Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 10:22 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,268 times

Advertisements

Big trucks seem to be the worst about this. Texas needs to start enforcing the "slower traffic keep right" rule on the freeways. Of course the stupid ass left exits don't help with this at all. I feel kind of guilty when I'm one of the slower drivers but have to move to the left lane to hit an exit.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:53 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Big trucks seem to be the worst about this. Texas needs to start enforcing the "slower traffic keep right" rule on the freeways. Of course the stupid ass left exits don't help with this at all. I feel kind of guilty when I'm one of the slower drivers but have to move to the left lane to hit an exit.
That's funny. I've only seen left exits in Houston. Dallas doesn't have left exits. Unless you are speaking of the southbound ramp to I-35e from westbound I-635.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:23 AM

30 posts, read 54,591 times
I moved from NYC. Although no city and no roads are perfect, Dallas certainly has less morons per capita than NYC. I'll take 1-2 idiots on the road in Dallas any day than the 20-30 in NYC per hour. Ask my gf, she noticed my road rage disappeared

Old 08-15-2011, 07:30 AM

325 posts, read 757,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizkoteck View Post
I moved from NYC. Although no city and no roads are perfect, Dallas certainly has less morons per capita than NYC. I'll take 1-2 idiots on the road in Dallas any day than the 20-30 in NYC per hour. Ask my gf, she noticed my road rage disappeared
Ditto that for Philly. At least I haven't seen anyone (yet) out here who believes Yield=Stop

Old 08-15-2011, 07:35 AM

986 posts, read 1,666,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
That's funny. I've only seen left exits in Houston. Dallas doesn't have left exits. Unless you are speaking of the southbound ramp to I-35e from westbound I-635.
Ramp to I30 from I 35E Southbound in Dallas = left exit
Ramp to I35E North in Dallas from I30 Eastbound = left exit
Ramp to I 635W from I35E northbound (north Dallas) = left exit

And I've noticed here that the yield sign is a suggestion. The yield sign on the exit of 75 Southbound to Ross avenue is the worst. The people on the access road there NEVER yield.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:14 AM

325 posts, read 757,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post

And I've noticed here that the yield sign is a suggestion. The yield sign on the exit of 75 Southbound to Ross avenue is the worst. The people on the access road there NEVER yield.
I think I'd take the never yield over the always yield (even when it's unnecessary). My first week in Philadelphia, I almost rearended some old lady who came to a complete stop on a freeway on ramp, at a yield sign, with ZERO traffic in the slow lanes. That was not an uncommon behavior, and I learned quickly to watch for that as I ran into it (figuratively speaking) a few times per month.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:26 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
Beat me to it. I'll add that some ramps from one freeway to another also take you to the left lane of the freeway you're entering as well, like westbound I-30 to northbound I-35E. And outside of Dallas, there's the exit from I-20 to TX-31 between Longview and Kilgore.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 AM

871 posts, read 2,689,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh19468 View Post
are all these "center lane bandits". Having higher speed limits is great, and coming from years of driving on the west and east coasts, I had an expectation that a lot of people wouldn't want to drive that fast, and would hang towards slow lane, with the occasional knucklehead in the fast lane.

However, it's unbelievable to me how many people just camp out in the center lane going 10-15 mph below the speed limit. That's far more dangerous than either fast or slow lane, as it can be difficult to cut over into either lane (since you have slow pokes to the right, and speed demons to the left). There's definitely a group of Texans that need a few refresher driving lessons...

Thank you! I mentioned this (not center lane slow driving per se, just slow driving in general) a few years ago but the natives take a offense. This problem of drivers driving well below the speed limit/flow of traffic is a severe problem I've seen all over the DFW metroplex. In comparing it to drivers in NorCal, SoCal, and KC, I have DFW in general to be the worst. Not everyone, but this contingent of very slow drivers are just asking to cause accidents.

Another problem I've seen here that I haven't in other metros is people taking very long to start moving after a red light. For some of these people, it's the cell phone again. For others, especially in the burbs, we've seen it's parents more focused on the kids in their car rather than the road.

One big thing I've noticed is that as opposed to other metros, there is a large number of drivers here who talk on their cell phone that they are holding up to their ear or are texting while driving. I can't tell you how many times I've been stuck behind someone driving very slow only to find them on their cell phone once I can finally pass. Yes it's better they are going too slow rather than too fast, but come on, they should be off their cell phone.

My wife and I have noticed this since we got here in Nov 09 and it continues to this day. It is easily our biggest thing we hate about the people here.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:01 AM

132 posts, read 266,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh19468 View Post
are all these "center lane bandits". Having higher speed limits is great, and coming from years of driving on the west and east coasts, I had an expectation that a lot of people wouldn't want to drive that fast, and would hang towards slow lane, with the occasional knucklehead in the fast lane.

However, it's unbelievable to me how many people just camp out in the center lane going 10-15 mph below the speed limit. That's far more dangerous than either fast or slow lane, as it can be difficult to cut over into either lane (since you have slow pokes to the right, and speed demons to the left). There's definitely a group of Texans that need a few refresher driving lessons...
I would gladly take this any day. Here in the Northeast, a lot of our freeways are only 2 lanes wide, and you often come upon 2 tractor trailers/old people driving side by side going 10-20mph UNDER the speed limit for miles on end, forming a rolling roadblock thats impossible to pass. They just cannot seem to grasp the simple concept of a "traveling lane" and a "passing lane."

Old 08-15-2011, 10:25 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
I'm just going to stereotype here....what I've noticed is if the person going slow is in an older and/or beat-up car, the driver is almost always Latino. This is especially true if the car in question is a Chrysler minivan or any make of American pickup truck.

If someone's going slow and drifting or has left their blinker on, it's someone on a cell phone. Usually they're female and disproportionately east Asian. If the car in question is a Town Car or other American luxury behemoth, the driver is usually an older white male.

This is just what I've observed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas