Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 5,122 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

I am new to this site (and the DFW area in general) and have a few questions regarding Flower Mound. I have seen several other threads regarding the city, but most of the topics revolve around kid-friendly neighborhoods. My husband and I do not currently have any children, and while we are not against living in a family oriented neighborhood, it is not a top priority for us at this time.

We will be first time home buyers, so we want to be sure to find a home in the right location. Flower Mound seems to be where we would like to live - given the nice area, location relative to work for us, and lower property tax rates. We are looking for a home between $250k and $300k but are also somewhat flexible with that range.

What we have not been able to find much info on are the HOAs. Are there certain HOAs that are better than others? Better areas of town? etc. Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 09:04 AM

269 posts, read 574,912 times
Each HOA would be dependent on the sub-division you purchase your home in, it's hard to gauge which HOA is better than the other unless you happen to get a comparison.

You could ask your realtor to supply you all the different HOA guides for you to decide which community you'd prefer to live in.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:57 AM

301 posts, read 570,845 times
Some of the HOAs have their documents online. I know Wellington does.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:14 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,556,577 times
I can only speak for Wellington. The HOA has pissed my parents off a few times when they got extra snippity about what color the garage door could be painted (it was a neutral color) and they like to harass about weeds in the spring.

It was basically because the HOA employed 2 SAHMs who had unlimited time on their hands and just got bored. I'm not sure if they are still there. I haven't heard anything about it in awhile. It was annoying, but not really a big deal.

On the flip side, the HOA does a great job keeping a sense of community, planning events, and keeping the neighborhood looking good.

Here is the link:

http://www.wellingtonhoa.net/

Old 08-25-2011, 08:38 PM

301 posts, read 570,845 times
I have a feeling that Bridlewood is similar. I know my brother got "love notes" as we called them from time to time for small things in The Villages of Northshore.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:37 PM

473 posts, read 1,199,515 times
I live in Wellington. They did ask me to some questions before approving my roof change but its good to have such controls. Overall we are enjoying all the amenities. They also have regular free yoga, fitness and dance classes as part of the HOA.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:52 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,556,577 times
I think a lot of it was the result of a universally hated neighbor that felt the need to call the HOA for every.little.damn.thing. I wouldn't blame most of it on Wellington and certainly wouldn't let it stop me from living there. It's an afterthought, really.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:44 AM

269 posts, read 574,912 times
Folks, if it's in your HOA rules & regulations, and you break them, then you're going to get a letter, when you bought the house, you agreed to abide by the rules of your HOA.

The same rules apply to everyone, so the best way is just to live within your HOA rules and you won't be disappointed.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:49 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
HOAs are as good or bad as the people who run them
personally I think an owner-run HOA is better than one where a management company is paid to do what volunteers don't have the time or desire to do--and your dues go up (sometimes dramatically) to cover the management company fees
Our HOA for a small neighborhood with no large common areas has been going through lot of drama lately--we just realized that the bylaws our HOA operates under are different from what most homeowners thought we were operating under...
the initial 7 members of the Board rewrote the bylaws that the developer operated under and imposed some really one-sided power all to the Board members benefit--none to the HOA at large...
I believe most neighborhoods are better off with rules that give parameters for quality control...
after seeing what happens in areas where anything goes--I know that is not for me...

BUT before you buy ANY home--make sure you get a copy of the CURRENT bylaws and CCR--the deed restrictions--and maybe ask to see copies of the HOA board minutes--
we never would have bought this house if we had seen copy of the current bylaws--way too much power in hands of 7 people--and no way to recall a Board member except by the once a year election process...

State law has been revised in the past legislature session to take lot of the power out of the HOA boards to make voting/elections/meetings/deed restrictions more transparent and balanced...
many HOAs will have to revise their bylaws to be in accord with state law--our HOA certainly will...and all to the good...IMO
but if people with a fair-minded attitude are not willing to serve on the Board then one-sided, personality-driven Boards can stil hold sway over an HOA...

Old 08-26-2011, 12:58 PM

107 posts, read 166,877 times
I currently live in an area where we do not have HOA. In Flower Mound or around that general area, is everything grouped in HOA or are there "just homes on a street"? This is a new concept to me that it looks like I need to get up to speed on. Thoughts? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas