Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 01:04 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times

Advertisements

There's no reason to commute from McKinney/Allen to Lewisville. The areas you mention are just as good and closer. I agree that a .5 acre lot is just not possible in suburban DFW.

Take Coppell off your list. Unless you luck into a foreclosure/short sale, or smaller/older home, your budget is too low for Coppell. Skip The Colony: old, cheap houses that are not well-maintained, and crappy schools. Flower Mound would be a GREAT place to look since Lewisville is just east of it.

Remember that "Asian" on the census also includes people from India, which is not your daughter's ethnicity at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 01:14 PM

695 posts, read 1,447,703 times
Flower Mound is good, as is North Carrollton--as I mentioned earlier. We live across the road from the North Carrollton area--literally Lewisville on one side of the road and Carrollton on the other--and are about 10 minutes from Vista Ridge Mall.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:53 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,480 times
If you are trying to "sell" your wife on a move, you might want to include a trip to NorthPark mall. It isn't too far from Carrollton/Flowermound, but a "premier" mall in this area and great for high-end shopping. There are several nice restaurants in the mall and nearby so you could tie it into dinner.

Good luck.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:59 PM

105 posts, read 290,049 times
If she wants to see a lot of Asian people, take her to Costco on Dallas Parkway in Plano

Old 08-11-2011, 02:06 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
There's no reason to commute from McKinney/Allen to Lewisville. The areas you mention are just as good and closer. I agree that a .5 acre lot is just not possible in suburban DFW.

Take Coppell off your list. Unless you luck into a foreclosure/short sale, or smaller/older home, your budget is too low for Coppell. Skip The Colony: old, cheap houses that are not well-maintained, and crappy schools. Flower Mound would be a GREAT place to look since Lewisville is just east of it.

Remember that "Asian" on the census also includes people from India, which is not your daughter's ethnicity at all.
While I agree partially that commuting from McKinney/Allen will get old after a while, there is a few subdivisions in McKinney w/ .5+ acre lots. But then again Lewisville is just 20-25 minutes down the road from McKinney/Allen, so it's really not that far in general.

But there's also Frisco, Plano, and Carrollton. All have needles in the haystack, but then again what place doesn't.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:09 PM

695 posts, read 1,447,703 times
There is a place called Super H Mart in Carrollton near George Bush tollway, and there's another Asian market on Josey Lane in Carrollton. I've lived in the area for 10 years and I can attest to the fact that there are tons of Asians in the area.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:17 PM

105 posts, read 290,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse View Post
There is a place called Super H Mart in Carrollton near George Bush tollway, and there's another Asian market on Josey Lane in Carrollton. I've lived in the area for 10 years and I can attest to the fact that there are tons of Asians in the area.
My wife just went there yesterday for the first time, and said it was the nicest Korean supermarket she has EVER been in. And we've gone to all of them from the Bay to LA multiple times.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:44 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,558,230 times
For parks, maybe check out Arbor Hills Nature Preserve in Plano.

City of Plano - Home (http://plano.gov/Departments/parksandrecreation/Parks/Pages/arbor_hills.aspx - broken link)

There's also a great park in Coppell with a h huge wooden play structure your daughter would love.

http://www.ci.coppell.tx.us/index.ph...728&Itemid=996

For shopping, Watters Creek is a nice center...very walkable with great restaurants and a more "green" vibe. But if you are going to live a lot further west than that I would go check out Shops at Legacy, Willow Bend Mall, Stonebriar Mall, downtown Grapevine, Grapevine Mills.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:35 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,681,036 times
In that price range and working in Lewisville, The eastern part of Flower Mound 75028 zip code,would be a good area to check out.Prosper is near Frisco and offers larger lots and strict zoning but with higher home prices,about $240,000 plus.Zip codes 75025 and 75024 in North Plano have a great Asian presence.The houses are crammed together on small lots, that would be the negative. The location would be good.Check out....

- Gaylord Texan in Grapevine.Great place to go during the Christmas season
- Southlake Town square
- Northpark Mall
- Uptown in Dallas
- Dallas Arboretum
- Galleria Dallas
- Stockyards in Fort Worth are cool to see

Some thoughts on Frisco......The suburbs around Dfw have alot to offer.When we moved to the northern suburbs from Dallas we did so to avoid paying for private schooling in the future, lower property taxes,more energy efficient homes to choose from and less crime.If we could have gotten 3 of the 4 in our old are of Lakewood we would not have moved.The northern suburbs are overall not diverse,but there are diverse pockets within Plano,Allen, Frisco and Mc kinney.As far as crime goes, I have heard stories and witnessed behaviors from the stay at home moms of Frisco that have frightened me alot more than passing by a sketchy character in Dallas.Frisco is an area I would avoid at all costs.Those who choose the suburbs to have a 4000 square foot house on a tiny lot and 3 leased luxury cars on $70,000 a year help give the suburbs a bad name.Frisco is the epitomy of this from what I have seen.It was quite strange going to a few football games ( supporting a friends child ) at the high school level on Friday nights and finding the stands practically empty.There are many renters and people here on temporary business that flock to Frisco. It is a bit hard to explain unless you see it for yourself

Places like Southlake,Coppell,Colleyville Flower Mound and Prosper seem a bit less generic and are overall more expensive to live in.Higher median home prices,lager lots,higher taxes.Many people likenmyself moved to the northern burbs from Dallas because it made more sense financially.

Last edited by CREW747; 08-11-2011 at 03:54 PM..

Old 08-11-2011, 03:59 PM

325 posts, read 757,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
Some thoughts on Frisco......The suburbs around Dfw have alot to offer.When we moved to the northern suburbs from Dallas we did so to avoid paying for private schooling in the future, lower property taxes,more energy efficient homes to choose from and less crime.If we could have gotten 3 of the 4 in our old are of Lakewood we would not have moved.The northern suburbs are overall not diverse,but there are diverse pockets within Plano,Allen, Frisco and Mc kinney.As far as crime goes, I have heard stories and witnessed behaviors from the stay at home moms of Frisco that have frightened me alot more than passing by a sketchy character in Dallas.Frisco is an area I would avoid at all costs.Those who choose the suburbs to have a 4000 square foot house on a tiny lot and 3 leased luxury cars on $70,000 a year help give the suburbs a bad name.Frisco is the epitomy of this from what I have seen.It was quite strange going to a few football games ( supporting a friends child ) at the high school level on Friday nights and finding the stands practically empty.There are many renters and people here on temporary business that flock to Frisco. It is a bit hard to explain unless you see it for yourself
So will this be your new cut and paste answer when someone inquires about the North Dallas Suburbs? If you can't pump Prosper, bash it's neighbors? At least it's a change from the Prosper Welcome Wagon pamphlet....

I've been living in Frisco for a couple of months now, and the people in my development are quite normal, and diverse (in the development, and even on my street).

That being said, for the OP, take a good look at any neighborhoods you're thinking about, regardless of what 'burb they might be in. Many of the suburbs are large, and not homogeneous throughout (unless you're in a tiny, northern suburb that hopes to grow larger someday, but is still small and not very diverse). Drive through the neighborhoods on a weekend and see who's out (preferably when the heat wave breaks a bit), check out some of the potential schools your daughter might go to, and eyeball what the diversity looks like at first glance. If you can find something in Flower Mound that's acceptable price wise, that would probably be a good first choice, with the Castle Hills area a good second, but several of the other suburbs you mentioned, and that others have mentioned are equally good options. Just don't get too far off the major highways if you're looking farther out, as that will make the commute much tougher. The census map is a good reference point too, but as other posters have mentioned, it doesn't differentiate between east Asian and sub continent Asians, and you'll find large pockets of both around town.

Last edited by mikeh19468; 08-11-2011 at 04:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas