Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 09:17 AM

10 posts, read 63,456 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in the Tampa, Florida area. BUT....there's only 3% asians that reside here. Unfortunately...Tampa lacks culture overall. But I only moved here ...for a job. Now...I'm back to square one with trying to find a NEW gig. I know Irving, Texas cost of living isn't too high. Which I like. I might consider a job over there. But where should a single 30' something asian woman live to meet other singles? I've noticed that Dallas is obviously a huge city. But it bothers me that Dallas also has around 2-3% asians!! I love a mix group of people ..from all walks of life and like being surrounded my mix cultures. But not alot of asians in Dallas? Do texans even date Asians in Dallas? LOL. Will I be single forever? Ha..ha. I've noticed that people say "Plano, Richardson, Arlington, and Irving"....has a decent size group of asians. But are they nice cities to live in? Since the job will be in Irving. I don't want the drive to be too far. I still like the night life and downtown city scenes. I don't want to live in an area with mainly married folks. I also don't want to live in a place with a TOWN feel. Where would you suggest I live? Should I live in Dallas...or somewhere else? If not Dallas...what's the next best thing? Don't want to be too far away..from the single scene. Looking to settle down eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 09:30 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,437,430 times
you're 30 feet tall? :O

j/k :P good luck

Old 08-16-2011, 09:33 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Depends on your priorities. If being around large number of Asians is what you crave, Murphy is 25% Asian, Plano is 18% Asian, Coppell is 17% Asian, Richardson is 15% Asian, Allen, Carrollton, and Irving are 14% Asian. All of the above are also really nice places to live (sans South Irving) so that shouldnt be an issue. However, all those are also burbs with mostly married people. Plano and Irving have a decent nightlife and are ok for singles in areas, but nothing like what you would get in Dallas. Dallas doesnt have many Asians living there, but there is a Koreatown in the city which is nice. However, Plano and Irving both have more Asians than the city of Dallas by sheer number. There are about 12-15 cities in the metroplex that have a larger Asian concentration than the city of Dallas.

If your are more interested in being around singles, look into Dallas or lacking that, Las Collinas in Irving or the Legacy area of Plano. Uptown, the M-Streets, Addison, and Knox-Henderson are great for singles and you would find (no doubt) lots of men/womenwho would love to date you. I can tell you right now that good looking Asians go real fast in Dallas. Hell, Im married to an Asian. When we werent married we lived in Dallas and you see lots or Asians out and about. Those are the same Asians that live in those burbs with lots of Asians.

To this day when we go out, my Asian (Thai) wife gets hit on every time I leave her side. In fairness, I married a knock out! She's 6' feet tall and skinny as hell.

I think the Dallas area may be a good fit for you. There are a lot more Asians here than anywhere in Florida. If you want to visualize where the Asias are here, look at the map below. Type in Dallas, Tx and then click on the "Asian Population" tab under the "view more maps" tab. As you will see, the Dallas area is not short on Asians in the slightest. Asian culture is alive and well here. It isnt California or New York, but they are definately here.

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Good luck to you! Ask any questions you want of me. Since my wife is Asian, we may have some insight.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:50 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
My Filipina d-i-l lives in Little Elm has has a circle of about 10 Filipina friends, met in the year she has lived there. Of course, they are all married. I can't see that it would be that much different in areas that collect singles. She just talked to others she saw in the park, the grocery, etc. One led to another.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:47 AM

702 posts, read 2,723,392 times
Asians tend to go out to dance clubs downtown...sometimes uptown. I would say 25% of Plush patrons are Asian. You can live in the suburbs and just go out in Dallas for the nightlife

Old 08-16-2011, 06:53 PM

142 posts, read 394,784 times
carrollton, richardson and garland have good size population of Asians (Not sure what your ethnicity is but I know those areas have more southeast asians) . Las colinas has a sizeable amount of indians.

I totally hear you on the single front and not wanting to be stuck in the suburbs lol
And I'm also from Tampa Florida (yay another floridian in texas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen3165 View Post
I'm currently living in the Tampa, Florida area. BUT....there's only 3% asians that reside here. Unfortunately...Tampa lacks culture overall. But I only moved here ...for a job. Now...I'm back to square one with trying to find a NEW gig. I know Irving, Texas cost of living isn't too high. Which I like. I might consider a job over there. But where should a single 30' something asian woman live to meet other singles? I've noticed that Dallas is obviously a huge city. But it bothers me that Dallas also has around 2-3% asians!! I love a mix group of people ..from all walks of life and like being surrounded my mix cultures. But not alot of asians in Dallas? Do texans even date Asians in Dallas? LOL. Will I be single forever? Ha..ha. I've noticed that people say "Plano, Richardson, Arlington, and Irving"....has a decent size group of asians. But are they nice cities to live in? Since the job will be in Irving. I don't want the drive to be too far. I still like the night life and downtown city scenes. I don't want to live in an area with mainly married folks. I also don't want to live in a place with a TOWN feel. Where would you suggest I live? Should I live in Dallas...or somewhere else? If not Dallas...what's the next best thing? Don't want to be too far away..from the single scene. Looking to settle down eventually.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:08 AM

132 posts, read 266,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan#1 View Post
Asians tend to go out to dance clubs downtown...sometimes uptown. I would say 25% of Plush patrons are Asian. You can live in the suburbs and just go out in Dallas for the nightlife
Awesome.... going to have to check this out.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:23 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
I am not single but it appears that many singles live in the Valley Ranch (zip 75063) and Las Colinas (75039) areas. It is mixed demographically, but the majority of "Asians" are from India. That said, there seems to be alot of singles and its not that suburban. However the nightlife is not exciting and if you lived there for convenience of the job, you'd probably be going to Uptown Dallas on the weekends. If you live in Uptown, you will have a 40 minute commute to work.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:35 PM

25 posts, read 43,276 times
A lot of singles like the Turtle Creek/Uptown area. You can get great buys on condos right now (watch out for any assessments that have not yet been set though) and not have to worry about the security, exterior maintenance and so on. There is also the Katy Trail if you are an outdoors person and lots of people exercise there...is easy to meet people. I just think that it is a fun place to live.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:50 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
There's always eHarmony too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas