Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 8,262 times

Advertisements

I am moving for work (which is in Plano) so I am wondering what advice for a Mid 20 single guy on where to live. I don't think I want to live in Plano if it is quiet. I have heard good things about Uptown. How would the commute be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 02:53 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,028,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy21 View Post
I am moving for work (which is in Plano) so I am wondering what advice for a Mid 20 single guy on where to live. I don't think I want to live in Plano if it is quiet. I have heard good things about Uptown. How would the commute be?
Depends on what part of Plano you'd be working in and what your budget is. You might also consider The Village.

The Village Apartments

Old 08-24-2011, 02:59 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,043,612 times
Uptown is about a 25 minute reverse commute to Plano. I've been doing it the past 5 years and think it's worth it to live where I play. Count on $100/mo in tollls and driving about 15,000 miles a year though.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:06 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,028,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Uptown is about a 25 minute reverse commute to Plano. I've been doing it the past 5 years and think it's worth it to live where I play. Count on $100/mo in tollls and driving about 15,000 miles a year though.
The OP's job might be on 75 though. No tolls!

Old 08-24-2011, 03:22 PM

16,087 posts, read 40,955,084 times
And maybe DART rail.. but getting from the station to work could be problematic..

Old 08-24-2011, 03:28 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,417,089 times
As other said, where in Plano is important. If you don't want to live in Plano - and you either want to or not, no one seems lukewarm - commuting in from further south isn't bad, but if your job is off the Tollway, TC80 is right, uptown is good for you, if you job is off 7, see how close it is to The Dart station, and if the train times work for you, if not I'd stay out of Uptown and look more to the East and North.
I've made the commute from East Dallas to West Plano for a job, and it isn't the N/S part of the drive that kills you, it is the E/W.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:51 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,507,472 times
I live in the M-Streets and commute to Plano up 75...it isn't bad, but traffic sucks once you hit 635 on the way home.

You can look at downtown Plano too--nice vibe. Also check out Addison.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:03 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,713,859 times
If you want a fun place to live close to Plano, then look at Austin Ranch.

Austin Ranch: Apartments with Unique Amenities in North Dallas, Plano

I feel single and 25 when I jog past it down Windhaven.

Trust me, you will not be disappointed.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:28 PM

43 posts, read 94,458 times
If your job is close to 75 it would be a good idea to look at the new developments along 75 in Richardson. There is Brick Row, The Venue and Post Eastside. They are all newer mixed-use type apartments (retail on 1st floor, apartments above). They are geared towards 20 & 30 somethings workings in the area. Also Richardson is on the DART rail line and between Plano and Dallas so you would not be too far from the nightlife of Dallas or your job (if it is close to 75 in Plano). If your Job is closer to the Dallas North Tollway in Plano I would look at Addison Circle in Addison. It is also between Dallas and Plano and has a good nightlife itself.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:29 PM

180 posts, read 477,315 times
This is coming from a chick about to hit the dirty thirty but has lived in most of the places stated above in the 8 yrs I've lived here.

Lakewood/East Dallas-Has so much charm, character and definitely a more boho feel. Lower Greenville is a strip of bars and restaurants was a blast back in the day. White Rock Lake is a stone skip away, which is by far the best park in Dallas. 9.3 mile paved loop around the lake you can run, cycle, and even kayak there since no motorized boats are allowed on the lake. This is my favorite part of the city now.

Uptown/Knox Henderson- Has a plethora of bars, lounges, restaurants within walking distance. Lot's of young pretty things in "bling" and designer gear. This is the most walkable part of Dallas and for single mid 20's that likes the night life, this is the best place to be IMO. I loved the fact that I could walk to Kozy's for breakfast, Chuy's for margarita's (food not so great) and Abacus for a nice fancy dinner. That was just my small .25 mile radius, there are so many other great places in this area. Down the road and across 75 was my fave with Capitol, Barcadia, The Porch, Tei Tei.....so fun! Katy trail for running and you can cycle leisurely (I don't think it is a good trail to ride hard and fast).

Austin Ranch-Humungous mastermind apartment community with very well kept grounds. The "party scene" is going to be at the pools and volleyball courts. You will see lot's of cyclists and runners around. Windhaven hill is where a lot of them go for "hill training". Area has some nice hills and Arbor hills nature preserve is nearby which is a quaint little park with 2.3 mile paved trail for running. There are a few bars & restaurants on the the property: Zen, Mcswiggins, Gecko, El Centro, Lonestar coffee. If you want to branch out of the bubble, you'll have to drive. Such as the Shops of Legacy, another masterminded community that has a bunch of other bars and restaurants which I like to call Cougarland Between Park and Parker on Preston you'll find more restaurants and lot's of families/kids.

Addison Circle: Another masterminded community but signifigantly smaller than AR. The scene here will be the pools during the summer, festivals when they run and the 2 bars. Clean and manicured grounds with Addison Circle Park on the property that hold host to some pretty fun festivals like: Taste of Addison, Kaboom Town, and Octoberfest. During the spring/summer they have movies, salsa, jazz and symphony in the park. Only 2 bars on campus, The Mucky Duck and Lion and the Crown which feels like "Cheers" because you know everyone....if you like variety and want something different, Beltline is just down the road. Pete's Piano Bar, the comedy club, Blackfinn, Dukes, ect are here. You can "walk" Beltline, but honestly you won't find that many people walking. Suburbs=driving. Nothing unique, just standard easy comfortable places.

They all have their own character (or lack of one) but I would go visit all the places you are looking at moving to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas