Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 07:34 AM
pth

274 posts, read 456,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Any of these bigger banks will bend over backwards to hurt you the first chance they get if it profits them.

Small local banks or credit unions are the way to go.
For now.

Lots of folks stick with bigger banks because of the convenience. You can have an account with a bank that has 12000 atms in all 50 states or you can pay atm service fees banking with a community bank. Of course, if you never leave your town, you're ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 07:36 AM
pth

274 posts, read 456,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
I heard today on the news that someone is trying that in a few states, maybe it was Wells Fargo, but I didn't hear Texas mentioned. Although off topic, I agree this is insane, I mean come on... for a bank to charge a fee when you use their own debit card (unless using it at an ATM that isn't with that bank, I get that)...what have we come to?
It's a test being used on 5 states. Wells Fargo is not the first bank to try this. JP Morgan and Chase tested it as well. It wont work and we'll be back to free debit cards in no time. The losses will outweigh the revenue from the fees, I'm sure.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:55 AM

326 posts, read 959,549 times
PlainsCapital has free checking service, although actual branch locations are sparse.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:36 PM

621 posts, read 1,328,450 times
I had more problems with them yesterday. I'm going try Point Bank and see what happens....I'm tired of the big guys

Old 08-19-2011, 01:48 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,901,537 times
I read yesterday that Wells Fargo is going to start charging a monthly fee for using a debit card.

Wells Fargo Testing Charge For Debit Cards

http://www.independent-bank.com/pers...-checking.html Independent Bank has an excellent Rewards Checking account that pays you 3% interest each month on your balance as long as you use your debit card 8 times per month, use online statements and have one automatic deposit or bank draft each month.

Bank of America has an great eBanking account, that is free if your "deposits and withdrawals are made electronically or at our ATMs
AND, You choose online paperless statements through Online Banking". https://www.bankofamerica.com/deposi...check_overview

Ally bank http://www.ally.com/bank/interest-checking-account/ has a really good Online Checking account also:
Quote:
The convenience of a checking account—the interest rate of a savings account.
$0 to open and no minimum balance
No monthly maintenance fees
Other fees, such as those for returned deposit items and outgoing wires, may reduce earnings
Free Online Banking, Bill Pay, and Popmoney
Free Debit MasterCard®, checks and unlimited check writing
Save time and money—get cash back when you shop
No ATM fees at any ATM nationwide
Earn money back with Ally Perks when you shop with your Ally Checking Debit Card
Variable rate account where balances $15,000 or more get an even higher rate
Free balance alerts
FDIC insured to the maximum allowed by law. Maximize your coverage
Ally's Interest Checking Account rates are accurate as of 8/19/2011. See rates

Last edited by CptnRn; 08-19-2011 at 01:58 PM..

Old 08-22-2011, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,725 times
USAA. You can get a basic membership (banking only, no insurance) as a regular person w/out military service. If you qualify for full membership, even better.

Absolutely, without reservations, I would go with USAA.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:19 PM

143 posts, read 700,531 times
I called Wells Fargo last night and asked what I can do to avoid fees. They gave me another option I had never heard of called a "Custom Management" checking account. It has different option to avoid fees and can be found here:

https://www.wellsfargo.com/checking/custom_manage

Old 09-03-2011, 08:36 PM

574 posts, read 1,473,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twincam666 View Post
I had more problems with them yesterday. I'm going try Point Bank and see what happens....I'm tired of the big guys
I am really loving Bank of America's e-access free checking and free savings accounts. I do most of my banking online and through ATMs so it works for me. And there is no minimum amount to maintain or direct deposit requirements.

One of the customer service reps told me that if I need to visit a branch in person, if I request to speak to a bank officer (the ones in the offices) there is no fee; if a teller helps me there is a fee.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:03 AM

501 posts, read 1,458,906 times
Same as Wells Fargo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
I just switched to Chase, all you need is one direct deposit of $500 or more per month.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:40 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,292,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh19468 View Post
If you're ex military, can't go wrong with USAA (for banking, insurance, pretty much anything...). Also, if either of your parents are USAA members, you can get in too (although don't know if there's age limit for dependents to sign up initially).
Quote:
Originally Posted by babbitt View Post
USAA. You can get a basic membership (banking only, no insurance) as a regular person w/out military service. If you qualify for full membership, even better.

Absolutely, without reservations, I would go with USAA.
I will also jump on the USAA band wagon. I have it (full member through my wife, she got it through her step mom) and they're great. I suppose one downside has been that you have to mail in checks you receive, but you can now cash those at any UPS store or with your smart phone, of you have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas