Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 09:05 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
why do you ask that about HP rezoning itself--
ARE those schools overcrowded--
I thought there were enough seniors living there that there was always a buffer
Enrollment ebbs & flows over the decades- ie, my mother's graduating class in the early 70's was about 100 students larger than my late 90's class (300). The classes are back up to early 70's sizes again. There has been a huge influx of families moving into HPISD since 2008 as the "opening price" homes fell from $1-1.1M to $700-800k, making the district in reach to those who were previously "priced out."

The schools aren't overcrowded right now. The last bond election raised funds to add a significant number of classrooms to all 7 campuses. The portable classrooms have all been removed - if the schools were actually overcrowded, the portables would be back.

I'm honestly not sure what Ganongrey is talking about regarding "overcrowding".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 09:11 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,947 times
I heard some women talking about it...at Starbucks, they also talked about the Girl Scouts and scarves. No hard facts. Just sparked my interest. My kid's not school age just yet. On the surface it seemed plausible if not actually accurate, but I didn't research it.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
I heard some women talking about it...at Starbucks, they also talked about the Girl Scouts and scarves. No hard facts. Just sparked my interest. My kid's not school age just yet. On the surface it seemed plausible if not actually accurate, but I didn't research it.
Well, about 20-25% of kids who live in HPISD do attend private schools, so in theory if there were to be a mass exodus from privates (due to family finances, I assume?), then yes, the HP schools would probably be overcrowded. Considering how hard private school admissions were this year, it doesn't seem like that many families pulled out.

I haven't heard/read anything and the district should have a good idea of enrollment since school starts in 2 weeks.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:33 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,925,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
Someone asked my wife if she shopped at Fiesta market.
Well, does she?

IMO, their produce is the best value-for-money short of the Farmers' Market. There are a surprising number of non-Hispanics in the aisles there. Not sure if they're advertising in Park Cities People, though.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Well, does she?

IMO, their produce is the best value-for-money short of the Farmers' Market. There are a surprising number of non-Hispanics in the aisles there. Not sure if they're advertising in Park Cities People, though.
Fiesta also has the best cheapest avocados in town! No more $3 avocados from Central Market....

Old 08-07-2011, 09:44 PM

574 posts, read 1,478,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Well, does she?

I am not ashamed to shop at Fiesta! Their produce prices are unbelievable. I also make a weekly trek to the Kroger on Mockingbird, and of course, Central Market.

You wanna see cheap and beautiful produce? Check out Super H Mart in Carrollton. I try to make it there at least monthly. Best produce and seafood.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:49 PM

574 posts, read 1,478,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Oil View Post
I've been here two weeks so far, and I love it. Haven't seen ganon around though...
Which part did you end up in? We are north of Lovers between Hillcrest and Central. Love being close to Greenville...and everything near there.

Glad you are enjoying it.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:41 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Fiesta also has the best cheapest avocados in town! No more $3 avocados from Central Market....
Also fantastic for seafood. Good selection, they will fillet a whole fish for you if you ask, and everything is labelled, "Wild," or," farmed," and with the country of origin. Makes it easy to choose clean sustainable seafood for very little money. El Rancho is even better, maybe my favorite grocery store,but none around here.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:33 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,947 times
The Fiesta comment wasn't quite that innocent. It's a good place for some harder to find and more authentic items.

We did north of Lovers, west of Preston. Makes the commute a bit easier. Preston center is our main drag but HP Village (not that it's that usable on a daily basis) is our second place to go to.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:47 AM

307 posts, read 476,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2emily View Post
Which part did you end up in? We are north of Lovers between Hillcrest and Central. Love being close to Greenville...and everything near there.

Glad you are enjoying it.
I bought an SFA near the middle school. We are just getting settled in and getting ready for school to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas