Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 07:52 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone65 View Post
Now, you can find areas that have some trees and manmade lakes, but they are few and far between. I think people should get an answer to their question, not a defensive retort by natives.
few-and-far between lakes?? Have you seen a map of DFW? There are six MASSIVE lakes (like Lake Dallas, Lake Lavon, Lake Ray Hubbard, Joe Pool....) and countless smaller ones.
Hundreds (!!) of miles of lakefront.

Some trees? LOL. There are vast areas that are essentially a forest. Sure, I am not talking about Frisco and the northern Plains. But drive around in Bluff View, Preston Hollow, Lake Highlands, Lakewood, Oak Cliff, The Park Cities etc.

BTW, I am not a native Texan. I am not even a US citizen. I don't have a TX patriotic motive at all. I just find it funny, if people write total BS, like Dallas is a brown wasteland. Because it is just not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 09:20 AM

168 posts, read 500,290 times
Default Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
few-and-far between lakes?? Have you seen a map of DFW? There are six MASSIVE lakes (like Lake Dallas, Lake Lavon, Lake Ray Hubbard, Joe Pool....) and countless smaller ones.

Some trees? LOL. There are vast areas that are essentially a forest. Sure, I am not talking about Frisco and the northern Plains. But drive around in Bluff View, Preston Hollow, Lake Highlands, Lakewood, Oak Cliff, The Park Cities etc.

BTW, I am not a native Texan. I am not even a US citizen. I don't have a TX patriotic motive at all. I just find it funny, if people write total BS, like Dallas is a brown wasteland. Because it is just not true.
I guess it depends on what you are using for a comparison. All of the trees in the areas mentioned were planted when the homes were built, so at one point, it was fairly barren. At some point, Frisco will have large trees as well, but like quite a few of females in DFW, it will not be natural, just enhanced.

FWIW, my wife lived most of her life in Dallas. She also thinks that the topography is barren, boring, bland, lifeless etc....

Best for the folks looking to move to DFW to spend time where they are planning on living to get a better feel.

There will always be the lure of inexpensive housing but reality sets in fairly quickly

Old 09-23-2007, 01:09 PM

937 posts, read 2,907,215 times
Who cares if they were planted? What's your point? Trees are trees. Also, the Trinity forest was not planted. Where did your wife live? Plano?

Old 09-23-2007, 01:26 PM

175 posts, read 405,087 times
Quote:
There are six MASSIVE lakes (like Lake Dallas, Lake Lavon, Lake Ray Hubbard, Joe Pool....) and countless smaller ones.
Who cares if there are million miles of lakefront in Dallas, when there are no walkways for the people, where they can go to waterfront, sit in a cafe, sip their coffees or teas while enjoying a nice cookie and watching the water having a nice conversation with one another.

Who cares if there are miles and miles of lakes when all the lakefront is occupied by the houses, not the citizens who paid for those lakes to be built and keep paying for those lakes to be maintained.

Compare the lakefront of Toronto, Montreal, Chicago etc to the lakefronts of DFW and the clarity of the truth will blind the eyes of the ignorance.

Heck compare the waterfront of the beach towns like Miami, SF etc to the waterfront of the huge lakes of DFW, the difference will make hearts weep.

Last edited by zatires; 09-23-2007 at 01:56 PM..

Old 09-23-2007, 03:21 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zatires View Post
Who cares if there are million miles of lakefront in Dallas, when there are no walkways for the people, where they can go to waterfront, sit in a cafe, sip their coffees or teas while enjoying a nice cookie and watching the water having a nice conversation with one another.
This is perfectly possible on White Rock Lake. It has a limited traffic access road (Lawther) around the lake together with paved trails. You didn't see the pictures I posted?
Instead of dinner, I often have a picknick on the Peninsula and watch the sunset. After dark, once DT Dallas turns on the lights, the atmosphere is phenomenal.

Sure, some of the larger lakes only have sections that are publicly accessible but at least it is possible to actually afford a lake front property in DFW without being a multi-millionaire, like in SF or Miami or Chicago or Toronto or Montreal etc.

Quote:
Who cares if there are miles and miles of lakes when all the lakefront is occupied by the houses, not the citizens who paid for those lakes to be built and keep paying for those lakes to be maintained.
??? Just not true.

Quote:
Compare the lakefront of Toronto, Montreal, Chicago etc to the lakefronts of DFW and the clarity of the truth will blind the eyes of the ignorance.

Heck compare the waterfront of the beach towns like Miami, SF etc to the waterfront of the huge lakes of DFW, the difference will make hearts weep.
I have been to all those cities and they are spectacular. I just returned from Miami on Friday and was impressed by the beaches.

It didn't make my heart weep though. Those are nice cities to visit, no doubt.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:18 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
No walkways are you kidding? - we have miles of them - I must have been around White Rock a million times on them. You can go all the way north of LBJ on the White Rock trail at the north end of the lake. And soon it will be connected to the Katy Trail and the East Dallas Veloway and Tenison Trail. Also there is an additonal trail up the west side of the lake on that abandoned rail line which should be in place in a few years.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:20 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Speaking of Miami, try walking from the Colony Hotel to the Delano --- or have you tried to walk in SF from the Presidio to the Embarcadero?

Old 09-24-2007, 01:37 PM

175 posts, read 405,087 times
Quote:
I must have been around White Rock a million times on them. You can go all the way north of LBJ on the White Rock trail at the north end of the lake.
Wow,

Out of that many many lakes around DFW one old lake has walking trails.
One lake out of many.
And the idea is not about walking trail or not.
Do people have to go to waterfront just to exercise all the time?

Read my original post and see what I gripe about. It is not about walk to exercise. I run 6 miles a day on the streets. As long as you run it does not matter. But a human factor in the waterfront is what is missing.

And Dallas can not even be the nailtip of SF or Miami when it comes down to waterfront access and fun factor!

Old 09-24-2007, 02:09 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
My family is planning to relocate to the North Dallas area from the Denver area within the next year or less. My husband will be working in Richardson, TX. We have two boys ages 1 and 3. I am very excited about this move because I will finally be able to take a break from my career and stay home with my children (we cannot afford to do that here in Colorado). We want to spend about $225k - $250k for a home. I am also a person who loves the heat and HATES the cold winters. I grew up in CA.

I am worried because when we tell people we are planning on moving they act like we are CRAZY. Sure we live in a beautiful state and in a nice area, but the reason we are moving is job opportunity, closer to family, cost of living AND to escape snow. The biggest factor is I want to stay home with my boys and can afford to do that in Dallas. Does anyone have advice on where we should live? We are looking into Frisco, McKinney, Plano and Richardson. I want good schools and a good place for kids. Of course here in CO we like to get outdoors a lot. Are there places like that in north Dallas? I know we are giving up the mountains...I just mean trails, etc.
Any advice???
Frisco to Richardson sounds like an ugly commute. I've seen the interchange on the Bush where it meets the tollroad...it's very scary sometimes. If your hubby wants to be close to work in Richardson, I'd look at Plano and Allen and forget about Frisco and McKinney...McKinney is north of Allen and Central Expressway narrows up there. Rush hour ain't nothin' pretty.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:11 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonna View Post
Thats fine for your kids, not ours. we dont want them to be rednecks
Oh please. I grew up in Dallas and I'm not a redneck. I don't even own a pickup truck, I can't line dance...heck, I don't even own a cowboy hat. I speak French fluently, listen to classical music, and enjoy the arts...and I LOVE living in the metromess.

If you hate it so much, please do leave...but if you think Dallas is full of rednecks, I wonder how much time you've actually spent here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas