Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,394 times

Advertisements

My child attended the Savannah Elementary School and now attends one of the Little Elm Schools. The curriculum is much more challenging in the Little Elm School and I think they are more child focused than TAKS (state test) focused. My childs teacher is outstanding and so is all of the staff. I still think the curriculum doesn't go far enough in each grade and I am thinking of homeschooling so my child can advance to the next grade regardless of age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdb View Post
I don't think that Little Elm will meet your requirement for schools. My son went to school here for 1 year, then we pulled him out and now he does homeschooling with tutors and takes a few private classes. UNT has an early admission program for advanced students and he'll be enrolling there when he gets old enough. Not to knock the LE schools, but there just isn't anything in the way of TAG programs. That can be a problem just about anywhere, though. I don't know what we'd do if homeschooling wasn't an option. Maybe a long commute to one of the magnet schools in a neighboring town. We could have moved him up a couple of grades, but I think that would have been awful for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 05:23 PM

72 posts, read 257,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post

Just to put things into context, I'm retired... I don't have to commute to work every day, so I can live where I want. I chose this area because of the scenery and because the housing was inexpensive for a given level of quality.

Savannah is not an upscale suburb, but it is not entry level either. It seems to be middle class families with elementary to middle school children, upgrading from more entry level housing. The houses seem like good quality for the price. I especially like my house. Prices are a little higher in Savannah than in another similar suburb, Providence, down the road, but Savannah is closer to the ND Tollway, and the houses seem a little better. The public facilities in Savannah are excellent, with enormous swimming pools and water slides, tennis courts, covered basketball courts and softball parks.

Savannah has an elementary school in the development, and the middle and high school students attend Denton schools. I don't know about their relative quality, for obvious reasons.
Hi DTKids,

I know schools are an important criteria to you, so I thought this may help. The way our schools are ranked here are:

1. Exemplary
2. Recognized
3. Acceptable
4. Unacceptable

Here is the ranking for Denton schools which will include Savannah, Providence and Paloma on that stretch of 380, west of the North Dallas Tollway....

DENTON
Exemplary
Providence Elem.

Recognized
Eugenia Porter Rayzor Houston Elem.
Mcmath Middle
Mcnair Elem.
Mildred M Hawk Elem.
Ryan Elem.
Wilson Elem.

Acceptable
Borman Elem.
Calhoun Middle
Crownover Middle
Denton High
Evers Park Elem.
Ginnings Elem.
Hodge Elem.
John H Guyer H S
Lee Elem.
Navo Middle
Pecan Creek Elem.
Rivera Elem.
Ryan High
Savannah Elem.
Strickland Middle
Fred Moore High
Joe Dale Sparks Campus

Unacceptable
Newton Rayzor Elem.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas dude View Post
FYI
Savannah now has a new builder and brick seems to be ok.
Bowen Homes went in and got a variance. They are allowed to build brick homes, but are only building on the "new" side now by Savannah Elementary.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyp3866 View Post
There is actually 1 maybe 2 bricks home in Savannah.
There were actually some brick front option elevations in the 2 more established villages with the 2 original builders - DR Horton, Emerald (part of DR Horton) and Vision Homes.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtkids View Post
Are both LISD and C-FBISD good districts? I think I can find good housing for 200K.
Here's the info for C-FBISD:

CARROLLTON FARMERS BRANCH

Exemplary
Country Place Elem.
Freeman Elem.
Kent Elem.
Mccoy Elem.
Rainwater Elem.
Rosemeade Elem.

Recognized
Blalack Middle
Bush Middle
Carrollton Elem..
Davis Elem.
Farmers Branch Elem.
Field Middle
Furneaux Elem.
Good Elem.
Landry Elem.
Las Colinas Elem.
Mckamy Elem.
Riverchase Elem.
Sheffield Int.
Stark Elem.
Thompson Elem.
Sheffield Primary

Acceptable
Blair Intermediate
Blanton Elem.
Central Elem.
Creekview High
Early College High
Long Middle
Mclaughlin Elem.
Mcwhorter Elem.
Perry Middle
Polk Middle
Ranchview High
Smith High
Turner High
Grimes Education Center
Montgomery Primary

And for Lewisville:

Exemplary
Briarhill Middle
Bridlewood Elem.

Clayton Downing Middle
Donald Elem.
Flower Mound Elem.
Forest Vista Elem.
Garden Ridge Elem.
Hebron Valley Elem.
Heritage Elem.
Liberty Elem.
Mcauliffe Elem.
Mckamy Middle
Old Settlers Elem.
Parkway Elem.
Prairie Trail Elem.
Shadow Ridge Middle
Wellington Elem.

Recognized
Arbor Creek Middle
B B Owen Elem.
Bluebonnet Elem.
C Douglas Killough Lewisville
Castle Hills Elem.
College St Elem.
Creek Valley Middle
Delay Middle
Ethridge Elem.
Flower Mound High
Forestwood Middle
Griffi n Middle
Highland Village Elem.
Homestead Elem.
Huffi nes Middle
Indian Creek Elem.
Lakeland Elem.
Lamar Middle
Marjory Vickery Elem.
Marshall Durham Middle
Morningside Elem.
Peters Colony Elem.
Polser Elem.
Rockbrook Elem.
Southridge Elem.
Stewarts Creek Elem.
Tom Hicks Elem.
Valley Ridge Elem.

Acceptable
Camey Elem.
Central Elem.
Coyote Ridge Elem.
Creekside Elem.
Degan Elem.
Hebron High
Hedrick Elem.
Hedrick Middle
Lakeview Middle
Lewisville High
Marcus High
The Colony High
Timber Creek Elem.

Hope it helps,
T Hayley

Old 05-27-2008, 11:05 AM

52 posts, read 229,885 times
Flower Mound is not a bad commute to Carrollton. 3040 is three lanes in each direction. Traffic rarely backs up on this road. Carrollton is located just over 35. Flower Mound is constantly improving their roads. All major roads(3040, 2499) south of 1171 are three lanes. The roads north of 1171 are under construction, which is moving rapidly. The schools in Flower Mound are great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas