles off regular surface roads (30-45 mph speed limit) without having an alternative place to ride, riding on a sidewalk is not an alternative and if you read the TX DOT documents you'll realize that it's damn close to illegal to do so.

I'm all for bike lanes, it's safer for the motorists, much safer for the biker and generally easier to deal with problem is of course that it's not free to build that out and some places it might be impossible, the only option then is to focus on being safe, patient and following state law when either driving or riding.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:40 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,544,169 times
Quote:

hahaha. Too Funny. That your listing is from Plano.

That seems to be the Nexus of the push-push-push, run-everyone-else over, all-about-me-me-me, mindset that drives the area around here.

Was chatting more about this all with the Mrs. this afternoon.

She says that it is in and around Plano, itself, where folks -- seems to be guys -- will get pull over, get out of their cars -- and scream at bicycles.

Dunno, but do you not think that at least a little . . . odd? Maybe a little?

Is it something in the water, or what?

Old 08-06-2011, 10:05 PM

256 posts, read 448,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

That seems to be the Nexus of the push-push-push, run-everyone-else over, all-about-me-me-me, mindset that drives the area around here.

She says that it is in and around Plano, itself, where folks -- seems to be guys -- will get pull over, get out of their cars -- and scream at bicycles.

In a car culture, people just aren't used to sharing the road with anything but cars. They think of the roads as belonging to cars, and anything else is an irritation at best and a complete encroachment at worst.

In reality, cars share the road with bikes, buses, little smartcars, pedestrians, trolleys, etc. It is just a different mindset, the idea that the car is but one of the modes of transportation that can go on a public road and there isn't a divine right of kings that makes it more important than another.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:25 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,161,747 times
Most drivers anywhere can't drive safely
Most bikers anywhere fail to bike defensively and/or follow traffic laws esp at stop signs/lts
When bike vs car occurs, biker usually loses when crippled for life
Most drivers lack sufficient assets or insurance for meaningful money extraction for biker's dependents even if litigated
Smart bikers make own risk/reward bets
Generally, innocent taxpayers end up footing bill for healthcare/disability costs of the crippled biker
No amount of money buys back one's health after a 4000+lb car hits a biker....litigation or mere laws are dwarfed by basic laws of physics, ineptitude/stupidity of both driver and biker, and irreversible fragility of biker's spine/brain...

Old 08-07-2011, 01:16 AM

446 posts, read 649,349 times
Quote:
You are aware that sidewalks have things like pedestrians and street lights poking out of them right? I suppose you're okay with me crashing into a mom and her ten year old son on my Trek 3700 during their morning walk?

Bottom line is, cars ain't everything, and they ain't the only game in town. Lots of people are choosing to get infinity miles a gallon on some of their outings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

Well, of course. Plano is the epitome of a modern sprawlburb where riding a bicycle is seen as just plain "odd", and people seem to always have ants in their pants. Too many places to go, too little time... 20 mph over the limit. Cyclists, with our pace, annoy the guys who want to do 60 down Coit Road just to get a hamburger. Heck, one of the main reasons I was glad to return to Fort Worth from Richardson was because it's a tad bit more laid back over here, while still a large city.

Another possibility would be the faux masculinity from a lot of guys, since you made the observation it is mainly the men. Backwards "macho guys" probably think bicycles are "un-manly"...

Old 08-07-2011, 02:08 AM

373 posts, read 635,277 times
Smile I don't get that much crap when riding the bike

Cardiac is actually one of the most useful training methods for fighting.

Some of it may simply be bullies.

I don't where a bike suit and often ride an older scruffy british bike like
Dr Savage rides. And will have come up with some really not nice things to say.

I Don't ride in Plano though. It was the Jackass Capital of the World many years ago and in many ways still it.

It might make some people envious as it can be an expensive hobby and people who do are often are in really good shape. I have a pal in his 50's who was stopped by rader for speeding. Looks like he is decades younger.

I like this 100 degree plus weather.

I don't carry but would suggest that some people would be wise to get a permit and pack a hidden pistol while being sure to comply with the law.

It would be kind of hilarious to have slob in poor condition pull over what he thinks is small women and find himself looking at the business end of a pistol. Then see his face when asked if he would like to speak with the cops about this and can explain why he got out of the vehile to threaten someone?

Old 08-07-2011, 06:59 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
the fact is that most of this hostility is manifested not for bikes in commuting traffic (because there are few of those) but where they are riding long distances for recreation, training, and lots of times in groups

they ride when there is high likelihood there will be many other cars/trucks on the roads and they ride on country roads where there are no shoulders --
because it is more scenic, there is variety in the terrain, and I guess because they think it is safer than on a busy street

I am just glad that I really don't have to deal with that activity where I live--I have experienced it rarely in the parts of Tarrant county where I live/travel but we were in Austin area (Lakewood) several weeks ago and saw cyclists riding around there--doing things that violated traffic laws and frankly put themselves at risk for injury--like running red lights so they did not have to slow down

I just see cyclists that want it both ways--they want all their rights (and more at times) yet don't want to be accountable for following laws--laws that are there to protect those using the road...
and of course you can say the same thing for drivers of autos--
but as someone pointed out--in a contest between a cyclist and driver of anything motorized, the cyclist is coming off the loser--
no matter who was right or wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas