Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,580 times

Advertisements

My company will be relocating me to Dallas (if I want to keep my current position). I would be working in downtown Dallas and would like to live in a fun, urban setting. Also, the idea of only living a couple of miles from work is real appealing.

I am a single dude in his 30's. Naturally, there is always going to be more 20 something's parading around most bars. It's like that in the current city I live in, but there are several bars we frequent that have a little older crowd. I am hoping Uptown would be something like that. Aside from nightlife I also like to run and it appears there is a nice trail (Katy trail) going through the area

So basically, where would you recommend living to someone in my situation that wants to have some fun and be close to work downtown.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 10:35 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,133,983 times
Yes, would absolutely recommend Uptown to you! There are still a lot of 30 (and 40-something) singles, especially guys, in the Uptown bar scene. Check out Nodding Donkey for watching sports, TABC / Ginger Man/ The Loon/ Idle Rich for casual beers, and take a date to the bar at the Ritz Carlton (nice date) or Vino 100 (comfy glass of wine). You'll also find lots of other in-town neighborhoods to hang out in that are within a 5-10 minute drive/cab from Uptown: Knox-Henderson, Lower Greenville, Bishop Arts District, Deep Ellum, etc. Uptown is a great "jumping off" point to start your Dallas life!

Old 08-08-2011, 12:25 AM
k_s

405 posts, read 893,355 times
I agree with TurtleCreek80. Uptown seems like a good fit.

Addison (about a 15-20 min drive north of Uptown) is another good area to visit for nightlife. There are a lot more 30-somethings in Addison (imo), so it has a bit of a different vibe than Uptown.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:51 AM

1,430 posts, read 1,455,417 times
Addison or Uptown.....
Personally I like Addison better, especially if you are trying to get away from the 20something crowd.
Obviously living in Uptown or even downtown would cut your commute by a lot.
How often are you going to go out?

Old 08-09-2011, 04:52 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,204,215 times
Sounds like you did your homework, another Uptown supporter here. Addison would be nice too but you wouldn't have the Katy trail for running. Check out the White Rock lake neighborhood too for jogging, cycling.

I assume you will be renting, so that's good so in case you find the Uptown crowd not to your liking, you can move to Addison too.

Naima

Old 08-09-2011, 02:30 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,028,028 times
Uptown and Knox-Henderson - the Katy Trail is being extended to White Rock Lake, where you will have a choice of several other trails which lead from and to there...

Old 08-11-2011, 12:24 PM

30 posts, read 59,468 times
Agree with Uptown. Addison is way overrated, in my eyes.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:45 PM

419 posts, read 994,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye8388 View Post
My company will be relocating me to Dallas (if I want to keep my current position). I would be working in downtown Dallas and would like to live in a fun, urban setting. Also, the idea of only living a couple of miles from work is real appealing.

I am a single dude in his 30's. Naturally, there is always going to be more 20 something's parading around most bars. It's like that in the current city I live in, but there are several bars we frequent that have a little older crowd. I am hoping Uptown would be something like that. Aside from nightlife I also like to run and it appears there is a nice trail (Katy trail) going through the area

So basically, where would you recommend living to someone in my situation that wants to have some fun and be close to work downtown.

Thanks
Uptown sounds perfect for you. It's all of those things.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:44 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,376,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye8388 View Post

Thanks
Uptown will be great. Good time to buy if you see yourself there for a few years. It's walkable, most of the residents are well educated, upwardly mobile, if not a bit fashion and party obsessed. A fair amount of doctors, med students, lawyers and younger professionals.

Uptown however is a SCENE. It can be very busy on the weekend. But (and I really mean the West Village area- Knox-Henderson doesn't count). You need to be able to walk down Mckinney.

You'll be near downtown and 75. Closer to concerts and Victory Park.

Uptown is a great place for a very specific time in your life- single with no kids or newly married with very young kids.

Addison...you can smoke in the bars. The quality is considerably watered down. Hell, the Starbucks Uptown has better people watching (and girl watching) than most bars in Addison including Black Friar, which has a cover apparently.

The Loon. Lemon Bar. Sfuzzi (played out but fun). ZaZa. Ritz Rattlesnake. The bar at Ocean Prime.

And never, ever, go downtown after 6pm.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:31 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,151,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
And never, ever, go downtown after 6pm.
Really? Never? Ever? There are some great restaurants downtown where the OP can drop a few dollars or impress a date, arguably some of the best restaurants in the city, like Charlie Palmer's, Dallas Chop House, Stephen Pyles, The Commissary, Screen Door, or Tei An.

Not to mention everything that goes on in the Arts District, like late nights at the DMA, which are always fun, or seeing shows by the likes of Bon Iver, Los Lobos, and Explosions in the Sky (all upcoming) at the performing arts center.

But that's the great thing about living in Uptown is that you're 5-10 minutes from things going on downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas