U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 06:54 AM

621 posts, read 1,197,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtltke137 View Post
I'm sure all WF customers got the same e-mail:

There are important changes coming to your Free Checking account
What's changing:
Effective September 12, 2011:
The name of your account will change to Personal Checking.
A $7 monthly service fee will apply, which can be waived with one of the following:
Maintain a $1,500 minimum daily balance, or
The total amount of qualifying direct deposits each statement cycle into this account must be $500 or more*
If you do not meet one of the above criteria to waive the monthly service fee, this fee can be discounted by $2 per month when you set up and receive online statements for this account.

I keep my savings in an online account and very little in my WF checking account. I transfer money to my WF checking account when I need to. Like most people I almost never write a check or use an ATM to get cash.

I haven't had to think about this in a while. What is the best strategy to handle my checking? Is there an online option where I can earn interest, write the occasional check, and use ATMs for free? Or is there a bank in DFW that still has "totally free" checking?

If you link a savings account to your checking and let them deposit $1.00 in that savings when you use your debit card, it's free!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 05:26 PM

85 posts, read 180,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I will also jump on the USAA band wagon. I have it (full member through my wife, she got it through her step mom) and they're great. I suppose one downside has been that you have to mail in checks you receive, but you can now cash those at any UPS store or with your smart phone, of you have one.

^^ What he said. USAA is by far the best bank (and honestly one of the best institutions) I've ever used. I would definitely suggest using them if possible.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:13 PM

143 posts, read 653,779 times
It looks like Bank of America is continuing this trend:

Bank of America to charge $5 monthly debit card fee

Quote:
By Blake Ellis September 29, 2011: 3:51 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Get ready for a new wave of bank fees. Bank of America will begin charging a $5 monthly fee at the beginning of next year for customers who make debit card purchases.

Whether you use your card for one purchase a month or 20, you will pay $5 per month starting in 2012. It doesn't matter if you select "debit" or "credit" at the point of sale.
Bank of America plans to charge $5 monthly debit card fee - Sep. 29, 2011

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-24-2011 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: Per the TOS, post only short excerpts from copyrighted material and link to the original article.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:49 AM

143 posts, read 653,779 times
OP Here:

Wow, since I first posted two months ago consumer rage is all aflame against the big banks - especially after Bank of America started charging $5/month for using their debit card.

I ended up choosing ING Direct for my new checking account. I already had an ING Direct savings account so I was familiar with them.

I cancelled my Wells Fargo checking account and it felt so good. The gentleman at the bank asked me, "Is this because of the new fees?", and I said "Yup!".

I have been getting rid of other companies that have been treating me wrongly. After AT&T instituted their bandwidth caps I cancelled my DSL and Home Phone service.

That is the only way these scummy companies will learn.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:18 AM

427 posts, read 891,958 times
Credit Union.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:30 AM

23 posts, read 33,669 times
Most credit unions are member-owned and not-for-profit and offer amazing rates on home and auto loans.

Corporate banks (all the specific ones mentioned in this thread) are for-profit and have one goal in mind and that goal does not benefit you for the most part.

I discovered credit unions when making financial adjustments to purchase my first house and was amazed at the difference between credit unions and corporate banks.

Do a few Google searches and find some discussions on financial boards about personal finances, including banking; it can be quite eye-opening.

I have accounts with 3 corporate banks, 2 online banks, and 2 credit unions because that is what my personal financing needs at this time, but if I were the OP I would be in a credit union and nothing else.

I will be closing all accounts that charge a debit card fee by EOY.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:45 AM

36 posts, read 78,149 times
That's ridiculous. I can't stand banks that do that. I've been with View Point and Capital One. Haven't had any issues with them.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:03 AM

9,223 posts, read 14,412,657 times
What's the best credit union in the DFW area? I'm looking between EECU and Fort Worth CU. Done with the big.banks (currently at Wells Fargo).

Old 11-04-2011, 10:24 AM

966 posts, read 1,681,427 times
Go for a credit union or go to online banking through your insurance company like I did. I've never been happier since I gave Bank of America the boot.

If more people vote with their wallets and hit these banks where they hurt, they wouldn't be doing things like this in the first place.

I know someone who works at a major bank and was texting me and other people to not close our accounts and how so many people were closing their accounts. My response was "Good!"

Old 11-04-2011, 01:56 PM

469 posts, read 798,421 times
I can't understand how people are justifying the charges with direct deposit. No one should be required to get direct deposit to use their accounts free of charge. After all, your money in the account is what is helping keep the bank stay afloat.

BB&T rules by the way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or