Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 01:01 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,231 times

Advertisements

The schools are busting at the seams right now. But over the next five years, enrollment is supposed to decline precipitously, according to HP administrators. There are fewer young families moving in than ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 02:16 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
The schools are busting at the seams right now. But over the next five years, enrollment is supposed to decline precipitously, according to HP administrators. There are fewer young families moving in than ever.
Just curious, where did you hear/read that? The district's 2010 demographics study showed growth projections that are a good bit higher than the 2000-2010 decade (ranged from .5%-1.9% annual growth rate).

MostLikely Growth Scenario The MostLikely Growth projections series shows a projected increase of 691 students over the next five years, with an additional 712 students projected in the last five years of the projection period. Therefore, by Fall 2014, Highland Park I.S.D. could have a projected enrollment of 7,139 students and by Fall 2019 a total of 7,851 students. Annual growth rates could range from 1.4% to 2.3%.

This scenario assumes:
- The reduced sales prices for existing homes (due to the recession) will cease, but the increase in condoized units (due to SMU requiring all sophomores to live on campus beginning in 2014, opening up 350 condo/apartment sized rentals & sales units) will have a counterbalancing effect on Highland Park I.S.D. home sales
-Student population continues to grow at this past year’s level in the early grades, due to households with children purchasing existing homes to a greater extent than previously
-Unemployment rates remain at 8% in the Dallas area over the next year, but slowly return to 4.5% or 5% over the next 2 to 4 years
-There will be a slight increase in the percent of immigrants entering the Dallas region relative to 20082009 rates), spawning some demand for H.P.I.S.D. housing near the urban core
-Interest rates do not increase by more than 2% over current levels for the next five years; and

-Iranian, Afghan, Iraqi, and other global concerns do not accelerate

Old 08-08-2011, 02:17 PM

307 posts, read 476,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
File it under "I heard it from a neighbor" because I did, but supposedly UP is going to be enforcing the 2 unrelated persons rule in the duplex districts around SMU so that 4-6 students can't rent the 3-4 bedroom duplexes. Supposedly (according to the neighbor, again - I don't have any info) many more families are buying the SFA's and duplexes this summer than students. She commented that she saw mostly families moving in.

For what its worth...

Old 08-09-2011, 06:31 AM

574 posts, read 1,478,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Oil View Post
I bought an SFA near the middle school. We are just getting settled in and getting ready for school to start.
If I remember correctly, your children are still very young, right? I was hoping you had a 7th or 8th grader to introduce to my daughter. She has had a " woe is me" kind of summer. Can't wait for school to start so she can make friends.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:49 AM

307 posts, read 476,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2emily View Post
If I remember correctly, your children are still very young, right? I was hoping you had a 7th or 8th grader to introduce to my daughter. She has had a " woe is me" kind of summer. Can't wait for school to start so she can make friends.
That's right, mine are kindergarten and second grade. Although I'm sure they'd like to play with an older kid, I'm not sure your kid would feel the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas