Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:06 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
Dallas is not identified with Vietnamese food. Rather more so say steaks, and maybe to a lesser extent BBQ.

A Pho challenge makes more sense for say, San Jose, where not only does it have a larger Vietnamese population, the food is more of a part of San Jose and its tradition because of the sheer number of Vietnamese people there and all different kinds of Vietnamese businesses there. When you think San Jose, you think "Lee's Sandwiches" (Vietnamese Sandwich place).

When you think Dallas, you don't think Pho. That's the point, and that DFW newspaper was right on with its suggestions for challenges (which it posted a while back and they even posted an update saying their suggestions were ignored).
Traditionally, I agree with you. However, given how fast this area is changing demographically, what we traditionally associate with this area will be different in the future.

Lee's is damn good! I stopped by there the other day when I was in Garland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 11:12 AM

419 posts, read 997,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
The challenge was a Sprouts Springroll & Pho and the guy ate the pho challenge. It was a 5lbs soup.

The other places he went were Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse | Dallas Fort Worth BBQ | Barbeque Catering

and Kuby's Sausage House

I never heard of Kuby's. I might have to try it. But Im sure its packed now from being on tv. Same thing happened with twisted root when it was on Diners Drive ins and dives.

Kuby's has been around for about 50+ years and is a Dallas institution.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:36 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,223,464 times
When I lived in CA my friend who was from here always told me about Kuby's and I still haven't gone. I will now!

I'm kind of sick of every TV show going to Sonny Bryan's. There are so many other places BBQ or not for them to visit.

I really wish MvF had done the Kenny's El Jefe Grande challenge or even the Cowtown one, I just really like Kenny's.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:06 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,513 times
Quote:

When you think Dallas, you don't think Pho.
Agreed

Old 08-18-2011, 05:15 PM

871 posts, read 2,688,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Traditionally, I agree with you. However, given how fast this area is changing demographically, what we traditionally associate with this area will be different in the future.

Lee's is damn good! I stopped by there the other day when I was in Garland.
Lee's is damn good, yes, but even in Garland, most people wouldn't think of Lee's Sandwiches as representative of food found in Garland.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:52 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Dallas is not identified with Vietnamese food. Rather more so say steaks, and maybe to a lesser extent BBQ.

A Pho challenge makes more sense for say, San Jose, where not only does it have a larger Vietnamese population, the food is more of a part of San Jose and its tradition because of the sheer number of Vietnamese people there and all different kinds of Vietnamese businesses there. When you think San Jose, you think "Lee's Sandwiches" (Vietnamese Sandwich place).

When you think Dallas, you don't think Pho. That's the point, and that DFW newspaper was right on with its suggestions for challenges (which it posted a while back and they even posted an update saying their suggestions were ignored).
There are TONS of pho places around here in Richardson and more in Plano. Probably lots in Garland too.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:30 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
There are TONS of pho places around here in Richardson and more in Plano. Probably lots in Garland too.
Yup. I think it was a good choice. Let people know Dallas is much more varied than its stereotypes.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:40 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
Quote:

They didn't do a stereotypical show with tumbleweeds, shots of the Arizona desert, big ol' steaks and cowboys from movies shot in California. I applaud them for that. Pho is a very popular type of restaurant here in the Dallas area. In fact, I'm surprised you didn't think it belonged in Dallas. Drive around Jupiter and Walnut. You'll see nothing but signs in Vietnamese -- banks, dentists, bakeries, hair salons, etc. There are lots of pho restaurants throughout the city and the suburbs. We don't have 150,000 people of Vietnamese descent like San Jose-San Francisco. But we've got 75,000. That's enough to make it a legitimately large population.

And by the way, when I "think San Jose," I think suburbs.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:52 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,223,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
They didn't do a stereotypical show with tumbleweeds, shots of the Arizona desert, big ol' steaks and cowboys from movies shot in California. I applaud them for that. Pho is a very popular type of restaurant here in the Dallas area. In fact, I'm surprised you didn't think it belonged in Dallas. Drive around Jupiter and Walnut. You'll see nothing but signs in Vietnamese -- banks, dentists, bakeries, hair salons, etc. There are lots of pho restaurants throughout the city and the suburbs. We don't have 150,000 people of Vietnamese descent like San Jose-San Francisco. But we've got 75,000. That's enough to make it a legitimately large population.

And by the way, when I "think San Jose," I think suburbs.
You realize a bunch of Westerns were shot in Italy...

And there still are cowboys in some parts of CA so... yeah...

I have nothing against Pho but I am curious if this was a challenge prior to the show? I feel like some of these challenges are started just to be on the show and are not legendary like the Big Texan etc.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:21 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Yup. I think it was a good choice. Let people know Dallas is much more varied than its stereotypes.
Absolutely. I get tired of the holy trinity of steak/Tex-Mex/BBQ restaurants around here. Don't even get me started on the craptastic 'family bistros' like Applebee's, Chili's, TGI Friday's, etc. Yuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas