Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 04:52 PM

131 posts, read 307,513 times

Advertisements

I'm from South Carolina and although I love the bbq here, I wish there was somewhere I could go to get a little taste of home.

I was told that Red Hot and Blue was probably the closest thing to Carolina bbq that I could get, my husband and I went there this past weekend and it was pretty good but it's still not quite what I want.

Anyone know of any Carolina style restaurants, or just really good country cookin' restaurants in general? Growing up in SC I guess I'm a bit of a bbq and country cookin' snob lol. I think I may have taken it for granted growing up!

Any advice on places to try?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 05:01 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,188 times
I've yet to find any Carolina style bbq places during my 10 years in the Dallas area, and I have definitely looked.

I'm not sure what "country cooking" consists of in South Carolina, but there are some pretty good soul food restaurants around if you are looking for southern cooking. Sweet Georgia Brown's down on Ledbetter near I-45 is one of my favorites for that. There are several good chicken fried steak places in the area, but again, I don't know if that is "country cooking" where you are from. There's a good restaurant in Oak Cliff called Hatties, and I think maybe it claims to have "low country" food, which I was told referred to South Carolina.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:03 PM

soul food is a good way to put it, but there are some things that seem to be more specific to Carolina...like rice and hash, I don't know if anyone else does that.

Thanks for the two suggestions, I'll definitely check those out very soon!

Old 08-22-2011, 05:15 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Carolina BBQ is just that- in NC/SC. We're beef BBQ people here in TX, not pork. It's going to be about as difficult to find good pork BBQ here as it is to find good beef BBQ on the East Coast.

Just embrace it And I recommend you start with a trip to Big Al's, Sammy's, and Peggy Sue to get aquainted with TX BBQ!!

Old 08-22-2011, 05:34 PM

301 posts, read 571,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Carolina BBQ is just that- in NC/SC. We're beef BBQ people here in TX, not pork. It's going to be about as difficult to find good pork BBQ here as it is to find good beef BBQ on the East Coast.

Just embrace it And I recommend you start with a trip to Big Al's, Sammy's, and Peggy Sue to get aquainted with TX BBQ!!
I crave Carolina BBQ too. Only way I get my fix is to go back and visit family and friends in SE North Carolina a couple times per year.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:35 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,065 times
The Carolina BBq is in the Carolinas

Old 08-22-2011, 05:44 PM

I guess next time I go back home I'm gonna have to stuff my face until I'm sick!!! lol

Old 08-22-2011, 11:20 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
I posted this a couple of years ago, looking for GA BBQ (which would be closer to Carolina BBQ than the TX variety) especially looking for Brunswick stew. Do Carolinians do Brunswick stew as well? I did get some from Red Hot and Blue, but wasn't the real thing. More of a beef stew with a tomato base, big chunks of potato and other veggies. Was delicious, but not real Brunswick stew.

If anyone knows where that can be found in this part of TX, I would like to know as well.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:55 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,044 times
if you want soul/southern food go here

Welcome to South Dallas Cafe — (214) 337-9200!

Im warning you though they serve way too much food!

Old 08-23-2011, 07:41 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
Tony Roma's used to have some Carolina style ribs, but alas, they are sadly gone. There was another place that had St. Louis style and Carolina style BBQ, can't think of their name (had a place in Mesquite next to the cinemamegaplex). Didn't last long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas