Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 05:17 PM

751 posts, read 1,178,732 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all:

I was wondering if it is common in Dallas suburbs to just say hi to people walking by while you are walking down the street or say Good morning!. Maybe I have become too much of a Minnesotan(or Midwesterner), but saying hi to people walking down the street is very common here and I love this about Minnesota. Living in Houston and Phoenix, it was the total opposite, you would say hi to a neighbor, they would look at you like you are out of my mind. Once again, maybe I am too much of a Minnesotan, but living next door to a neighbor and not knowing who they are just seems so weird to me. Also, starting small talk with ppl at grocery stores and other places is VERY acceptable and very common here, my fiance is so used to it, it is totally small town Minnesota culture. Can we be Minnesotans in the Dallas suburbs and maybe spread around some of this "Minnesota Nice?" without being seen as lunatics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 05:31 PM

27 posts, read 98,495 times
Default Good question

That's a good question. We just got back from looking at houses (McKinney, Allen, Plano) and were surprised every house has a 6-8 fence. Do neighbors tend to stay to themselves? We're in Illinois, and many towns won't even permit a 6' fences. We don't have alot of fences, but most are 4'. We also say "Hi", or "Good Morning" in passing. Is this strange to Texans?

Old 08-14-2007, 05:33 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Default We're friendly too!

I would say it is very common in my neighborhood to speak as you pass by. In fact, it would almost seem aloof or rude to not do so. I don't think you will find Texas (at least Dallas) much different than Minnesota in that regard. Chatting up strangers in the grocery store would not be uncommon either. I don't personally make it a point to talk to someone every time I go out, but sometimes I do if there is a reason to. It would not be perceived as strange. I am not "best friends or anything" with our neighbors but I know them well enough that I usually give them a small gift at Christmas. Some neighborhoods are more friendly, having block parties, group garage sales etc.

Now the difference in the weather... that's another story!

Old 08-14-2007, 05:33 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,762,286 times
Oh my gosh yes! Very friendly people. I was in the Casa Linda area of East Dallas today and struck up a few friendly conversations. You'll be in good company.

(P.S. I use to go to Detroit Lakes MN as a kid in the summer for a week and also went into the Twin Cities occasionally - have fond memories of MN)

Old 08-14-2007, 05:34 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
In my area, you say hello, howdy, how are you, Go Wildcats, etc...also some people will wave driving or give a 'good' finger wave when you let them by. You would at least nod or wave at people if you don't say anything.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:44 PM

670 posts, read 2,999,222 times
When I lived there people said hi and talked over fences, I've only been gone 11 months so I doubt it's changed. It's weird here we don't have fences in the subdivisions and NO ONE makes eye contact or says hi.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:34 PM

303 posts, read 1,011,925 times
We moved here about a year ago. People are friendly, I think you will find it is very similar to Minnesota in that regard.
I don't know why everybody has fences, I do like that. One good reason I can think of is that the wind would blow everything into our neighbor's backyard. You have to witness some of the storms we have here and you'll be thankful for having that fence.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:22 AM

1,067 posts, read 5,655,098 times
Many years ago, I took a history class on the Southwest and Texas at UTA. That was a fantastic class and found the reason to your question on fences.
We as a culture here in Texas are influenced by the Spanish due to that we were once owned by Spain and Mexico and with that their influence lent to us having fences. They as a people value privacy and so through the years have homes with front gates, patios and fenced areas in the back. We also have community property in divorces here due to the spanish influence, spanish names for many towns and rivers and we have a wealth of delicious food. YUM. Personally I like a fence, it makes things more private in the back and you dont have to worry about your neighbor coming in the back or a neighbors dog getting loose.

We had that happen a few times when we lived in a neighborhood where we didn't put up a fence. We would be on our patio with our guests eating dinner and they would trounce right over. We also had a couple of neighbors dogs in our yard after awhile, one had mauled a little girl and I saw the scars. ( I will never understand why they didn't put the dog down) So we put up a fence for safety and privacy.

As far as people being friendly. Where I live, I have for the most part extremely friendly neighbors and if you stopped and talked to one of them, one would keep you there for hours. On both sides of me our retirees from Dallas proper and they are the epitomy of what old Dallas is like. Friendly, the ladies always dressed to the nines, beautiful but not ostentatious jewelry, hair fixed so and nice makeup. Almost everyone on my street is really nice and yet it's private. The only person whom is not the friendliest, I don't wave that way much when I go get the mail. Not because I don't like her, I just think she doesn't like to keep doing that so I just don't. I though smile and nod to recognize her. She and her family aren't from Texas though.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:25 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Also, if you have a swimming pool you are required to have a fence.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:46 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Also, if you have a swimming pool you are required to have a fence.
That and I don't care for the whole world to see my while I'm laying out working on my tan

Yes, we have fences and we still know our neighbors. In many older neighborhoods (50's tract homes) you will find the 4' chain link fence is common. Newer neighborhoods have the 6'-8' wooden fence. Most homes that back to a golf course, greenbelt, park may be required to have nothing more than a 4' wrought iron fence. This is the case in our area but I don't have a golf course lot so that I can have my privacy. We have always known our neighbors and usually end up being very good friends. There is only one neighbor we have that no one knows. They moved in about 1 1/2 years ago and won't acknowledge anyone. They won't make eye contact or anything. While I may not know all of my neighbors we still wave, smile when passing on the road or if passing while outside we greet each other. To not do so is considered very unfriendly round these parts. As for the people that won't even make eye contact - they have their house up for sale . One neighbor said we are going to watch and when the potential buyer is doing their inspection we are going to have an instant block party so that we can approve/disapprove of them. LOL!!! If they won't so much as crack a smile or even look our way we will just start having a big drunken brawl or something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas