Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 12:39 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse View Post
The first time I ever heard of anyone referring to a "used" home was when I moved to Texas.
I've only heard the term relatively recently, and never from Texans. I only hear it from transplants who want a brand spanking new enormous (and luxurious) house for $20 a square foot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 01:18 PM

621 posts, read 1,333,211 times
It really depends on who is building these homes...If it's Grand or K.Hov run away

Old 08-25-2011, 01:25 PM

419 posts, read 998,126 times
Eeewww! A used home. Somebody else lived there? How disgusting. Think of all the nasty things they probably did when they were living in the same house 5 years ago! You should never buy a used home when a new one is available. Everybody knows that the value in a home is in the bricks and sticks, not the dirt! Buy the new one. I don't care where it is. The used one is old and dirty. Everybody knows you can't fix up or clean a used house that was built in 2010.

The three rules of real estate aren't location, location, location. It's new, shiny and clean! Once you live there a year, just sell it and move down the street. Not that anyone will want to buy it, because nobody wants a used house.

Nasty! Used? I can't believe you'd ever think of such a thing.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:33 PM

92 posts, read 291,511 times
Panther Creek is a nice master-plan with excellent schools on site and near by...once the Preston Rd construction is completed the transportation will be easier. Little Elms roads are still over-loaded, though improving too.
Get a home warranty in addition to an inspection!

Old 08-29-2011, 05:45 AM

574 posts, read 1,640,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsafstrom View Post
I would lean more towards the house in Frisco. Make sure to get a thorough home inspection to find out what you are dealing with as far as repairs go. Little Elm is nice, but I don't think the real estate will increase in value as much in some parts of Frisco down the road.

Is that your expert opinion as a home inspector or as a used home salesperson? Sounds like you are giving financial advice beyond your area of supposed expertise?

'Used home' I like that, b/c that's exactly what it is.
Question in blue italics above.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:48 AM

58 posts, read 142,009 times
Try Paloma Creek for Little Elm area. I live there and it's nice, quiet, and good prices.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:27 AM

58 posts, read 142,009 times
Also, 423 is set to get a widening, so construction along there is going to be rough.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:29 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,430 times
Why buy someone else's house when you can build your own for the same price or less.We saved thousands by choosing what we wanted.I had no flooring to replace,backsplahes to change,painting or updating.We customized everything from kitchen backsplash and hard wood sloping color to where we wanted electrical outlets.

Last edited by CREW747; 09-04-2011 at 10:15 AM..

Old 09-04-2011, 11:07 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
Why buy someone else's house when you can build your own for the same price or less.........
Wrong. In those areas where building is going on, a 3-5 y/o house costs anywhere from $50K to $75K LESS b/c too many think like you do. For that difference you can paint and landscape and change counter tops to your taste and have a lot left over. Not everone wants new, some of us appreciate mature landscapes. I know the numbers b/c I am looking to move near my grandkids.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:46 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
Why buy someone else's house when you can build your own for the same price or less.We saved thousands by choosing what we wanted.I had no flooring to replace,backsplahes to change,painting or updating.We customized everything from kitchen backsplash and hard wood sloping color to where we wanted electrical outlets.
You're actually paying MORE for new construction in CoCo vs previously owned because the demand is for new homes and demand drives prices up. Did you see the post in the East/West Frisco thread where the poster paid $66/sf for a 2-year old home that had more finish outs/upgrades than the brand new $100/sf homes in her neighborhood?

Those "gently used" under 5 year old homes usually go for 20-50% less than new homes since everyone is so hung up on buying new.

It's important to understand the nuances of the CoCo market, especially if buyers aren't buying their "forever" homes. Can you afford a 30% hit just to sell your home in a sea of brand new ones?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas