Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 08:12 PM

20 posts, read 42,397 times

Advertisements

Ok everyone always asks for 'street names' to rate a neighborhood for purchasing a home which I've listed below.

Before that I'd like to state, that I don't mind living in lower income areas or racially mixed areas.

Second, to me a criminal area is if I walk down the street, random hooligans will jump out of the bushes and rob me, not what some crime map says i.e. some of the 'assaults' were harassing phone calls, which those 'assaults' would obviously never involve me.

Ok so here are some areas.

1) Eastfield College, north side and West side

2) John West, Laprada to Lakeland.

3) Between Oates/Furguson/Shiloh

4) Centerville Rd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 10:06 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
The nicest neighborhood in 75228 is probably Claremont, which is wedged between Ferguson, Lakeland, Buckner, and 30. Nice sized lots, well built 1950's homes and generally a strong middle class vibe.

For that reason, I'd pick option #2 as first choice. I don't think any of those addresses are "drive by shooting" kind of "bad"/unsafe, but I'd put the areas around Eastfiekd and the Centerville listing significantly below the other two neighborhood choices.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:45 PM

922 posts, read 1,697,159 times
first off here is a map for the neighborhoods you will probably need this since most of the names are not well known.

link with map
Google Maps and Far East Dallas Neighborhood Associations | Aren Cambre's Blog

map alone
Dallas, Texas: Garden and Lake District Neighborhood Organizations Map - Google Maps

I Don't know much about number one but the area around St Pius is supposed to be a nice area.

For number two, everything east of Dilido Rd. roughly bounded by Gross Rd. on the North, is considered a high crime area. But Most of the crimes occur in and around all of the apartment complexes. The best neighborhoods in this area would be where the old White Rock airport used to be, those would be Claremont Addition, Hillridge, Lakeland Hills, and White Rock Hills.

Number three is Harry Stone, which is not the best neighborhood, some better areas would be Casa Linda Forest, Casa Linda Estates, or Little Forest Hills, all of which are west of Ferguson Rd.

Number four is Casa View Heights, this area is the kind where you can have a really nice street or two but that can quickly change in just a few streets, the biggest crime that is likely to occur in this area would be burglaries. The Briarwood and Braeburn Glen neighborhoods which are east of Shiloh Rd. are a little nicer areas.

And if you want to search crime reports you can search here, click on the case numbers to read the report. An example of a case would be something like 0240557-W

Disclaimer and Restriction of Use

Last edited by DtX4415; 08-25-2011 at 10:55 PM..

Old 08-26-2011, 08:34 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,479,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
The nicest neighborhood in 75228 is probably Claremont, which is wedged between Ferguson, Lakeland, Buckner, and 30. Nice sized lots, well built 1950's homes and generally a strong middle class vibe.
Eh-hem....that would be Casa Linda Forest. Bordered by Lakeland, Ferguson, Buckner and the train tracks. I associate it more with 75218 and prefer to use that post office, etc.

For the most part, you want to be a block or two in from Ferguson and Buckner - there are a fair amount of low income apts on both street south and west of where they intersect.

I'd avoid along John West - there are bad apt bldgs there too. My neighbor (pregnant at the time) chased a guy who stole her bike into that area and was reprimanded by the police for the danger she put herself in by driving into the nasty apt complexes over there looking for her bike.

Off Centerville toward Peavy is decent. There is a strong neighborhood assoc presence there - a tight group. Casa View Haven Neighborhood Association

#1 and #3 on your list are almost the same area. The most annoying thing you'll probably experience is noise from your neighbors and lots of cars parked along the streets.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:51 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,941 times
I echo a lot of Pepper's sentiments. I live in the first area on your list, and it's virtually no different than #3. I think #3 is slightly nicer than where I live in area #1, and San Medina and San Paula are particularly well kept streets compared to the rest of the neighborhood. My biggest complaints living here are just that there are many people who don't take care of their property, too many cars on the street, and I get a lot of floating debris in my yard.

#2 -- John West just has a seedy feel to me. There is always a lot of crime going on at the La Prada apartments, and if you're ever driving by the convenience stores/gas stations on that corner of La Prada and John West, take a look at how many unsavory characters are just loitering in front of businesses and on the street corners. I've only used that gas station a couple of times in emergencies. Out of these four areas, this isn't the one I'd pick

#4 -- Centerville isn't bad. I'm not a big fan of wood siding homes, and some streets are a lot better than others. Casa View Elementary is in this area, and is one of the better schools east of the lake. So that probably reflects on the quality of the residents some.

I would also look at the homes north of Oates, west of Peavy, east of Buckner, and south of Garland Rd. You might find some similarly priced homes in areas that are kept up a bit better than these other neighborhoods.

Google or Facebook "The Ferguson Road Initiative." They've done a lot of good things for this area.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:54 PM

43 posts, read 94,910 times
There is crime everywhere. But serious crime is significantly less if you stay on the N.W. side of Hwy. 78 (Garland Rd.)

Last edited by DrewLB20; 08-26-2011 at 02:40 PM..

Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 AM

69 posts, read 238,224 times
Chiming in here.. I just moved to Alger Park/Ash Creek area and I love the neighborhood. I'm south of the train tracks, North of Oates, East of Buckner and West of Peavy. It's very quiet here (some traffic noise from Buckner during rush hours) not a lot of "thru" traffic in the neighborhood except for school traffic for WH Buckner middle school. I'm in one of the nicer duplex's in the neighborhood and I pay $900 for 2 bed/1 bath and about 1300 SF. I moved here from Preston Hollow (Del Norte) and I do miss being central to everything..... but besides that I'm happy with my move.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:12 AM

743 posts, read 1,320,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhugh View Post
Chiming in here.. I just moved to Alger Park/Ash Creek area and I love the neighborhood. I'm south of the train tracks, North of Oates, East of Buckner and West of Peavy. It's very quiet here (some traffic noise from Buckner during rush hours) not a lot of "thru" traffic in the neighborhood except for school traffic for WH Buckner middle school. I'm in one of the nicer duplex's in the neighborhood and I pay $900 for 2 bed/1 bath and about 1300 SF. I moved here from Preston Hollow (Del Norte) and I do miss being central to everything..... but besides that I'm happy with my move.
Good choice! But it's WH Gaston ON Buckner

Old 05-24-2012, 12:05 PM

69 posts, read 238,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
Good choice! But it's WH Gaston ON Buckner
Opps.. yes that is what I intended to type. LOL Thanks for the correction.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:51 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
Dixon Branch on that map seems to be what we used to call Lochwood..there are some very nice homes in there with huge trees the Dixon Branch creek running through...

I think the areas around Garland Road are definitely on the upswing - there are new businesses that are sort of "Austin-ish" going in since the area went wet. Also Lincoln Property buying all 3 corners (yes it's really 3) of Gaston/Garland/East Grand for a massive redevelopment, the new Spillway work, Arboretum expansion (despite parking controversy) all pushes demand up farther along to the northeast. There are many beautiful homes on the huge lots in Forest Hills (and quite a few new homes from tear-downs) and as that becomes more expensive pressure on prices goes up in the neighborhoods with smaller homes and lots. East Dallas Area 12 saw a 20% appreciation rate in the last quarterly real estate sales report published by Steve Brown in the Dallas Morning News.

Hexter and Sanger elementary schools are doing well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas