Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:11 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,035,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
Not really.

But my wife had 'The Bachelor' on or 'Bachelor Pad' regardless, the entire cast was white. Like 40 people. It might be a bit telling of this country's true thoughts (aside from any Yahoo sports article that generally devolves into overt derogatory slurs) that in 2011 the guy/gal on that show who has pledged to marry a random stranger- as long as they're all the same color.

But what's more interesting is how the eliminations would play out.

Or to stack the deck and make it a 'social experiment' and have the Latino/Asian/Indian guys be substantially taller, wealthier, better looking than the White guys just to see how it all plays out.

For that matter why are the housewife shows (except ATL and DC) monochromatic?
I have no idea what on earth you are talking about. Does anyone else?

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 01:22 PM

19,545 posts, read 17,806,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Exactly my point...Dallas does not have as active and progressive of a black middle class as the DC area has. When I lived there, it was quite obvious that people in North Texas didn't interact well with the black professional crowd there. Being expected to know your place and tow the line is the rule of the day.

And nope, I haven't given up on the brothers yet here in DC either. Lots of educated brothers here about some business.
"Know your place"? I think that's nonsense.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:25 PM

812 posts, read 2,175,548 times
I have a pet peeve. I'm a white male. Age 58. I see a lot of commercials where the white males are stupid, goofy, ridiculous, while the females and Blacks are the smart ones.

The latest is the one where 3 20-something white men are goofing around on their smart phones on a Friday afternoon, when a Black 30 something woman looks in and sneers her disapproval.

The most obvious one was the printed ad for a cholesterol drug that has 3 men eating in a diner. The 2 white men are eating Rubens or cheeseburgers plus Cokes, and the Black man is eating a salad with water, with a halo over his head.

Real racial equality will come when Blacks are on an equal footing as whites, in that they are made fun of in commercials. Ain't gonna happen.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:43 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,135,030 times
Wow. How is it I can watch the exact same commercials and race not even pop into my head?

The fact that it does pop into your head, ggolf, may be telling.

I don't think white guys are idiot goofballs. I think most guys are idiot goofballs. LOL!

Frankly, say what you want about Texas...but I wasn't even aware of there being race issues until I moved to California (from overseas - where I went to a diverse international school) in the 1980s and had it thrown in my face nearly daily.
When I moved here, it became a non-issue again. So Texas haters can suck it, because I have lived the experience.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:14 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,378,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
Read it again.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:29 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,640,758 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
Yes. I got it as an old white woman. Read it again.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:52 PM

419 posts, read 995,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
Negro wake-up call?

I navigated the halls of a prep school (academic scholarship) that boasted children of the Ford and Dodge families. Was an officer for my schools Black Council that came from the Black Action Movement (BAM) during the 80's. Howard University instilled pride in me and my Blackness and the responsibilities of the 'talented tenth' that simply cannot be bought and which I've found lacking in much of Dallas. DC has a visible, active Black progressive class. I survived residency on the east coast. Making any patient feel comfortable and safe, but in some instances an older white person, who never thought they'd share a restaurant or drinking fountain with a Black man, takes a soft touch...and I am never, ever, sick at sea.

What I put out for discussion is just that. I have fun with it.

The point is more, as much a people say they're comfortable with things, television and commercials to some extent tell a contrary tale.

Don't give up on the brothers...a weekend in DC could change your life.
How do you know its your skin color? Frankly, understanding a sentence you wrote in that paragraph is a really difficult task. People may just be confused by your communication skills. If they are anything like your written communication skills, I can promise you they are very confused.

Last edited by HOAPRESIDENT; 08-28-2011 at 03:07 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 03:06 PM

419 posts, read 995,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Exactly my point...Dallas does not have as active and progressive of a black middle class as the DC area has. When I lived there, it was quite obvious that people in North Texas didn't interact well with the black professional crowd there. Being expected to know your place and tow the line is the rule of the day.

And nope, I haven't given up on the brothers yet here in DC either. Lots of educated brothers here about some business.
How do you get determine what "people in North Texas" think about race? Don't you only get to determine how people in North Texas with whom you interacted treated you? And even then, it is only your perception that you are gauging, instead of what was in their heads.

I'm a white dude. I've never had to face discrimination based on race. I can't imagine what it would feel like. However, I take issue with the contention that when a white person is rude to a black person it is racially motivated. Some people are just a$$holes.

Even as a white person, "people in North Texas" occasionally look at me strange. "People in North Texas" aren't immediately at ease with me. "People in North Texas" misunderstand me. "People in North Texas" think I don't belong.

You may assume that white folk have some secret understanding with one another. That somehow, when only white people are in the same room, we we all magically get along and are nice to each other. But I'm here to tell you otherwise. People can be a$$holes, even those who ignore race.

Sometimes, when people are not nice to me, I blame one of my insecurities about my looks or personality. Occasionally I am right. But most of the time, I'm just being insecure. I wonder what percentage of the rudeness you encountered in North Texas was racially based, and what percentage was culturally or just a$$hole based.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:15 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,204,746 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
I do. I'm afraid you may have spent too much time in Branson.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:16 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,378,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOAPRESIDENT View Post
How do you know its your skin color? Isn't it just your insecurity? Frankly, I can't understand a sentence you wrote in that paragraph. People may just be confused by your communication skills.
What am I missing HOVAPRESIDENT?

I think you may have stumbled mid-thread and misunderstood the response.

1) The original topic was essentially why in this age on supposed racial enlightenment are many TV shows still as segregated as they were 40 years ago?

2) The response was to a perceived 'Negro wake-up call' which you can Google on Urban Dictionary.

To clarify my response, I went to a school like St. Mark's, so being Black in a mostly white environment such as Park Cities is not a new experience. I was very active with Black house councils on campus. There have been no surprises, no wake-up calls for me moving to UP. It's very much as advertised and expected.

The thread was about segregated TV shows. My response was that living here has been a non-event.

-ralph ellison's unnamed protagonist

Last edited by GreyDay; 08-28-2011 at 04:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas