Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 09:02 AM

965 posts, read 1,884,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
really? why? Let's say it were true, and I agree I think this sounds a little embellished. But at the end of the day who really cares, it doesn't define you or the place you grew up.

If I heard someone say something like this I would want to distance myself from it, not run headlong into stupidity. Obviously they were drunk and stupid, and in my opinion that can happen in any city.

This goes to my point of people in the world, particularly when it comes to this topic, need to work from the inside out instead of trying to alter the world around them. If someone wants to talk like that, at the end of the day they are words that from the sounds of it were not directed at anyone in particular, and ultimately a reflection on them personally. Life has a way of working these things out for those people. People need to learn and be taught to take the high road a little more, a very Catholic/Christian value that needs to be taught outside of Sunday Mass and in our schools to our young ones. Sorry to bring Religion into this..

I am not saying you don't do this as a rule..I am just saying it's interesting the reaction of alot of people in our society is to Nerf the world as I call it, and try and change others and their behaviors in an attempt to make the world better and safer. I dont' completely subscribe to this line of thinking, I honestly think sometimes we just let people be stupid, even when it's offensive. It's their problem at the end of the day.
So what you're saying is Civil Rights activists were trying to "Nerf the world" in your words back in the 50's and 60's?

Old 08-31-2011, 09:13 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
So what you're saying is Civil Rights activists were trying to "Nerf the world" in your words back in the 50's and 60's?
Oh look who it is! Welcome to the party. The fact I am even going to dignify this with a response goes against my better judgement since you have made it clear in another thread your feelings..Not what I meant though, I am saying people are hyper-sensitive to this stuff to the point we want to wage war over something that really has no effect on anything. Big difference from a time when Blacks had different seating charts and water fountains. But nice try..

I mean look at Clarence's attitude towards an entire area of Dallas. Over a few buffoons at a football game.

We may still have progress to make on race relations in America, but we're a long way from the 50-60s. Although some black people tend to disagree.

Last edited by skids929; 08-31-2011 at 09:28 AM..

Old 08-31-2011, 09:38 AM

965 posts, read 1,884,510 times
Quote:
Oh look who it is! Welcome to the party. The fact I am even going to dignify this with a response goes against my better judgement since you have made it clear in another thread your feelings..Not what I meant though, I am saying people are hyper-sensitive to this stuff to the point we want to wage war over something that really has no effect on anything. Big difference from a time when Blacks had different seating charts and water fountains. But nice try..

I mean look at Clarence's attitude towards an entire area of Dallas. Over a few buffoons at a football game.

We may still have progress to make on race relations in America, but we're a long way from the 50-60s. Although some black people tend to disagree.
Yes we have come a long way since the 50's and 60's, I do agree on that. However, I don't like it when other people try to belittle people's experiences and how we should feel about being treated, particularly when there are legitimate actual problems even in this day (not just stupid stuff like, "He looked at me the wrong way, that's racist!" sort of bull), that's all. But that's for another day and thread.

Don't mind me, my psych meds haven't kicked in all the way yet

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 08-31-2011 at 09:46 AM..

Old 08-31-2011, 09:49 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I went to private school but my neighborhood friends who went to public school attended Hillcrest. They reported similar outbursts when Hillcrest played HPHS in basketball and football.
"That's alright. That's OK. You're gonna work for us someday!"

Stay classy, Scots!

Old 08-31-2011, 09:59 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
So....you're saying that Clarence and my friends from HHS are liars?
Enough with the martyrdom. HPHS students can be completely classless jerks. I'm pretty sure I've said that in every single post on this thread. But the racist pejoratives in 2011 -- by parents -- in a public place -- in front of those races? Yeah, my BS meter is off the charts on that one. I don't believe everything I read on the 'net.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:02 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
Quote:
really? why? Let's say it were true, and I agree I think this sounds a little embellished. But at the end of the day who really cares, it doesn't define you or the place you grew up.
It's just a very hard to believe story. That's all.

And people usually listen to peer pressure. Saying racist stuff will at least warrant a "shut the hell up" by me. Maybe we shouldn't hang out.

Last edited by hamiltonpl; 08-31-2011 at 10:15 AM..

Old 08-31-2011, 10:02 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SC View Post
If Highland Park was collectively racist, would Tre Wilcox's restaurant do as well as it currently is. I think not.

In the seventies we had this thing called a "token". As one of my friends would say, he's their mascot...by adopting him they validate that they aren't "racist".

Old 08-31-2011, 10:07 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
It's just a very hard to believe story. That's all.

And people usually listen to peer pressure. Saying racist stuff like that will at least warrant a "shut the hell up" by me. Maybe we shouldn't hang out.
I would hang out with you just fine HP, no worries.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:23 AM

30 posts, read 54,570 times
In NYC, its the opposite. They shove down your throats what a demigod Obama was and is. And if you disagree with him or his policies, you are a racist. Goes both ways

Old 08-31-2011, 10:30 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizkoteck View Post
In NYC, its the opposite. They shove down your throats what a demigod Obama was and is. And if you disagree with him or his policies, you are a racist. Goes both ways
Are you in NYC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas